PDA

View Full Version : Power Trimmer

ayrabz
May. 29, 2011, 06:49 AM
http://www.drpower.com/trimmer-mower.aspx

For any of you who have one or have had one of these:

Can you tell me your opinions? We're considering one for the property....My mom has a hard time with 'carrying' and walking with the hand held ones...as well as, the little push mower for small areas has also just died, and this has a 22 inch cut, so we thought it might be time to justify this purchase. Some of my concerns are: Can you walk ALONG the fencelines and get around the posts and under the bottom rail...or do you have to use it 'back and forth' underneath the rail perpendicular vs. parallel --(because to me, that kind of deafeats the purpose!)

and: if you do have one, do you have the now offered self propelled? The machine seems heavy? 77 lbs without self propelled, 88 lbs with----and I just don't know if the self propelled function is worth it, or if it will usually have to be 'off' for trimming?

Its a big purchase for us, and I'd love horse folk/fenceline folk's input!

TIA

dawglover
May. 29, 2011, 07:18 AM
I tried one and wasn't impressed. They are heavy, and take a bit of strength to wrestle around, especially in heavier growth.
I bought a string trimmer on wheels from Sears. It uses heavier duty "string" than the handheld trimmers and does a fab job with my fencelines. I have 3 rail vinyl and Electrobraid.

deckchick
May. 29, 2011, 07:48 AM
I bought a Swisher model. here is the link. It cost me about $450.00 Canadian, it's no heavier then a lawn mower and I love it! I recommend it to everyone, my neighour has one now too. Get one for your Mom, she will love it.

I found the DR products way too pricey for me....

http://www.swisherinc.com/trim_n_mow.asp

I don't know where you are, but if you go here, (http://www.swisherinc.com/dealers.asp) you will see US dealers that carry that model. Mills Fleet Farm sells them for $319.00 US.

ayrabz
May. 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks guys.
Yeah, the price is certainly scarey...but what I'm concerned with is one with electric start and to know? if the self propelled would be easier?.....The one at Sears (at least online) is showing now not available?...(and I'm guessing? not elect. start, etc) and the Swisherinc. one : same thing? (I liked how the head on that one rotated in left or right, though!!!)
I hope someone who does have one of these (!) might still chime in... and any other suggestions! :o)

deckchick
May. 30, 2011, 08:54 AM
I have had self propelled lawnmowers, and IMHO, they are not worth the bother. With the trimmer, you will not be walking in a straight line for a long distance, at least I never seem to, so I don't see why you would want that feature. I used to fight the mower to turn corners when it wanted to go straight, it would spin out and if it was damp at all, would tear up the grass.

I store my trimmer inside, I've had it for 4 years now and it starts with one pull every time, so again, I would highly recommend the Swisher. My only comment is, get lots of the string, I do go through a fair bit of it, but I seem to hit a lot of fence posts, so it's my own fault.

Tiki
May. 30, 2011, 09:30 AM
I've returned 2 different DR trimmers.

Guilherme
May. 30, 2011, 09:38 AM
We tried one years ago and it was not a success. It's a fairly pricy solution to a problem. They might be OK for some limited uses, but not for anything "large scale."

G.