PDA

View Full Version : how "cool" are gpa helmets?

StrawberryFields
May. 30, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hi im looking for a new helmet and I want one that is ventilated and doesn't look like a bike helmet. The Irh helmets do not fit my head and it doesn't seem like charles owen has any! Darn! So my question is, which gpa do u have and how well does the air flow? I really need one that will help my head and face stay cooler! Thanks!:yes:

catosis
May. 30, 2011, 11:28 AM
I have the GPA Titium Pro and LOVE IT. Like any helmet, you are going to get the nasty sweaty helmet hair in the summer, but at the same time it will not give you heat stroke. I highly recommend it. It is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn and after three or so rides it will mold to your head. Also, it is pretty light and feels well balanced.

Elementgrl2
May. 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
I love my Speed Air, it's nice and cool in the summer. I love how you can buy new pads for the GPA'S after they get all nasty also.

Hawks Nest
May. 30, 2011, 12:06 PM
I loved my Speed Air... unfortunately I fell in it and hit my head pretty hard so no more pretty GPA for me, I'm back in my tipperary :(

GingerJumper
May. 30, 2011, 12:07 PM
Charles Owen has the AYR8, but they're not as sporty looking at the GPAs XD I've heard good things about GPAs, but they don't fit me at all so not much help here :P

wanderlust
May. 30, 2011, 12:30 PM
Charles Owen has the AYR8, but they're not as sporty looking at the GPAs XD I've heard good things about GPAs, but they don't fit me at all so not much help here :P They AYR8 has much better ventilation than the GPA Air S or Air Skin, and is about the same as a GPA speed air.

Lucassb
May. 30, 2011, 01:58 PM
They AYR8 has much better ventilation than the GPA Air S or Air Skin, and is about the same as a GPA speed air.

I have a GPA Speed Air that is great in the summer - much cooler than my other helmets. To be honest I don't love the look but it is certainly comfortable. I also have an AYR8 (classic, which is the velvet covered one) that I use to show in and it's also pretty nice, but the Speed Air is definitely cooler.

wanderlust
May. 30, 2011, 02:11 PM
I have a GPA Speed Air that is great in the summer - much cooler than my other helmets. To be honest I don't love the look but it is certainly comfortable. I also have an AYR8 (classic, which is the velvet covered one) that I use to show in and it's also pretty nice, but the Speed Air is definitely cooler. I just borrowed the speed air, but it wasn't baking-hot on the days I used it. I have the silver AYR8, it seemed to reflect a great deal of heat, in addition to providing good ventilation. Much, much cooler than my Air S.

StrawberryFields
May. 30, 2011, 04:21 PM
ohhh i didn't even know that charles owen had a ventilated helmet! I don't love the ventilated looks so this might be a good option for myself.... did anyone else find that it was cooler than a GPA that is ventilated?

Across Sicily
May. 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
They AYR8 has much better ventilation than the GPA Air S or Air Skin, and is about the same as a GPA speed air.

I didn't find this to be remotely true. I rode in an AYR8 all last year and switched to the SpeedAir this year - my head is much cooler and less sweaty. If you hold them both up in front of a fan, you feel the wind through the SpeedAir very easily - not the case with the AYR8.

Yes, the AYR8 is better than the comparable CO models, but not at all more vented than the SpeedAir. I can't speak for the other GPA models, but the SpeedAir is definitely well ventilated.

wanderlust
May. 30, 2011, 05:09 PM
I didn't find this to be remotely true. I rode in an AYR8 all last year and switched to the SpeedAir this year - my head is much cooler and less sweaty. If you hold them both up in front of a fan, you feel the wind through the SpeedAir very easily - not the case with the AYR8.

Yes, the AYR8 is better than the comparable CO models, but not at all more vented than the SpeedAir. I can't speak for the other GPA models, but the SpeedAir is definitely well ventilated. I didn't say it was more vented than the speedair, I said it was much more vented than the Air S. Which it is. I have both. To me, the Speed Air and AYR8 felt about the same, but like I said above, it wasn't on super hot days. The SpeedAir was definitely lighter and less bulky, but the air flow felt similar to me. Who knows, maybe the one I had fit funky or something. I did feel like the silver on the AYR8 makes a big difference in the heat factor.

Starda01
May. 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
I am in South Florida. I have almost fainted n an IRH. I have now a GPA Air S. I is the best most comfortable hot weather helmet I've ever had. I bought it on sale, so I'm sure the GPA Air model, which is more expensive, is even better. No contest, really.

StrawberryFields
May. 30, 2011, 07:58 PM
Starda01, I have almost fainted in an IRH as well! It was soooooo hot I had to get off and take my helmet off to let some air in hahaha!

allintexas
May. 30, 2011, 10:07 PM
I love my Speed Air, much cooler than my previous helmets, even though it doesn't look as nice. It is also more comfortable fitting, and I swear I have better field of vision in it. I haven't tried any other ventilated helmets

alto
May. 30, 2011, 10:19 PM
I loved my Speed Air... unfortunately I fell in it and hit my head pretty hard so no more pretty GPA for me, I'm back in my tipperary :(

Most of the helmet companies have replacement policies in cases of fall - this may be done through the sale shop or directly through the helmet manufacturer: unfortunatetly it's pro-rated over time so after the first couple of years, it's not stupendous, but always better than nothing :lol:

You just write up an accident report & turn over your fallen helmet :)

DMK
May. 31, 2011, 01:34 PM
Starda01, I have almost fainted in an IRH as well! It was soooooo hot I had to get off and take my helmet off to let some air in hahaha!

No kidding, I was pretty sure my IRH was going to be the cause of a TNI (traumatic neck injury) last summer when I passed out and fell off my horse on to my well protected head... and broke my neck.

So I bought an ovation sync for schooling last summer (my "helmet purchase" decision was literally made by looking at all the vents you could see from inside the helmet) and made myself a solemn vow that when the youngster was ready for his show debut, I'm getting a speed air for me. The IRH (schooling) and the GR8 (show) can be for cooler weather thank you very much!

PletchersMom
May. 31, 2011, 09:51 PM
I have a Tipperary because of the vents in it. I sweat alot, and this helmet helps alot due to the ventilation.
I also have a JR8 for shows, and it has NO ventilation...:cry:

Stellar_moves
May. 31, 2011, 10:01 PM
I also live in south Florida and I have just a Charles Owens gr8. It's not ventilated but my head never gets extremely hot. Just the usual sweat after riding in the 100 degree weather(: I love it, extremely comfortable and I love the looks of it. :)

DNB
Jun. 1, 2011, 05:56 PM
I have the GPA Speed Air and I am SO happy with it so far this summer. It's been unseasonably hot (understatement of the year) this summer. Haven't gotten over-heated while riding at all this year. I used to have the velvet Titium and it was just a heat box.

The Speed Air is definitely worth the money. It runs a little large though. I got the next size down from what my Titium was and it fits perfectly.

laughATTACK
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:05 PM
http://www.doversaddlery.com/gpaandreg%3B-first-lady-helmet/p/X1-36141/cn/39/

Absolutely recommend it. The look takes some getting used to, but it's worth it.

comingback
Jun. 1, 2011, 07:36 PM
I sweat and turn red at the drop of a hat (pardon the pun). I originally had a CO GR8 and during the summer I almost passed out numerous times in the 90+ degree heat.

I recently bought the GPA Extreme Pro http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36147&ids=836195835 and while I still sweat, I rode comfortably in 90 + temps with humidity the other day and didn't see stars once.

I don't necessarily feel breezes coming through the vents (although if my head is tilted in a certain way I will). I think it's the escape of the heat from my head that is key. Highly recommend!