PDA

View Full Version : Clearing trails

CVPeg
May. 27, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have a pretty big task ahead of me. Sorry this is long - I'm terrible at going on, and not editing well...

Am preparing my place for sale. Have owned it for 10 years - bought with ex. "House" is a former 3000 sq ft store w/ apartment, but in terrific shape - only 20 years old - is framed like a 2 story colonial. We had plans made to remodel to turn it into a regular house before divorce. So I'm doing what I know needs to be done to the building as far as cleaning, repairs, etc. I'll let new buyer remodel if needed, and just make sure it is strucuturally fine.

What I haven't paid attention to, and need to spruce up is the land - 97 acres - about 2/3 woods, pretty hilly, fantastic views. You could sing "The Sound of Music" from my upper fields. :winkgrin: I've kept most of the open fields brush hogged, but I've let the "trails" go. They are mostly old logging roads that were never cleaned up after former owner logged. You could walk through them fairly easily when we first bought this place - now there are many small trees, lots of brush, and lots of downed branches.

I just want to clear the paths so that prospective buyers can walk the place without struggling through the brush. I envision marketing mostly to downstate New Yorkers - mostly to deer/game hunters, or investors.

I have no large equipment as part of the remodel was to build a garage and barn, so I have nothing to store it in. I only have a tiny equipment shed with my lawn mower and yard tools in it. I have a couple of weed whackers - one just a year old, comes with a saw-type blade.

Attorney SO, and computer geek son - both part-time residents, have no "outside" leanings - although SO put himself through law school doing tree work, that was eons ago, and he argues with me about buying a small chainsaw, saying "someday" he'll get his fixed. I'm not waiting any longer.

Local farmers have done my brush hogging, but they tend to make a pretty big mess. Not so sure I can trust them to clear the trails without churning things up.

I also have about a 4 acre field by the road that I plan to build a brush pile on for burning. Computer geek son has a 4WD truck, which I may commandeer to transport the brush from the woods to the 4 acre field.

A lot of the wood could be cut for woodstoves, but I got rid of the wood piles by the house when we started getting unwanted woodpile residents in the house:eek: - even with it piled 20' away. I stopped using the wood stove also because of allergies. But may ignore them the way utilities are climbing if stuck here again this winter.

I'm having the property surveyed, and a trusted forester is going to walk the land with me and give me mostly environmental and land use recommendations. But he's waiting for the surveyor.

I need to get things going! The leaves are out, the shrubs are filling up - I just want to begin!

Best ideas for equipment? - and of course I'm hoping to eventually leave so I don't want to keep anything large.

How do I slow down/best maintain overgrowing trails, etc.

I know most of this is just time and hard work, but any "trail clearing" advice is welcome!

Tom King
May. 27, 2011, 07:48 PM
Find someone near you that has a "Forestry Mulcher".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKGv2pOwXUI&feature=related

Do a Google search for "forestry mulcher" and add whatever your location is.

MunchkinsMom
May. 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
Do you have any clubs of folks that like to ride ATV's? They might be willing to come out and clear the trails in exchange for you allowing them to ride on the trails.

I have a friend who is into snowmobiling, and every fall their clubs have get-togethers to clear the trails before the snow starts.

shakeytails
May. 27, 2011, 09:16 PM
Find someone near you that has a "Forestry Mulcher".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKGv2pOwXUI&feature=related

Do a Google search for "forestry mulcher" and add whatever your location is.

I WANT ONE!!!!!

suz
May. 27, 2011, 09:32 PM
me too! how much is it?
op, will you allow trail riders on the land? maybe a group near you would help with the trail clearing if so.
so where is this fabulous sounding place for sale btw?

Tom King
May. 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
A good friend of mine has one. With the heavy rubber track skid loader he has it on (much heavier than any model Bobcat, but I don't remember the model-it weighs 10,000 lbs. without any attachments)it was around 100K.

He bought it for clearing the woods in a development he had. He gets 200 bucks an hour, but it's amazing how much work it can do in the hour. Woodland with small trees and underbrush comes out looking like a tilled garden. It does throw a bunch of stuff around, but that can be raked up with a tractor and landscape rake.

CVPeg
May. 28, 2011, 10:40 AM
Tom, that forestry mulcher is a thing of beauty. Looks like price is high 5 figures - tried to google my area for someone who might have one, but found little. Neighbor across the way has an out-of-town farmer (not an immediate local) who cares for his land. Since they do a beautiful job, I might find out who they are and see if they have one, if their cost isn't too dear to hire.

Munchinkinsmom & Suz - getting club people to clear the land isn't a bad idea, although neighboring ATVers have already trespassed plenty over my brush hogged fields slicing unwanted paths across the fields. :mad: Not sure horse trail riders would care enough to help - enormous state trail system is only about 25miles from here.

When we bought the place, it was a good price - had enough land close to the house for a small barn and a couple of horses. But it is very hilly - funny thing is former owner had it as a bike and ski shop, advertising "cross country" skiing - when this is definitely more of a downhill place.:eek:

I don't want to say too much about my place for fear of the thread disappearing - really am looking for ideas for trail clearing before I get it on the market as I think that would help, and had always been a goal of mine in the first place.

It's in Upstate NY, close to my hometown of Cooperstown. And in the past we could say "close to Cooperstown" since that's such an attraction. But now, if anyone's heard of the Beekman Boys :cool:, Sharon Springs is less than 10 miles from me in the other direction. So now I can market it as "Located between Cooperstown and the Home of the Beekman Boys!":lol:

Romany
May. 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
Tom, that forestry mulcher is a thing of beauty. Looks like price is high 5 figures - tried to google my area for someone who might have one, but found little. Neighbor across the way has an out-of-town farmer (not an immediate local) who cares for his land. Since they do a beautiful job, I might find out who they are and see if they have one, if their cost isn't too dear to hire.

Munchinkinsmom & Suz - getting club people to clear the land isn't a bad idea, although neighboring ATVers have already trespassed plenty over my brush hogged fields slicing unwanted paths across the fields. :mad: Not sure horse trail riders would care enough to help - enormous state trail system is only about 25miles from here.

When we bought the place, it was a good price - had enough land close to the house for a small barn and a couple of horses. But it is very hilly - funny thing is former owner had it as a bike and ski shop, advertising "cross country" skiing - when this is definitely more of a downhill place.:eek:

I don't want to say too much about my place for fear of the thread disappearing - really am looking for ideas for trail clearing before I get it on the market as I think that would help, and had always been a goal of mine in the first place.

It's in Upstate NY, close to my hometown of Cooperstown. And in the past we could say "close to Cooperstown" since that's such an attraction. But now, if anyone's heard of the Beekman Boys :cool:, Sharon Springs is less than 10 miles from me in the other direction. So now I can market it as "Located between Cooperstown and the Home of the Beekman Boys!":lol:

Having now googled the Beekman Boys - I think your solution is simple: market the place, and the work, directly to them. :)

Seriously, though, do you have access to a tough lil ol' tractor and a bush-hog, or is the land too unkempt for that?

Weighaton
May. 29, 2011, 10:37 PM
I WANT ONE!!!!!

Oh my Lord!!! I want that thing sooo badly. Can we collectively purchase one for COTH members? We can each have it for a week at a time every few years. I cannot believe how fast it goes. I could probably have all of my stuff done in one day and pass it along.

CVPeg
May. 30, 2011, 07:12 AM
Romany - no, sadly I don't even own a garden tractor - no place to store equipment here - do 2 acres of lawn by hand power mower, and pay to have the lower and upper fields brush hogged 2x a year. The trails are not that terrible, just that there's probably a mile and a half or so of them, and the local brush hogging farmer's tractor would be too big to get through them - some are banked on the sides, and they're already killing me with the brush hogging charges.

But I think I'll pay a call on a couple of more distant farmers, and some equipment places way down the road - see if they've sold any forestry mulchers, or know someone who could help - although I'll probably just get a "nope". :no: