PDA

View Full Version : Farm for foals in MD

Right on Target
May. 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
We have bred our first foal and the little filly is now coming up on 2 months old. We have her in Pennsylvania right now, and the breeding farm is short handed due to staffing problems and not giving the filly the handling she needs (and that we were promised she would get). Our filly gets the same lack of handling as the others her age, but ours is the only one who is extremely skittish around humans, so we feel we would be better off boarding her at a farm where there is a bit more daily contact with humans.

We are looking for a farm in Maryland (Baltimore/Howard/Caroll) to move the mare and filly to where the filly will get more handling. Also if she is closer to us, we'll be able to come and handle her more often than we can now with an hour and a half drive each way.

We are looking for the following attributes in a farm:
Board fencing
Adequate grass in paddocks
Other foals in her age group
Run in shed if on field board
Some basic handling (daily leading, some basic touching/scratching, etc)
Knowledge of Thoroughbreds
Holding for vet/farrier

She is a PA bred, but we've satisfied our PA requirements, so she is free to move to MD to be closer to us.

We are fine with field board as long as the filly is going to get led in and out for feeding or something similar.

Feel free to respond or PM me with suggestions if you have them. Or if you know of places to avoid, I'm happy to hear about them as well!

Thanks!

analise
May. 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
http://marylandthoroughbred.com/farms2.php?farmcode=52

This farm is right near me and I pass it all the time. Board fencing (with a nice perimeter fence, too), run in sheds, barn, and nice looking fields.

Never actually been on it, but it looks nice and might be worth a call.

EDIT: The only other farm I know of is a layup farm for TBs but doesn't have any foals on it.

Right on Target
May. 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

Laurierace
May. 27, 2011, 09:42 PM
I have a filly that could use a friend. I body clipped her yesterday while she was loose so I would say it's fair to say she is well handled! We are in Bel Air if that works for you.

winstonian
May. 27, 2011, 09:59 PM
I took my horse to Six M's Farm in Anne Arundel County when he needed rehab. I think they take foals. Excellent care.