PDA

View Full Version : spinoff Laundry: how to install in barn?

Granada
May. 30, 2011, 08:15 AM
I have an extra washing machine, and I want to put it in the barn-- I'm tired of haulling pads 300 ft to the house.

The DH is grumbling about this but I don't see the problem. We have 120 v electrical to the barn and one frost free hidrant. Plus it would clear out space in our garage where the extra washer sits unused.

Is it possible to hook up a washer with our set up, and how? I would not use it in the winter, but is there anything that would need to be done besides draining it in the fall?

I need some ammunition to convince my DH, and if that doesn't work I just might do it myself :winkgrin:

ReSomething
May. 30, 2011, 01:29 PM
Do you want hot water to the washer? Then that means some additional work. Otherwise you could go out and get some Y fittings with valves and hose and just drain the thing out into a flowerbed and you'd be done. Don't wash too frequently though, as the detergent residue can get a little icky.

Granada
May. 31, 2011, 09:38 PM
nope, don't need hot water. good point about the detergent. We have a natural grade away from the barn so I think the water draining will be easy, but it would be into the pasture. Maybe i'll buy mild detergent-- I don't use much with pads anyway as I have a sensitive TB and residual soap makes him itchy.

I did convince the hubby to build a tack room with me over the weekend, but he's still grumbling about the washer... go figure :)

Thanks for the advice!

cyndi
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:39 AM
Do you want hot water to the washer? Then that means some additional work. Otherwise you could go out and get some Y fittings with valves and hose and just drain the thing out into a flowerbed and you'd be done. Don't wash too frequently though, as the detergent residue can get a little icky.

This is basically what I did. I had space near an existing faucet, got a fitting to divide water flow in two, bought a washing machine hose and stuck the drain hose out the window. Have had it for more than two years now. I ride and show three horses so I have more dirty saddle pads than most. Have had it for 2+ years now. I wash about three loads a week on average, probably. Definitely more in the summer than the winter. Freezing is not usually a problem for me as I am on the Texas gulf coast. My washer drains to a garden area and now that we're in a drought, at least that's one place I don't have to water! No issues with detergent residue.

I got mine used for $150- there are many guys who take in broken machines and fix and resell them. If you're patient, sometimes you can get a large capacity one. I figure as little as it gets used (compared to home use) it should last a long time.

cindylouwho
Jun. 2, 2011, 01:02 PM
My washer must be hooked up for each use. I have the fitting to combine the hot & cold into one and hook it to a garden hose. I purchase a longer drain hose that runs out onto the ground. Everything is washed in cold water. During the winter, I use RV antifreeze in the machine so it does not freeze and burst.