PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Pavers for gap under barn gate?

grayarabs
May. 30, 2011, 04:24 PM
The barn has a large chain link gate. It is the entrance to the property. It is pushed wide open a few times a week for a truck with feed and/or trailer to come and go. There is a gap between the ground and bottom of the gate that we would like to do something about - as the little barn dogs can scoot under the gate. Also would like to keep other small critters out. The whole property is fenced with chain link - the only "sneaky" in/out place is under the gate. I was wondering if a line or two of pavers under the gate would work. Doing that would take up the space. But would they hold up to being driven over? Any thoughts appreciated. TIA.

pdq
May. 30, 2011, 04:43 PM
No, concrete pavers won't hold up. They will fracture and break the first time something heavy crosses them.

You would be better to use rail road ties. They can absorb the weight of a locomotive - hence the heavy farm trucks would be a piece of cake, won't fracture under heavy use, and can be raised high enough to prevent even the most determined doggie from trying to squeak under the gate.

Tom King
May. 30, 2011, 05:33 PM
Lower the gate.

hundredacres
May. 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
Why is there a gap? Tom's very simple idea makes sense...but raising the "gap"? Wouldn't that require the vehicles to get over the gap filler?

grayarabs
May. 30, 2011, 06:52 PM
The area around the gate is dirt. The gate is as low as it can go. At least I don't think it can be lowered, but that is a thought. The bottom is close to the ground where it is attached to the support pole/hinges ??? Then the ground slants down to the other end - where the gate is opened. Probably from erosion and foot traffic. We open the gate just enough to walk in and that area gets a lot of wear. That is where the doggies can get under the gate. BO had fashioned/tied some "heavy" "flaps" to the bottom of the gate and that worked well for months. Then the tiny poodle discovered a way to get out. So we are brainstorming what to do. I think dirt added to level that area would get washed away. The doggies go home with their owners at the end of the day. We would like to try to keep the skunks etc out at night as well..

hundredacres
May. 30, 2011, 07:10 PM
Add some stone?

blaster
May. 30, 2011, 08:59 PM
I've seen people dig a trench and bury 1/2 of a telephone pole. Easy to drive over and yet usually keeps the sand in the arena (or closes the gap in your case).

grayarabs
May. 30, 2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks. Great ideas.