PDA

View Full Version : What are you tipping grooms?

kimball1
May. 30, 2011, 05:27 AM
Has been a little while since I showed with a full service barn with professional grooms-what are you tipping for a weeklong A show?

vegas01
May. 30, 2011, 09:04 AM
I'm not 100% certain what is correct but I give $25 per show day but no less than $50. If they have to work for a night class, I give them extra plus if we win some money. I also take them to dinner or buy lunch, etc. on a pretty consistent basis. Our grooms work really long, hard hours!

Tha Ridge
May. 30, 2011, 10:53 AM
$20 per day, per horse. Plus, a little more if they go out of their way or have to deal with a particularly difficult horse/situation.

Alterrain
May. 30, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have two horses, but the same guy takes care of both. I usually do $100/ week, more if one of them is champion, wins the classic etc...

If it was 2 different guys, prob around $75 each

Go Fish
May. 30, 2011, 01:11 PM
$10 per day each, including the stall cleaner/feeder. So that amounts to $40 per day at most shows. That's per horse.

I also usually stock their beverage cooler every morning and buy them lunch.

ComeAbout
May. 30, 2011, 01:16 PM
$20.00 per day per horse. Sometimes a little extra if extra work or night classes are required. It's a bargain when condsidering what they do all day!

3DogNight
May. 30, 2011, 04:56 PM
$20 per day per groom (grooms are not necessarily assigned specific horses, so one may help in the morning and another may help in the afternoon). Typically it works out to about $100 to each groom for the show (assuming Thurs - Sunday showing).

lintesia
May. 30, 2011, 07:17 PM
I'm not 100% certain what is correct but I give $25 per show day but no less than $50. If they have to work for a night class, I give them extra plus if we win some money. I also take them to dinner or buy lunch, etc. on a pretty consistent basis. Our grooms work really long, hard hours!

Just curious... how much are you paying per day for grooming?

kenyarider
May. 30, 2011, 09:18 PM
At the risk of being flamed, no more than $50 - remember most of these folks are NOT paying income taxes since a lot of their income is in the form of cash. I am not a fan of supporting the underground economy, no matter how hard the non-tax payer is working.

Tha Ridge
May. 30, 2011, 09:33 PM
At the risk of being flamed, no more than $50 - remember most of these folks are NOT paying income taxes since a lot of their income is in the form of cash. I am not a fan of supporting the underground economy, no matter how hard the non-tax payer is working.

I wish we had an eye-roll smiley. :no:

So, what, just because they don't pay taxes means that they don't have a family to feed or support? Do you stiff your food deliverymen or refuse to pay your gardeners because they might be "illegal"?

Horseshowaddict
May. 30, 2011, 09:40 PM
Thats assuming your grooms are illegal and get paid under the table. If you have a problem with that, then you should bring that up with the people who are employing them. If you have a problem supporting an underground economy, then stop paying the people who pay them, or be willing to pay MORE for your trainers/barn to hire legal workers.

There are a good percentage of grooms that do things on the up and up. A lot also do not get healthcare benefits covered by their employers. So if you actually have proper, law abiding grooms.... A nice tip is appreciated. Working your butt off for someone who doesn't appreciate you is never very motivating. This is coming from someone who groomed, taught lessons, managed a farm, and braided (sometimes all in the same week). Every little bit helps, and is appreciated.

Back to the topic, Ive been tipped anywhere from $300 (RARE, but nice), to have drinks/food provided for me (per week). All I have been very thankful for!

MHM
May. 30, 2011, 09:45 PM
I wish we had an eye-roll smiley. :no:

We do.

:rolleyes: Try : rolleyes : without the spaces.

mvp
May. 30, 2011, 10:10 PM

Fine. So after you are done tipping these guys $50, know that if you had things your way, you'd be paying them a hell of a lot more per day than you are now.

allintexas
May. 30, 2011, 11:03 PM
$20/day at the show per horse, divided up between 2 grooms. more if riding more than once a day, etc. usually $50-$60 each

lawn chair
May. 31, 2011, 12:06 AM
Thats assuming your grooms are illegal and get paid under the table. If you have a problem with that, then you should bring that up with the people who are employing them. If you have a problem supporting an underground economy, then stop paying the people who pay them, or be willing to pay MORE for your trainers/barn to hire legal workers.

There are a good percentage of grooms that do things on the up and up. A lot also do not get healthcare benefits covered by their employers. So if you actually have proper, law abiding grooms.... A nice tip is appreciated. Working your butt off for someone who doesn't appreciate you is never very motivating. This is coming from someone who groomed, taught lessons, managed a farm, and braided (sometimes all in the same week). Every little bit helps, and is appreciated.

Back to the topic, Ive been tipped anywhere from $300 (RARE, but nice), to have drinks/food provided for me (per week). All I have been very thankful for!

This forum needs a "like" button!

Tha Ridge
May. 31, 2011, 12:16 AM
We do.

:rolleyes: Try : rolleyes : without the spaces.

Thanks!

MHM
May. 31, 2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks!

You're welcome! Sometimes that one is very, very necessary. :lol:

REH
May. 31, 2011, 02:01 PM
I suspect that the prices quoted here are on the high side for grooms at your average horse show. People who tip less don't want to subject themselves to the public outrage that is part and parcel to COTH. I think $10/day per horse is fairly standard. More on big event days (like Devon, night classes, derbies) and less on non-showing days.

Summit Springs Farm
May. 31, 2011, 04:37 PM
Well, we would think what most of you are paying are very generous.
We pay $10/per day/per horse. Our grooms are well paid and the tip is extra, we also buy food and drinks alot, but thats just being nice.

Also our grooms usually have 4-6 horses at most. I know the trainer usually also pays a tip so they are pretty well paid.

So for example the trainer pays $35/day per horse= $140-$210 plus $40-$60 per day= $180-$270 per day.

sarcam02
May. 31, 2011, 05:31 PM
I tip $20 per day per groom per assigned horse plus pay $100 per horse each day for grooming

Summit Springs Farm
May. 31, 2011, 11:28 PM
I tip $20 per day per groom per assigned horse plus pay $100 per horse each day for grooming

Wow do you mean you are paying $120/per horse to your groom? SO if your groom has 4 horses he's making $480/day!

3DogNight
Jun. 1, 2011, 01:13 AM
Wow do you mean you are paying $120/per horse to your groom? SO if your groom has 4 horses he's making $480/day!

My last barn had this - it was called a 'day charge fee' and was $100 per horse per day, paid to the trainer (didn't include schooling/coaching). I imagine part of it went to paying the grooms, as it included stall cleaning, feeding, grooming and tacking of horse for classes, bathing and unbraiding at the end of the day. What sucked was that I prefer (and enjoy) to do a lot of that myself, but still had to pay the day charge fee regardless. Part was for show set up and tear down (oh wait, that was an extra $40 per horse). In addition to that, we also tipped the grooms the $20 per horse per day.

No longer at this barn. When a 4 day show runs upwards of $2000, time to move on and reconsider how serious I am about showing.

sarcam02
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:18 AM

I seriously doubt that the grooms are making that BUT that's what the rate for grooming is *big sigh* The funny thing is that I strongly prefer doing EVERYTHING myself but when you show with the barn as a group that's just the way it is. I do always ship my own which saves a huge amount

If I were to do everything myself then the splits (hotel/food) would wind up getting unfairly weighted to those who are not capable do do everything themslves. I only attend a few AA travel shows a year as a result of the crazy costs but it is a fun splurge on very rare occaision.

Typically I ship/braid/groom myself and meet our trainer and the rest of the barn for the one day "A" or local shows and save a considerable amount because of that

Giddy-up
Jun. 1, 2011, 11:32 AM

No, that is what the trainer is charging the clients for grooming. The trainer then pays the groom.

All those supplies & items at shows (buckets, rakes, brushes, set-up, etc...) have to be purchased. I assume some of the grooming fees pay for that.

greenwoodeq
Jun. 2, 2011, 02:29 AM
Our grooms make $300 per horse for thurs-sun shows and then receive a tip of about $50-$100 per horse depending on the rider. We also cover breakfast, lunch, and coffee/drinks during the show for all of the grooms.

Mtn trails
Jun. 2, 2011, 08:01 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say if I'm paying $100/day for grooming - stall, groom, feed, etc. why the need to tip? They are getting paid to do this, this is their job. I am so tired of this tipping mentality, everyone has their hand out expecting to be tipped for doing their job from the people who ring up your lunch at the self-serve salad bar :rolleyes: to the newspaper delivery person who most times just throws your paper on the ground and not even put it in the box that's there for that purpose. No one tips me for doing my job, why do others get tipped for doing theirs?

Bah humbug

Horseshowaddict
Jun. 2, 2011, 09:51 PM
Do the math on the hours that the grooms work for a show. Pretty sure thats sometimes 5am-6pm some days earlier start, and later ending, 6.5-7 days a week. Sadly for our pocketbooks and our sanity, horses don't have an off switch for the days that they dont show, or the days that they aren't being ridden. They also can't take care of themselves, so someone has to do it. And that ain't free.

Im not advocating that EVERYONE must have their own grooms, and must tip them. But I do think its justified. Everything comes out in the wash. Im pretty sure a lot of us feel the same way about paying therapists, lawyers, etc. Yes, they went to school and are highly qualified for their professions. But good grooms did too, they do a lot to be great at what they do.

We could get into griping about braiding costs too... its kind of the same deal.

Giddy-up
Jun. 3, 2011, 09:57 AM
Our grooms make $300 per horse for thurs-sun shows and then receive a tip of about $50-$100 per horse depending on the rider. We also cover breakfast, lunch, and coffee/drinks during the show for all of the grooms.

Wow. $75 per horse per day plus expenses covered. Do you need a groom? :D

kenyarider
Jun. 3, 2011, 10:07 PM
Forgot to mention that I pay the grooms a day fee in addition to the tip. Last time I checked the grooms my barn hired were making $1000 per week each not including the tips from all the clients. They care for 4 horses each.

Aerial
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:12 AM
Nice to see so many people who are generous with the tipping!! As a young female groom (And I was born in the USA and I pay taxes! :lol:) I have to say I really appreciate it when people tip. I often don't get tipped, and it's never as much as you guys are saying (but fair for the most part IMO) but when I'm working my 16th hour, knowing that my work is appreciated really is awesome.

Summit Springs Farm
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:56 AM
Forgot to mention that I pay the grooms a day fee in addition to the tip. Last time I checked the grooms my barn hired were making $1000 per week each not including the tips from all the clients. They care for 4 horses each.

Uh, really...hand over mouth BS!

freshman
Jun. 5, 2011, 02:15 AM

Where do I send my resume?

RougeEmpire
Jun. 5, 2011, 10:50 AM

A lot of us Coaches and Trainers are also "independent contractors", we fall into the same catagory as Grooms i.e 1099 ing it on our taxes. To assume that Independant Contractors don't pay taxes is extremely rude, to assume that because someone is a Groom they cheat on their taxes is also rude. Don't make assumptions about other peoples tax payments. You need to pay/tip for the job they are doing and NOT pay/tip what you THINK they deserve based on your ASSUMPTION about what kind of taxes they are paying. I'd be PO'd if someone tried to pay or tip me LESS than is the norm because they ASSumed I wasn't paying my fair share of taxes. Indpendent Contractors do NOT automaticly = tax evasion.

GrayCatFarm
Jun. 5, 2011, 11:53 AM
Having just done an A show all on my own gives one a true perspective on the demands of a show groom position and why/how much one tips. Bless their hearts, a groom from the show barn next to my measily two stalls went out of his way to be nice to me once he realized I was going it alone. Helped me clear bad hay that had been tossed into my assigned stalls and had to be removed before I could unload. Stopped by to talk, did night check on my guy and fed him one morning when I was a bit late and he was cranky. You bet I tipped him.

Go Fish
Jun. 5, 2011, 01:02 PM
I often don't get tipped, and it's never as much as you guys are saying (but fair for the most part IMO) but when I'm working my 16th hour, knowing that my work is appreciated really is awesome.

I was sort of surprised to learn that only about half of my trainer's customers tip the grooms at shows. I know he "suggests" it at the beginning of each show season so it's evident that some people choose not to tip. No law against it, I guess.

Even if the customers don't appreciuiate how hard you work, I'm sure the horses do!

greenwoodeq
Jun. 5, 2011, 06:00 PM
Wow. $75 per horse per day plus expenses covered. Do you need a groom? :D

I'll let you know if we do ;) haha.
I think it's a pretty sweet deal, but I mean why not make it worth their time. My horse is always stunning and ready on time even if the rings are moving fast or half the class decides to drop. I can run back to the barn and the guys have any horse ready for a grand prix debut instantly (in my eyes at least) and for my horse who is both a messy eater and a roller that is no easy task. They deserve every penny!

KYHunterGirl
Jun. 12, 2011, 11:14 AM
Our full care is $50/day includes everything but tacking/untacking and braiding. If this is what to groom does then $15 a day for a tip. However, our awesome groom at the last show tacked and untacked for us without being asked so we could do more watching our barn-mates show. So I tipped her $25 a day. Thanks goodness I braid so that gets me a little extra to help PAY the groom :)

RollingInTheDeep
Jun. 12, 2011, 12:17 PM
We pay 125/day per horse for full-care, which includes everything, tacking, untacking, bathing, etc. The only thing that isn't included is braiding, which is outsourced and we are billed directly by the braider. They do get unbraided, however. It makes for a wonderful experience and SO stress-free when the only thing expected of us is showing up on time and put together! We can spend as much time as we want with them, or watching, but we have freedom to enjoy the show instead of being tied down to the barn for more than the time it takes to get on and off.

I think the trainer offers day care at about $40/day, which is only feeding and stall maintenance, but I actually can't think of anyone ever taking advantage of this.

I can't imagine having the skill and efficiency to do everything, plus have time to shop, watch, make friends, etc... I so enjoy the freedom.

We tip about 20/day/groom for a light week, 30/day if we win money, it's a bigger show, more is expected, etc. They are on the road for a bout 15 weeks late spring/summer, so it's more than worth it.

Thoughts?

HGem
Jun. 12, 2011, 02:59 PM
No experience with A shows/grooms/tipping. But I did work for a STB racing stable for 5 years. Traveled to the tracks and got $50 per horse I paddocked. Paddocking = prepping the horse at home, loading, riding in the truck 2-4 hrs there, babysitting the horse, getting lasix/blood drawn on time, harnessing, hooking up the horse, bathing/cooling out, cleaning and packing equipment, same amt hrs in the truck going home, unloading and making sure they had water/food before going home.

Somedays you would go by yourself with one horse. $50 for aprox 5-8hrs. Other times you would go with 5 horses and 3 grooms = $83 for atleast 8-10 hrs (all on top of your normal 6am-noon work day). And in those cases you were running around with your head cut off, constatly watching the clock, juggling warm up times, race times, blood times, etc. And if a horse won someone had to stay with it till it peed - meaning you were down a groom most of the night! Some nights were straight up crazy.

We never got tipped. Never got paid more. Never a "good job". Even if the horse won. All I can say is - if you value your groom, they do a good job and take good care of your horse. SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION. Whether money, a free lunch, or a genuine "good job" - because your groom won't stick around for long if they feel underappreciated.

RollingInTheDeep
Jun. 12, 2011, 07:08 PM
I forgot, that doesn't include trainer fee which is 90/day for warmups, flatting, lessons, schooling, etc.

SillyHorse
Jun. 13, 2011, 02:17 PM
Having just done an A show all on my own gives one a true perspective on the demands of a show groom position and why/how much one tips. Bless their hearts, a groom from the show barn next to my measily two stalls went out of his way to be nice to me once he realized I was going it alone. Helped me clear bad hay that had been tossed into my assigned stalls and had to be removed before I could unload. Stopped by to talk, did night check on my guy and fed him one morning when I was a bit late and he was cranky. You bet I tipped him.
He definitely earned that tip, as he went way above and beyond what he was paid to do. You got lucky!

stella3
Jun. 13, 2011, 08:26 PM
Great thread, as we were just discussing this today. First I would like to say it is nice to see so many appreciative people here.

I am a rider/groom I was born in USA and pay taxes and supply my own health insurance, housing etc. I think the standard day rate a customer gets charged for this area is 100$/day for groom. However, the way it works at my barn is that the BO takes a cut of that. So if we have 4 horses going I only make $100 per day, while barn pockets any extra ($300 for 4 horses). After working from 4:30-6 PM then going back to do night check it works out to about 7 dollars an hour. Then pay taxes on it, it's about 5 dollars an hour. Which I think most people realize it is awfully tough to live on. Grooms REALLY appreciate tips.

I honestly, have decided not to groom for my barn anymore at shows because of how little the pay is when you do all the math ESPECIALLY if the owner/rider doesn't tip. I make more money staying at home hacking the horses that didn't go to the show.