PDA

View Full Version : Barns in Somerset/Middlesex County, NJ

halterskalter11
May. 29, 2011, 01:08 PM
Hey guys!

I'm a Rutgers - New Brunswick student and I'm finally considering moving my horse up there with me. Right now he's at a farm about an hour south of my apartment in NB, and it's just not working for me. I'd like to move him closer, so I'm asking for recommendations from the COTH gang!

Just about the only thing I require facilities-wise in a barn is an indoor. I'm a first level dressage rider, I take lessons with a clinician in Flemington. I don't need a trainer on-site. I don't even need it to be a dressage-focused place, though I'd like an area to ride that isn't littered with jumps too badly.

I'm looking at Black Horse Stable (http://www.blackhorsestable.com/index.htm), but they only turnout for 6 hours and their 3 page "information for potential boarders" flyer portrays them as a bit uptight.

I'd love a small private barn in the area, but can't seem to find them.

I'd like to travel no farther than ~35 minutes from New Brunswick. Pasture board is fine, as long as there are sheds and grass. My budget tops out at around $450.

Thanks for any suggestions!

JanWeber
May. 29, 2011, 01:34 PM
Hi - Black Horse Stable is no longer in business (lost to foreclosure, I believe) - but had a questionable reputation anyhow. I've heard some mixed things about the people who are running that facility now - their boarders have called me looking for a place to move their horses to. Your best bet is a backyard barn in the Amwell Valley (go to the trail association website for classifieds) www.avta.net. You are not likely to find an indoor for $450, but you should be able to find decent care in a backyard barn. There is, however, a person on Amwell Road in Hillsborough offering pasture board at $350/month. I called him because my barn is full and I get a fair number of inquiries; his is self-care only and has NO facilities. He provides - grass. And a place to eat it. Was non-committal when I asked about run-ins. He does not fill water tubs or feed horses.

halterskalter11
May. 29, 2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the ATVA classifieds, hopefully I can find something close enough to me.