PDA

View Full Version : Saddles with front/wither gussets

tdomino2
May. 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
After fruitless searching, I have determined that my horse needs a saddle with front gussets (also called wither gussets). I did wither tracings and he measured a medium, but just about everything I've tried sits down on his withers. The girl who leases him rides dressage, and her Prestige Lucky fits him just about perfectly. I am looking for more of an all-purose, something with a deeper seat than my close contact, that I can flat him in and go bomb around on trails in. Other saddles that fits him decently are an old Jeffries dressage saddle and a Barnsby Omega.

Saddles that don't fit:

Stubben Tristan
really old County close contact
really old Tad Coffin all-purpose
cutback Crosby
old Crump close contact
Stalker-Nafey Radnor all-purpose

Does the collective wisdom of COTH have any suggestions for saddles that have front gussets, or anything that might fit him?? I can post pictures if it helps!

Thanks in advance!

STA
May. 29, 2011, 09:58 AM
I am not sure of exactly the type of saddle you are looking for, but there are several saddles made with adjustable gussets. I thought maybe one of those might work for your horse.
Please let us know how your search goes for future reference.

I wrote gussets, when I meant gullets as pointed out by meupatdoes below, my apology.

meupatdoes
May. 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
The saddles that have (or can be ordered new) with front gussets are generally English made wool flocked saddles.
The foam-filled and French saddles are generally more problematic on these types of horses and they very rarely have anything resembling gussets, so you would probably have to order new.

I would lean toward Albion or Black Country; these are wool flocked and many are available used with the gussets. Brand new there are models in both lines that can be had for $2,500.

Try giving Trumbull Mountain saddlery a call. They carry a lot of used saddles (Black Country, Albion, etc) and may be able to help.

meupatdoes
May. 29, 2011, 10:08 AM
I am not sure of exactly the type of saddle you are looking for, but there are several saddles made with adjustable gussets. I thought maybe one of those might work for your horse.
Please let us know how your search goes for future reference.

Are you talking about adjustable guLLets?

Gussets are a completely different thing.
I have never heard of an "adjustable gusset" other than having a saddle fitter reflock the panel.

Every saddle has gullet, not all of them have gussets.

vxf111
May. 29, 2011, 10:36 AM
The saddles that have (or can be ordered new) with front gussets are generally English made wool flocked saddles.
The foam-filled and French saddles are generally more problematic on these types of horses and they very rarely have anything resembling gussets, so you would probably have to order new.

I would lean toward Albion or Black Country; these are wool flocked and many are available used with the gussets. Brand new there are models in both lines that can be had for $2,500.

Try giving Trumbull Mountain saddlery a call. They carry a lot of used saddles (Black Country, Albion, etc) and may be able to help.

OP, my horse needed front gussets too. I ultimately determine my (limited) choices were Black Country, Albion, County, and Frank Baines. I just ordered two Black Country saddles... biting my nails waiting to get them!

tdomino2
May. 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the tips so far! I am indeed talking about gussets, not gullets. Thanks for clarifying!

I am sort of working with Trumbull Mountain--that's who I sent my wither tracings to. I was hoping not to spend quite as much as most of their saddles cost, but if my options are really limited to those 4 makers, I might just have to bite the bullet.

Would love to hear more suggestions! Keep 'em coming! Thanks!

Tegan
May. 29, 2011, 12:49 PM
Yep, Black Country! The Wexford is a nice comfy deep saddle. I found the flap to be a little too restrictive, so I went with the Ricochet, which is the Wexford tree and seat, and the Quantum flaps.

You may be able to find one used. I wonder if wither gussets are something that can be added to a saddle without them? Anyone know?

eventer_mi
May. 29, 2011, 01:26 PM
The Prestige has a very high pommel and deep seat, which is probably why it fits your horse. I have an Amerigo dressage saddle that's too wide for my Trakehner, who also needs wither gussets but is a med-wide tree, which actually has wither clearance because of the high pommel. So, saddles with high pommels (some of the Frenchies) might also fit your horse - ones that fit mine were Devoucoux, Antares, and CWD. You might be able to find them used, but they will probably run the same price as a new Black Country.

I have the Tex Eventer with wither gussets and it fits my Trak like it was made for him - a computer pressure scan with me in the saddle proved that. So, I am going to second the recommendation for a Black Country. If you don't like deep seats, the Tex Eventer might fit the bill.

meupatdoes
May. 29, 2011, 03:19 PM
Oh, seeing now that you are in the Ithaca area, you may want to also give Kate at www.dutchessbridlesaddle.com a call.

Ithaca is within her drive radius and she can come out and measure your horse in person. She represents Albion and Black Country Saddles (and some others which may work for less money like a Fairfax or a Kent and Masters) so she could probably get you something used or new. She is my saddlefitter and has always been fantastic and is highly respected in the saddle fitting world.

One of my friends from Ithaca is going to order a new dressage saddle from her; if you do decide to schedule something with Kate drop me a line and I can let my friend know to try to schedule something at the same time to make the driving easier for Kate.

vxf111
May. 29, 2011, 06:40 PM
Kate is who I worked with for my saddles.

cleozowner
May. 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
Black Country, Black Country, Black Country! Come ride in mine sometime! Mine has wither gussets.

2tempe
May. 29, 2011, 09:21 PM
You might want to contact a County rep. I'm a dressage person, but have an older TB w/ high withers. They put something in their saddles called "skid row" panels which are designed to revent the correct size tree from sitting too low on the withers. Guessing they can do this on an all purpose or jumping saddle as well. Worked out GREAT for him.

tdomino2
May. 31, 2011, 08:06 AM
Can anyone talk to be about the County DresPri? In my searches it has been by far the most affordable used County I've seen, but I'm skeptical.

vxf111
May. 31, 2011, 08:20 AM
Can anyone talk to be about the County DresPri? In my searches it has been by far the most affordable used County I've seen, but I'm skeptical.

IIRC it's some sort of convertible "all purpose." I can't imagine it was a big seller for County and I don't think they offered it long. I think that model pre-dates "skid row panels," which is what County calls the panel configuration you're searching for. At least-- I've never seen or heard of a Despri w/ skid row panels.

eventer_mi
May. 31, 2011, 11:28 AM
Drespri? Eh. Had one once and didn't care for it at all, but then, I hate deep seated AP saddles. The forward position wasn't forward enough for me (long femur) and the balance of the saddle was somewhere between a jumping and a dressage, which put me in a chair seat if I rode with a long stirrup and enabled me to pinch with my knee and tip forward over jumps. Not a fan.