PDA

View Full Version : So, Tractor Supply Occasionally has Good Deals...

Dressage.For.Life.
May. 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
So, Tractor Supply occasionally has some good deals...

Like, how I just purchased a gallon of Endure fly spray for $49.99. :D Apparently, they're no longer carrying the gallon jugs of Endure. Normal cost is $79.99. I could've gotten it online for $55 but probably would've had to pay a little in freight. Maybe I should've gotten two gallons... :lol:

And last year, I scored Cashel fly masks w/ ears for $19.00. Normal cost is like $21.95 or something so I'll be keeping my eyes open because last year my horse developed a thing for destroying fly masks... :mad:

Oh, and my local Tractor Supply said that they will still price match, too.

GoForAGallop
May. 29, 2011, 07:02 PM
Mine has 8 cu. ft. bags of shavings on sale right now (through this weekend?) for $4.50. Cheap, around here anyway.

poltroon
May. 29, 2011, 07:14 PM
My experience with the TSC shavings is that they expand less, are not as dry, and are not as high quality as other shavings - ie, I end up needing to buy more bags and in the end don't really save money.

Gryhnd
May. 29, 2011, 09:03 PM
My experience with the TSC shavings is that they expand less, are not as dry, and are not as high quality as other shavings - ie, I end up needing to buy more bags and in the end don't really save money.

FYI, If you haven't bought them recently, they may have another kind, labeled "fine", in your local store. I had not bought any from them in quite awhile, but our local feed store was out, so had to get a few from TSC to tide us over. As I was trying to find them in the store, one of the employees came over to help me and asked me if I wanted what they had on the shelf or the newer ones that are finer. I said the newer ones. I thought they were not too bad.

GoForAGallop
May. 29, 2011, 09:20 PM

Funny, I just went to the site to see if it were a national sale, and read all the terrible reviews! I only picked up two bags, because I only have one horse who uses them (the neater ones are on pellets, but he needs his stall stripped daily so just gets a layer of shavings) and they aren't in in the summer that often. I haven't broken one open yet, but maybe I will tomorrow just to see.

Looks like, based on the reviews, I might just be better off paying the $1.00 more at my local store! (Which I really should be doing anyway, as I "own it" as a co-op member, but it's hard to walk away from cheap shavings!)

back in the saddle
May. 29, 2011, 09:27 PM
I've gotten to where I like the TSC's shavings. They pack down easier and when trying to keep 5" packed without moving (previously foundered horse), one that stay in place work best. The 'brand' ones they used to have (maybe still do in some places) are fluffier, but they don't stay in place as well. I needed more of the brand ones just to keep a decent layer in one spot. ???

Rabtfarm
May. 30, 2011, 07:52 AM
Our local pine lumberyard finally after 20 years went to volume discount pricing. These are the basic brown kraft paper wrapped pine fine shavings 7. 2 cubic foot bags. Based 1/2 hr north of Portsmouth,NH, they were selling tractor trailer loads to Massachusetts. They want $4.00 per bag in quantities of 50 plus. (This would be filling a 2 horse bumper pull). I used to haul in 5-10 bags at a time but I prefer this once every two months arrangement.(Sort of like getting in hay weekly versus all at once).
I did try some "shavings" that were from an Agway, came in black plastic bags. These were basically coarse wood chips from a Morbark wood chipper rather than shavings derived from a woodworking shaper or molder. (That wood chip stuff was junk).