View Full Version : Dressage Trainers & Boarding Des Moines?

May. 28, 2011, 01:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm interviewing for a job in Des Moines and am curious about the Dressage scene - specifically trainers and places to board. Can anyone help or share names/contact info?

May. 29, 2011, 10:16 AM
Anyone? There must be someone or is there only corn?

Sparky Boy
May. 29, 2011, 01:11 PM
There are a few hunter barns. I don't know about dressage barns. Maybe north of the city?

May. 30, 2011, 09:07 AM
In searching around, i found only combined training/eventing or H/J. Uh oh. How far would i have to travel for good coaching?

May. 31, 2011, 12:04 PM
This place is about 2 hours from Des Moines; I have no current first-hand knowledge of it:

May. 31, 2011, 12:19 PM

May. 31, 2011, 01:29 PM
These GMO sites might have more info

May. 31, 2011, 01:35 PM
In searching around, i found only combined training/eventing or H/J. Uh oh. How far would i have to travel for good coaching?

You might want to PM Camstock, she lives in the DM/Ames area. I know she teaches dressage, but I do not know to what level. There is an instructor from Missouri who used to visit two of the Ames barns once a month-- Marina Paris-Woodhead or something like that. As for boarding, I cannot think of any dressage barns, but there are some hunter/jumper in that area.

Shagyas Rock
May. 31, 2011, 05:03 PM
Hello, yes, we have dressage in Iowa - I suggest you contact the Iowa Dressage and Combined Training Assn - www.iadcta.org. Des Moines is a wonderful central location and we have several good instructors depending on your level.
The Iowa Dressage Classic show is being held June 18-19 in the Des Moines area. You can find details at www.dressageinfo.com.

Welcome to Iowa. We are famous for our warmth, friendliness and hospitality and we hope you are happy here!

May. 31, 2011, 07:05 PM
Could you be more specific about what you're looking for? The type (and I don't mean breed) of horse you have, the level you and your horse are at and would like to reach, do you want full training or board and access to coaching, etc? That would help folks point you in the right direction.

If you'll be in the area the weekend of the Classic, you should stop by :) It's at Maffitt Lake, a facility just south of WDM.

Jun. 2, 2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. I'll need a place for my horse to live with an indoor so we can ride all year around. In addition, I'll need access to coaching/training. Are there professionals who visit the area and offer weekly or monthly lessons? Right now i live at farm with trainer so i'm spoiled - however I do my own riding. My horse is a young Dutch WB.

Jun. 2, 2011, 02:38 PM
Canterbrooke Equestrian Center is in Ames, about half an hour north of DSM. They do primarily dressage, some eventing, and pony club (and this morning I saw a horse and rider doing some very good western work. Nice to see the relaxation.) CEC has a nice atmosphere. Horses are happy. Standard-sized (20 x 60m ) indoor with excellent footing and mirrors. Heated viewing area and barn. Small (20 x 400) outdoor dressage arena, large outdoor jumping arena, trails, lots of turnout. I keep several training horses there and teach there and Marina PW comes there approximately monthly. http://canterbrooke.com/default.aspx

As someone said, I am primarily an eventing trainer, but in my training, everything is based on dressage principles. I am also studying to be a USEA dressage judge. I am comfortable and have had good success teaching and training to third level. Sorry for the ad, but information about dressage options was requested! :-)

Also, as others have said, IaDCTA is a good resource. Maybe just throw down the $35 bucks to join and get the monthly newsletter, which will hook you in to the dressage scene right off the bat. Also, I think there are old newsletters on the site. They would be a good investment of time to peruse. The EIDCTA is over in eastern Iowa and may be of help, but most of their stuff is a two hour drive. Nice group, though.

Whatever you decide, welcome to Iowa!

Jun. 2, 2011, 05:30 PM
Sent you a PM. Actually, two by accident;)

Jun. 2, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm a pretty serious dressage geek and if I was moving to the area Bill Coester's farm that podpony posted (http://windsreachfarm.com/index.html) would be on my list.

I haven't been to Bill's farm in Iowa but I have worked with him elsewhere. He is a solid trainer, horseman and person. He's got a good background in horsecare, eventing and dressage including a long-standing training relationship with the Ishoys.

His barn is probably friendly and low-stress but the low-key vibe doesn't mean you wouldn't be getting quality training and care. If it isn't convenient for you I'd give him a call and ask for recommendations closer to you.

You might also be able to trailer-in for a long weekend there or clinics - he's got a lot of terrain and you could get lessons to boot. You might want to call rather than email as I'm not sure if he responds to emails as readily as those of us that are chained to computers do.

Good luck.