PDA

View Full Version : Have to share this pic of my appendix hunter! WE did it! Qualifid for world show!

shawneeAcres
May. 27, 2011, 03:13 PM
This is showing at the Region 10 QH championship show in May, he won this class under all judges :

http://www.billielewisphotography.com/oneadmin/photogallery/home.popupimg.php?photo_id=14491

We are 1 point away from qualifying him for the world show in Sr. Working Hunter, my assistant is in Camden showing him this weekend. Unfortunately I had to stay home and run a show here at my farm :( But am VERY excited that we may go to our first ever QH world show this fall!!

purplnurpl
May. 27, 2011, 03:21 PM
oh yey!
timely thread for me.
what is his breeding?

shawneeAcres
May. 27, 2011, 03:24 PM
He is all racing bloodlines, Dash for Cash, Streakin Six, and TB

FlashGordon
May. 27, 2011, 03:54 PM
He's gorgeous! Congrats and good luck!!

tasia
May. 27, 2011, 04:22 PM
Nice!!! Good luck!!

KitKat987
May. 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
He's lovely! I have an appendix hunter too, but have never taken him to a QH show.

mroades
May. 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
love!!!

mvp
May. 27, 2011, 07:57 PM
Mmm mmm good.

You know I love me a nice Appendix:
A big ol' lab in a horse suit.
America's answer to the tractable WB before the WB invasion.
The kind of horse I'd build my Breeding Empire around.

And! With one of these, you get to go to the QH shows were the fun and good prizes are.

JB
May. 27, 2011, 07:59 PM
Wow is he ever cute!!

fordtraktor
May. 27, 2011, 08:03 PM
Wonderful! I love a good QH!

Ski'sthelimit
May. 27, 2011, 08:03 PM
Congratulations! Best horse i ever owned was an appendix! perfect level 5 horse, sold him before we pushed higher but AMAZING HORSE!.... Those appendixes have the athleticism of tbs and the calm patients of the qh's!

Great breeds. again congratulations. do you ever do derby's with him?

shawneeAcres
May. 27, 2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks, I like him! He is 17.2 so NOT your average QH! LOL

CharmCity
May. 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
Good gosh,
I *love* your horse! If I win the Lotto tonight, he will be mine, all mine:)
Good luck and congratulations!

EqTrainer
May. 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
He is a big egg! Congrats and good luck :)

horsepoor
May. 27, 2011, 10:34 PM
Super cute!
You can tell it is a QH show -- all those cowboy hats in the stands!

shawneeAcres
May. 29, 2011, 01:35 PM
We did it! He qualified for the AQHA World Show in Sr. Working hunter this weekend in Camden, SC! And I think he is also qualified for Hunter hack and 1 point from qualifying in Open Jumpers! Pretty excited to be going to the world show!

Elio04
May. 29, 2011, 02:35 PM
How exciting & HUGE congrats!! This thread perfect in timing... I have a very good friend who breeds racing QH's (mostly all Dash for Cash, Streakin Six & TB lines). She has a lovely, lovely, large (16.2-3) appendix that she has been trying to sell as a hunter & she has lost all hope. She thinks the hunter folks "don't like QH's". I will show her this thread to give her (& her gelding) some hope :) Good Luck & let us know how you guys do!!

MHM
May. 29, 2011, 02:48 PM
Super cute!
You can tell it is a QH show -- all those cowboy hats in the stands!

Speaking of which...

When do they wear straw hats vs. felt hats? Is it related to the weather? The calendar? No straw hats (or white shoes) after Labor Day? Indoor or outdoor show? Just curious.

Congrats to the OP! :cool:

shawneeAcres
May. 29, 2011, 03:07 PM
Oh shoot! My assistant trainer was riding him at Camden and texted me that he had qualified, but now it looks like we might be a 1/2 point short! Shoot! Have to wait til the points are posted to find out for sure

HoosierHorseNut
May. 29, 2011, 07:31 PM
Congratulations! Best horse i ever owned was an appendix! perfect level 5 horse, sold him before we pushed higher but AMAZING HORSE!.... Those appendixes have the athleticism of tbs and the calm patients of the qh's!

Great breeds. again congratulations. do you ever do derby's with him?

I don't think anyone told my appendix this... :-)

jay0087
May. 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
So nice!! Good luck at the show!

KBEquine
May. 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
Mmm mmm good.

You know I love me a nice Appendix:
A big ol' lab in a horse suit.
America's answer to the tractable WB before the WB invasion.

shawneeAcres - is his dam around? We just added a son of Rugged Lark to our herd. He has kids who've qualified for the world in hunter under saddle & others who've gotten USEF & USDF points.

He is older & just moved east, so we're mostly interested in mares whose owners will do well by the foal. (And he does especially well with big-strided TB mares to make those appendix babies.)

horsegal301
May. 30, 2011, 12:51 AM
Speaking of which...

When do they wear straw hats vs. felt hats? Is it related to the weather? The calendar? No straw hats (or white shoes) after Labor Day? Indoor or outdoor show? Just curious.

Felt for cooler weather, straw for hotter! If you can feel them on your head, you'll feel the difference.

Straw is a bit more porous/breathable and definitely feels a lot better on your head in the summer than a thick felt one.

Felts usually look more refined and expensive (and usually are) and a bit more professional in the show ring -- I don't think I've seen anyone lately riding in anything but felt. It just looks a ton better and you might HAVE to wear a felt hat in certain classes, I'm not too sure.

PNWjumper
May. 30, 2011, 02:49 AM
Congrats and what a lovely horse!

I was hell bent on getting another quarter horse a few years ago so that I could get back down to the Worlds Show (I showed a mare in the open jumper class in 2003) because it was SO MUCH FUN! But I got sidetracked back into the USEF world by accident and I haven't ever gotten any closer to Oklahoma City.

I hope your points total up the way you'd like! :)

shawneeAcres
May. 30, 2011, 08:11 AM
KBEquine,We did not breed this horse, he is older, 14 yrs old so doubt seriously his dam would be around but he was bred in texas I think. But he was never really shown until this past year. I do have a daughter of "Do You Have a Minute" that I am thinking about breeding tho. Not sure tho now if I will wait til next year. Unfortunately I think we are a 1/2 point short, my assistnat first thought she had won the WH class, which would have done it, but when she went back to the office, they said she had placed second :(. And we WANT to get him qualified in jumpers, but having a hard time finding shows that either offer the class or have enough to fill it, and he is 1 point shy in that.

Sparky
May. 30, 2011, 08:48 AM
We are going to a show at the KHP in late June that should have decent numbers if you are still looking for points by then. Good luck-- the world shows are a great experience!

shawneeAcres
May. 30, 2011, 09:59 AM
I am looking for points but really cannot justify the cost of gas to go that far. I WISH they would lower the open show points some, they did for the select!

Sparky
May. 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
I hear ya! It's really hard to find points as the deadlines approach.

Plumcreek
May. 30, 2011, 11:33 AM
Speaking of which...

That is about it - just like white shoes.

Shawnee Acres - Aaaack! The dreaded half point. At least you have plenty of time.

eclipse
May. 30, 2011, 12:11 PM
Congrats, he is lovely! And that bascule....drooooool :D

shawneeAcres
May. 30, 2011, 12:41 PM
Well honestly he doesn't start JUMPING til the jumps are over 3'. Anything less than that and he just steps over, doesn't really use himself at all. I want the 1/2 point for working hunter but then REALLY wanted to qualify him for jumpers and he needs 1 point in that BUT can't hardly find jumper classes that fill! There is a big show in Conyers, GA fourth of july weekend, but it will be $400 for jsut gas to go! ugh!

Hunter Mom
May. 30, 2011, 02:15 PM
My boy has similar breeding on the sire's side. He can jump the moon! I love my appendix, even though I doubt I'll ever show anything AQHA. Your boy is adorable!

JBCool
May. 30, 2011, 03:06 PM
Re: felt vs. straw

Traditionally, I think straws were worn Mem Day to Labor Day and felts through the fall and winter. Some folks still stick to this no matter how hot it is, but most will wear whichever is more comfortable on a given day.

Diehards will NEVER show in a straw. Kind of like us stalwart hunters who WON'T take off our coats. :)

Sparky
May. 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
Well honestly he doesn't start JUMPING til the jumps are over 3'. Anything less than that and he just steps over, doesn't really use himself at all. I want the 1/2 point for working hunter but then REALLY wanted to qualify him for jumpers and he needs 1 point in that BUT can't hardly find jumper classes that fill! There is a big show in Conyers, GA fourth of july weekend, but it will be $400 for jsut gas to go! ugh!

We'll be at those shows as well, and the numbers are good. The jumpers go on July 2,3,6,8 and 10 and were 1 point classes last year, so that 1 point you need would definitely be doable! Check www.markharrellhorseshows.com for the prizelist.

MHM
May. 30, 2011, 10:24 PM
Diehards will NEVER show in a straw. Kind of like us stalwart hunters who WON'T take off our coats. :)

Now you're putting it in terms I can understand! :lol:

Thanks! :)

shawneeAcres
May. 31, 2011, 07:01 AM
We'll be at those shows as well, and the numbers are good. The jumpers go on July 2,3,6,8 and 10 and were 1 point classes last year, so that 1 point you need would definitely be doable! Check www.markharrellhorseshows.com for the prizelist.

we can only go for the second (open is only the second not the third according to the schedule for those two days) as I have to be back for the state 4-H horse show that next week. So just not sure if it's worth going down for one day and then possibly "blowing it" (altho he has only had one rail down all year!)

Anyplace Farm
May. 31, 2011, 08:26 AM
Congrats. Good lookin' horse who looks like he's got plenty of scope to jump the big jumps!

Crown Royal
May. 31, 2011, 06:38 PM
Drooling! He is just gorgeous- I want I want I want!

Stellar_moves
May. 31, 2011, 06:47 PM
congrats! my friend showed her horse in the youth HSE and HUS there and I think she did pretty good.. I love the tall appendixes. Mines 17.3 :) good luck at all of your other shows!

sandsarita
May. 31, 2011, 11:44 PM
Best of luck to you getting those last points. Man, that chase is something I DO NOT enjoy. The worst year for me was when I thought I had no chance at making it in Eq on the flat, went to one show and picked up like 8 points that weekend. Oops - now only two points left, 3 weekends to go. Those 3 weeks were spent hauling everywhich way to get those blasted points, especially since nobody wants to show in July in the South.

I wouldn't count on it, but from what I have heard they may lower the points for the regular Worlds as well because of the gas prices. Of course this won't come out until after qualifying is done, I think, but that's the rumor I have heard (back before they officially lowered the Select points)

I don't know if this link will work, but here is a pic of my QH that my trainer and I are planning on hauling for Worlds next year in Progressive and Junior WH/HH. We'll see how it goes, and good luck to you and your cute boy!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63230702@N07/5752816305/in/set-72157626720452077

moonriverfarm
Jun. 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
LOVELY!!! Love me some QH blood.