View Full Version : Marj Armstrong. Nuno Oliveria video

Classical Truth
May. 28, 2011, 12:17 AM
What do you think about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpKMkt8S55s

:confused:

indyblue
May. 28, 2011, 02:04 AM
You will get two answers to your question. One will say its the way dressage should be a lament the old days.The other will say is crappola.

enjoytheride
May. 28, 2011, 08:59 AM
I don't see the problem? I see a horse learning how to counter canter.

longride1
May. 28, 2011, 10:38 AM
Is this a troll? The very next video in the cue is this one
http://youtu.be/kSnTbZvX8a4

indyblue
May. 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
Ah I see from your one and only other post that you have some sort of issue with Marji Armstrong from Australia who trained with Nuno and gives clinics in classical dressage.Why don't you get to the point and say what you want to say?

Velvet
May. 28, 2011, 07:39 PM
Really liked the second vid posted.

MyssMyst
May. 28, 2011, 08:52 PM
I really am not seeing a problem here. I enjoyed watching the second video.

ToN Farm
May. 28, 2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, the riding in the second video was pretty spectacular. However, I felt it was asking too much.

The first video..:eek: Some pretty funky riding going on in that ring.

Isabeau Z Solace
May. 28, 2011, 08:56 PM
:cool:

I'm diggin' the riding outfits in the second video. 1970 something ?

alicen
May. 28, 2011, 09:17 PM
Polyester leisure suits?

What is this thread about?

Petstorejunkie
May. 28, 2011, 10:14 PM
Alicen,
it's about disco at X

duh!
:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMcqt6YRaOg
:winkgrin:

merrygoround
May. 28, 2011, 11:03 PM
I don't see the problem? I see a horse learning how to counter canter.

I see a horse doing a very shallow H/P, with a rider on top flopping about like a bag of soiled laundry. I see a horse doing a rein back in defense of his rider's so called collecting aids, which I assume were designed to acquire the finally achieved counter canter, in which the rider's seat is slapping the saddle repeatedly.

The horse already knew the counter-canter!! It is the rider who must learn to ride counter canter.

I suspect the OP has a deep antipathy to the pictured rider, who I hope in the intervening years between then and now, has learned to organize her seat and core and ride.

;) I too enjoyed the second video. :yes:

Foxtrot's
May. 29, 2011, 01:19 AM
It is odd how often new posters come on the board with what amounts to troll-like posts...and then there are the cheery types who come in new with introductions and will immediately have cred.

Velvet
May. 29, 2011, 01:35 AM
Then there are us old farts. :lol:

Velvet
May. 29, 2011, 02:37 AM
What I really liked most in the second vid was the horse. He was happy and forward in the work and looked fit so he also seemed fresh enough at the end the he could have done more. :yes:

mbm
May. 29, 2011, 03:04 AM
you RODE in her clinic? how it your horses way of going her fault?

indyblue
May. 29, 2011, 04:46 AM
Did something get deleted MBM?

mbm
May. 29, 2011, 01:12 PM
lol! yup.

i always think it is a mind bend when you stumble across these threads where (many) posts have been deleted.... its like hearing only half the conversation lol!

lochsley
May. 31, 2011, 12:05 AM
Another youtube link for Marji Armstrong below, she is lungeing a horse using knitting wool as the lunge line, now that's control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esTSOSqEFRw

I have ridden in some of Marji's clinics, and also seen her ride in recent years, she has a lovely quiet seat, reminiscent of Nuno himself, and the way the horses respond that really shows the magic.

Merrygoround, I see the OP has copied some of your comments onto the youtube clip. Still, at the end of the footage Nuno sounded happy with the horses progress, I guess he speaks for himself.

Classical Truth
May. 31, 2011, 01:09 AM
I have done a lot of research on Marj Armstrong. Here are some quotes from Nuno's daughter, Puresa Oliveria.
"Mrs Armstrong has done a lot of damaged to my father's name, and to what he represents"

"She has no right to use my father's name, he had no respect for 'that woman'"

And the video with lunging with wool. What a joke, the horse is stiff and tence and can not bend around the cirlce and has no topline.

In the video Nuno was saying well done to other students in the arena at the same time.

and mbm only one post was deleted by request.

AlterBy
May. 31, 2011, 01:41 AM
Couldn't resist, next time do the research about the ones you are interrested in: His name is 'Oliveira'.

Going back to my knitting job, a ear bonnet for my horse! What a waste of wool thread in that vid!

alicen
May. 31, 2011, 07:24 AM
And the video with lunging with wool. What a joke, the horse is stiff and tence and can not bend around the cirlce and has no topline.

The horse is tense from anticipating the rapid fire commands. Armstrong herself says this was a demonstration of obediance, not movement.

I can't say I like the overcheck (?) gear.

Interesting fencing.

Eireamon
May. 31, 2011, 07:52 AM
I have to agree with you Classical Truth that the video of the horse being lunged with wool is not pleasant.

My experience with Marji was a friend of mine had booked to go on a clinic of hers and asked me if I would be interested in going along.
My friend was waxing lyrical about how wonderful this person was so I phoned the organiser and got the details sent.

In the post I received all the forms including a glossy brochure regaling the attributes of this Ms Armstrong. The picture on the front of the brochure was of Ms Armstrong in Piaffe on a horse that was very hollow and tense.

That was enough for me. If you are advertising yourself as a clinician and donot even have the nous to realise the depiction of your piaffe is terribly bad then there is something very very wrong.
I told my friend there was no way I would train with anyone who clearly had no idea what a piaffe should look like.

I was told afterward that I had a lucky escape. She has pupils here in NZ who claim shes the best thing ever but in the main the are people who have never ridden beyond Training level and so know no better.

Classical Truth
May. 31, 2011, 09:56 AM
Eireamon you may have had a 'Lucky Escape' but think of those that know no better, who are been 'taught' not what they assume is classical dressage, but how to work your horse in fear, resistance, hollow and without compasion and all in the abuse of the name of Oliveira.

Think of all those horses that will suffer for the rest of their lives, it is all so very sad.

And they say ignorance is bliss!

Velvet
May. 31, 2011, 11:00 AM
Still like the second vid. Don't care about the rest or the back biting, etc. I'm so over it. Yes, if people suck as an instructor and trainer you should not go to them. Yes, if people ASK you about them you can come out here and comment on your experiences.

What I say no to is starting threads against a person just because you have a personal axe to grind. Makes a poster look really petty and actually detracts from the negatives about the person under discussion because personal vendettas are just not acceptable.

So, you have a problem. Wait until someone ASKS about that person to start voicing strong opinions. This smacks of a personal attack and a bit of angry stalking. :no: Really a sad topic.

Westglen Farm
May. 31, 2011, 12:05 PM
I am finding this quite disturbing.
First you are watching a video clip of a horse in a training session. Not all training sessions are perfect and you do not know what led up to this or the quality of work that came after this clip. I would compare this to walking into the movies, part way through the movie, watch for one minute and leave and have a huge opinion about the movie. It is not fair.
I would also like to know the motivation of why this random clip was posted in the first place?
Second, the quotes that apparently came from a relative of Nuno's in an earlier post that stated he had no respect has no business being put up on this board. How can you even verify the truth to the statements when the man is no longer with us.
As with any clinician people will love them or hate them. Take a clinic and decide. I know the clinics have been of great value to me on and off the arena and am so blessed that Marji has been in my life. My horses and myself have benefited in so many ways from her teachings. I know that Marji's teachings are valuable and the quality is there. Over the years I have seen so many horses and riders blossom in Marji's clinics and yes there are a few that just do not get it.
This thread seems to be a personal attack from a person who has had a bad experience with Marji and it is sad how easy it is to be able to so hurtful in a public setting.

netg
May. 31, 2011, 12:16 PM
What I say no to is starting threads against a person just because you have a personal axe to grind. Makes a poster look really petty and actually detracts from the negatives about the person under discussion because personal vendettas are just not acceptable.

Agreed, and said better than I was able to - I kept deleting a post as I tried to say it.

If you want to have personal vendettas, wait to build an antagonistic relationship with another poster, and see which of you can get banned first. :cool:

Foxtrot's
May. 31, 2011, 03:38 PM
"Classical Truth" - what's going on - what is the real reason behind your enquiry ?

Eireamon
May. 31, 2011, 08:01 PM
Velvet I do so love the second video too. Nuno was a inspired teacher. It is a pity that some that claim to have been his proteges have done damage.

I personally train with a 'true' protege of Nuno who actually spent years with him in Portugal and who still lives there today.
We are so fortunate that she travels to NZ twice per year to teach us.

I consider myself fortunate enough to be able to recognise a photo of a very bad example of riding on a Trainers brochure and saved myself the trouble of taking a place in a clinic with a trainer who failed to recognise it as a poor example.

indyblue
Jun. 1, 2011, 05:20 AM
Eireamon.Is that Nadine Francois you are talking about?I lessoned with her last time she was out. As far as Marji is concerned I have a few friends who have done numerous clinics with her with varying results which is fairly normal with most instructors.Some have stuck with it ,others not.At first I felt the need to point out to my friends that I didn't agree with the quality of work they were producing but now I have checked myself. Its none of my business.The world isn't going to explode ,no kittens are being harmed and they are happy :yes:The only time I get irritated now is when they write into our main horse magazine telling us all we are sinners in the world of dressage for not following Marjis teachings.

indyblue
Jun. 1, 2011, 05:37 AM
LOL Eireamon.Just realised who you are.Im a bit slow on the uptake.