PDA

View Full Version : Barn Laundry?

bluebuckets
May. 30, 2011, 12:40 AM
Specifically, the smell of post-barn laundry.:cool:

I need some laundry help. So, I have a lamb and a horse, and Sunday is mucking out day (boarding barn staff have the day off, so boarders muck out, and lamb gets mucked out too, but that barn is rather dirty at the moment so I try to clean a part of it per week as well).

My clothes... well, they end up smelling like livestock. And not in a pleasant way. Lately, throwing them through the wash hasn't completely gotten rid of the smell either. Any ideas to nix the sheep/horse manure pile smell? Or are these clothes toast? (Nooooo! It cannot be, there are some nice breeches in the bunch!) Please help! I need reccomendations for jeans and t-shirts as well as polos (Joules and PRL) and breeches (Irideons and TS). I don't use the nicer stuff to muck out, haha, but after a day of summer showing I might as well have. Thank you!

casper324
May. 30, 2011, 07:42 AM
I've been up to my muck boots in yuck and just about every other pair of shoes I have have that wonderful yuck barn yuck smell.......so I washed them. Yup, threw those leather Ariats in a laundry bag and sent them through the cycle. Add a little baking soda and few squirts of Fabreeze and they are as good as new!

Baking soda works wonders for getting odors out!

jn4jenny
May. 30, 2011, 07:50 AM
Baking soda works, but if you've got hardcore odors, go with Borax.

The detergent you use can also make a difference. I convinced my barn owner to switch to homemade laundry detergent made with Fels Naphtha soap, washing soda, and borax. The borax cuts the odors and ups the cleaning power, and the Fels Naphtha is amazing for cutting through organic greases and oils (in fact the Boy Scouts recommend it for people with poison ivy!). The barn laundry has come out fresh and clean with this mix, but BO reports that she has to add extra Borax to deal with "boy laundry". ;)

carolprudm
May. 30, 2011, 07:51 AM
Tide and probably others make detergents for athletic wear like gym clothes. Normally I use the unscented detergents but that really works on the stinky stuff.

bluebuckets
May. 30, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks, guys. I will definitely try these suggestions out!

COTH really is diverse, isn't it? :yes:

Mali
May. 30, 2011, 05:21 PM
ODOBAN! You can buy it in a gallon bottle for around $13 at Home Depot. It is great to toss a cupful in the laundry, or dilute it in a spray bottle to freshen carpet and upholstered funiture, drapes, etc.
It's a eucalyptus scent, so a little more appealing to me than the flowery Febreeze. Plus, I use was using alot of Febreeze in the laundry, and the Odoban comes out MUCH cheaper! My husband is a dairy farmer, so I know all about that lingering "barn odor" ;)