PDA

View Full Version : Anyof you live on the road with horses?

howardh
May. 30, 2011, 08:39 AM
Just wondering if any of you are living on the road retired with your horses? What are your monthly costs.....what are great camps to live in.....

Any tips for a person switching to this lifestyle?

PRS
May. 31, 2011, 09:32 AM
Not me, I like the comforts of home too much but here is the Wagonteamster blog:
http://www.wagonteamster.com/html/where_s_bob_-_trip__3.html

This guy started out in 2008 from Indiana with his wagon and team, got hit by a semi in Mississippi and nearly died, got a new wagon and back on the road in 2009 then traveled from Indiana to Colorado in 2010.

scrtwh
May. 31, 2011, 11:03 AM
When we lived in KY, we would go to Land Between the Lakes all the time with our horses. This campground had EXCELLENT horse facilities... anywho, one summer, there was a retired couple who worked the front gate for free summer accomodations for their 2-horse with LQ's. They were retired, and spent 9-10 months out of the year traveling from one horse camp to another, working, and riding the trails.

I use the term "work" loosely. They needed to cover daily camp costs, and that was about three hours a day between the two of them. They loved it. Met some wonderful folks, had a nice set-up with portable stalls for their horses... quite a nice way to retire, for a few years at any rate. :)

birdsong
Jun. 17, 2011, 10:38 AM
Just live RV-ers that do camp hosting...only with horses.

I could do it for several months at a time but not exclusively I don't think.