PDA

View Full Version : Moving my horse to another trainer

stolen virtue
May. 27, 2011, 09:31 PM
I've decided to move my very green OTTB to another trainer who specializes in breaking young TBs. My current trainer is on vacation and she and I have had a falling out for business reasons. I plan on giving the new trainer 60-90 days of training with my green boy and I know why and have a plan.

As stated in my previous post, my regular trainer is on vacation and will return mid June. I had the dressage trainer ride my young baby today and she confirmed several issues for me. One is that my horse does not understand moving off the leg. This is a huge training issue for me and I suspect that many horses miss this training. I have spoken with the new trainer and she has agreed to evaluate this issue and come up with a plan. Clearly for the next few months I need to be a part of this training but knowing what my horse needs and having a plan has taught me a lot about. I love the dressage trainer at my barn -even though I do not ride dressage-and she loves my other horse and I am understanding why.

I just want to say that this "problem" has taught me so much and again, thanks to all of you for helping me sort through this issue. Having a horse walk, trot and canter around a ring and eventually around a course does NOT constitute training for young horses. I was trying to put my finger on why I was not comfortable with his training and the dressage trainer stated everything that had been bothering me. He simply has not been taught how to move off the leg and how leg pressure means "go forward". I suspect spurs were the answer instead of training.

I just always feel that with riding and training horses the more I know the more I know I don't know and I have had a big learning experience. Glad I have this board to help me out ! Thanks.:D

Plain Jane
May. 27, 2011, 09:33 PM
I feel like I am missing part of this story. Did you mean to post this in response to another thread you started? Is there another thread with more details?

Either way, best of luck to you and your new trainer. I hope it all turns out wonderfully for you! :)

stolen virtue
May. 27, 2011, 09:46 PM
Hi Plain Jane, yes this is a part of another thread, I did not continue the post, it was a bit long and at times a bit "off topic". I did consider extending the original post but decided against it. My other post was "trainer vacations' which centered around my trainer leaving for a vacation and casually mentioning that she would be gone for over 2 weeks-infact my trainer never gave me the dates of her trip, the dressage trainer provided that information for me.

findeight
May. 28, 2011, 09:02 AM
Glad to hear you worked that one out. Kind of read into it that the vacation was not the root issue of the problem between you and that trainer.

There are a whole lot of "trainers" who don't know how to train and flop miserably when presented with anything but finished horses that they can basically point and shoot at the fences and dink around the ring in the hack???? They are adrift without that paddle.

That is OK if they are upfront about it and good at polishing one up for the ring and working with minor disobediance issues. Nobody is good at everything.

Not OK at all when a longtime client comes in with a Greenie and they continue to suck the wallet...and lie about it's progress or are too dumb to realize there is no progress.