PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Coat

DressageOverFences
May. 30, 2011, 06:19 PM
Would you consider a grey hunt coat acceptable for A shows? I haven't shown in a few years so I sold my hunt coat (navy) and now I need a new one. I see grey coats but i'm not totally sure the judges actually like them. Personally, I love the coat, its 60% off, $500 new, teal-ish inside, and I have a lovely grey mare who would compliment it perfectly. Right now I think I want to do jumpers, but I want to be able to transition over to hunters/eq without a problem. I guess my real question is, if I can only afford one coat, should I get a 'trendy' color like grey, or should I buy a lower quality coat in navy? thanks in advance!

kelsey97
May. 30, 2011, 09:13 PM
Jacket trends vary from region to region, I wouldn't call a grey jacket trendy, but perfectly acceptable for hunters in A shows. As for eq, navy has been the standard forever, particularly for medal classes. If you are an ammy I wouldn't worry about wearing a grey jacket in an adult eq class, if you are a junior I'd go with a navy jacket. Navy is most traditional and you can use it in jumper classics as well.

Trilogy48
May. 31, 2011, 11:44 AM
Navy or black is the more traditional color, but for the hunter's I think grey is definitely acceptable. If you plan on doing the equitation I would go with the darker jacket, if not, get the grey :)

Giddy-up
May. 31, 2011, 12:20 PM
I was a die hard plain dark navy girl from my jr eq days. Then the cleaners shrunk my hunt coat! :eek: I now have a dark charcoal gray hunt coat. I wear it in the adult eq & adult jumpers (with my white breeches for classics). I don't feel out of place or out of style.

PNWjumper
May. 31, 2011, 02:40 PM
I vote for the grey coat. I can't think of anything that it would be inappropriate for, and there's just something about riding in a coat you LOVE.... :)

ExJumper
May. 31, 2011, 04:44 PM
Of course! Navy is a must if you are serious about the eq, but for everything else (or if you just use the eq as a warmup, like I do) a gray coat would be fine. I have like 8 coats, and only one of them is navy.