PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Trailer

kichiri_kachiri
May. 28, 2011, 12:46 AM
Hi, moving back to NoVA for the summer and looking to purchase a horse trailer while I'm home. I'd love to get a Hawk, but can't find any local :cry: So far, these are the trailers I've seen that fit my criteria (2H BP Straight Load w/ Ramp and DR). Any recommendations/experiences/reviews/advice? I'll be using it to haul to local shows as well as from VA to NY 2x/year (college) Hauling with a V6 Toyota 4Runner (5000lbs max, fully loaded). Thanks :D

2002 Exiss SS 20 RP (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/grd/2405930371.html)
2004 Sundowner SunLite 737 (http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=Classifieds&sub=view&ID=70073)
1996 Kingston Deluxe (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/grd/2400399469.html)
2000 Sundowner (http://virginia.ponyclub.org/classifieds.php) (not sure if still avail.)

Also let me know if you're in the area and selling a trailer (that meets the specs above) or know someone who is :)

rustbreeches
May. 28, 2011, 12:50 AM
Exiss and Kingstons are great. I am not a Sundowner fan, due to some quality issues

mvp
May. 28, 2011, 06:25 AM
Off the top of my head, I wouldn't choose a Sundowner. Read around for stuff on rusting frames that the company won't stand behind.

The design in the 2004 one has never appealed to me.

The Kingston would be a pretty solid trailer. What's the price? Is it lots cheaper than the Exiss at $9,500?

The other Sundowner is $6,500 or so?

I guess I'd use that as my range and see how close to 6,500 the Kingston might get.

Small but important hijack:

PSA people!

On the VA Region Pony Club Page (Sundowner 2000 link), there is a 2002 Ford Truck y'all need to consider.

It's one of those great 7.3L diesels with only 124K on it for $12K.

GoForAGallop
May. 28, 2011, 07:50 AM
With your tow vehicle, I would not be looking at trailers with dressing rooms. I'm not going to say that you shouldn't be towing with the vehicle at all, because that's your funeral and all that jazz, but requiring a dressing room on the trailer is pushing you into some pretty dangerous territory.

I looked up some quick specs and those trailers all weigh around 2500lbs, which is half of your tow capacity. Two average-sized 1000lb horses bumps you up to scraping the belly of your tow rating, and that's before you start adding hay bales (at 50lbs at a time, they add up fast), saddles, brush boxes, pails of water, etc. And don't forget that you also need to factor what's IN the vehicle (that's people, dogs, etc) into the GVW of your vehicle.

Apart from the safety issues of operating so close to your max weight, you are going to kill your vehicle's transmission in short order.

If you simply cannot work another hauling vehicle, start looking for 2-horse stock trailers with no dressing room, or some of the lighter brands of horse trailers, again with no dressing room. I hauled for a long time with a 1500 diesel Suburban, tow rating of 8500lbs. I finally got sick of it whining and kicking down to granny gear on any sort of sizable hill, and upgraded to a 2500GMC, which floats around like a butterfly on any terrain, even with a trailer packed to the gills. Your Toyota is going to sit at the bottom of a big hill and just sob.

kichiri_kachiri
May. 28, 2011, 08:54 AM
I looked up some quick specs and those trailers all weigh around 2500lbs, which is half of your tow capacity. Two average-sized 1000lb horses bumps you up to scraping the belly of your tow rating, and that's before you start adding hay bales (at 50lbs at a time, they add up fast), saddles, brush boxes, pails of water, etc. And don't forget that you also need to factor what's IN the vehicle (that's people, dogs, etc) into the GVW of your vehicle.

Apart from the safety issues of operating so close to your max weight, you are going to kill your vehicle's transmission in short order.

Thanks for the advice. I have been considering getting one with no DR, but for now I won't be towing two horses anytime in the near future- at least not until I get a vehicle more suited to it, prob after graduation. For now it's just gonna be me, my equipment, and my ~900lbs pony.

kichiri_kachiri
May. 28, 2011, 09:02 AM
The Kingston would be a pretty solid trailer. What's the price? Is it lots cheaper than the Exiss at $9,500?

Surprisingly, it's the cheapest of them all at $6000... possible b/c its 15 y/o?

judybigredpony
May. 28, 2011, 10:01 AM
The Kingston while a VERY nice trailer will be heavier to haul then a Hawke.

Look on line or Call Frank Dibella
DiBella's Trailers Sheridon Lane, PottsTown PA.

Frank will know weight specs and tow rates for trailers and truck combo's...

He sells Hawke's and Kingston

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
May. 29, 2011, 10:44 PM
have you looked at a Brendrup? Your vehicle should tow that well.

jody jaffe
May. 30, 2011, 07:16 AM
Call Frank DiBella and talk to him. I searched forever for a trailer, then called him. He had exactly what I wanted, and even checked out the truck I was looking at to see if it would be a good match.
He's been in the business forever, has a wealth of knowledge, he's honest and stands by his trailers.
jj

blaster
May. 30, 2011, 07:23 AM
Here's a 2001 trailet in PA for $8900

http://ebayc.us/11384329

Heart's Journey
May. 31, 2011, 12:36 PM
Trail-ets are heavy as they are aluminum skin just like Kingston and Hawk. I think you're better off with the Exiss, but do agree you need to watch the weights as you would be at the top or over your limit.

GoForAGallop
May. 31, 2011, 01:06 PM
Here's a 2001 trailet in PA for $8900

http://ebayc.us/11384329

Trail-ets are heavy as they are aluminum skin just like Kingston and Hawk. I think you're better off with the Exiss, but do agree you need to watch the weights as you would be at the top or over your limit.

Yup, a Trail-et -- especially with dressing room -- will not be an option unless OP wants to upgrade her tow vehicle. They are heavy, sturdy trailers (and I recommend them to everyone who has the proper tow vehicle!) but mine weighs in at around 3500lbs, empty, which is wayyy too heavy for what the OP is towing with.