PDA

View Full Version : Vines and fence weeds! How to safely remove?

Tiramit
May. 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
This spring's monsoons have resulted in an explosion of vines around my pastures and fields. These are growing up trees, the fences, through wire and over bushes. We can pull some of them off fairly easily, but through the wire and around the trees is tough. Weed whacking isn't a great option and we're talking acres of vines, including poison ivy (to which I'm highly allergic).

How can I safely rid myself of these vines? I have horses, sheep and chickens in various portions of the property. My goat idea was nixed by my husband. Is there a safe way to rid my place of vines and weeds?

2DogsFarm
May. 27, 2011, 12:00 PM
Borrow my horse & pony - they have cleared a 2' perimeter all along my fenceline. Looks like it's been mowed.
:D

Seriously:
You can spray the weeds with a saltwater or vinegar solution that will kill the vegetation but not harm any horse who samples sprayed foliage.

I use Roundup for poison ivy - you can spray from a safe distance using the pump-up sprayer it comes in.

emaren
May. 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
Old school way to clear fencelines is to spray diesel fuel along the fence row, kills everything including the grass also.

Leprechaun
May. 27, 2011, 01:17 PM
Get a pony!

MunchkinsMom
May. 27, 2011, 02:13 PM
I hack at them with long handled clippers, and get as close to the roots as possible. However, I don't have any poison ivy in mine, if that were the case, a good gallon of Round Up for poison ivy would be my weapon of choice.

May I also recommend this Gilmore wheeled sprayer? I love mine, with 9 acres fenced, this is a godsend for spraying the fenceline:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-W4-Spray-4-Gallon-Sprayer/dp/B00006LPPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306520087&sr=8-2

eponacelt
May. 27, 2011, 03:20 PM
I hack at them with long handled clippers, and get as close to the roots as possible. However, I don't have any poison ivy in mine, if that were the case, a good gallon of Round Up for poison ivy would be my weapon of choice.

May I also recommend this Gilmore wheeled sprayer? I love mine, with 9 acres fenced, this is a godsend for spraying the fenceline:

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-W4-Spray-4-Gallon-Sprayer/dp/B00006LPPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306520087&sr=8-2

OMG! I NEED THAT SPRAYER!

While I am a professional environmentalist, I freely admit to the use of round up on a regular basis, and in appropriate quantities. There is just no other solution at our farm to the horrid invasive species problem...and goats just won't work where we are. I've been using a 2 gallon handheld sprayer, but this looks AMAZING!

Guilherme
May. 27, 2011, 04:36 PM
The "greenest" way to do it is a tether goat. You can use a dairy goat (and then milk it twice a day providing a convienient substitute for store bought stuff) or a meat goat (and then eat the goat when it gets big enough). Goats will not only eat honeysuckle they also eat poison ivy and poison oak. Amazing creatures.

Mechanical means exist in weedeaters and various impliments. Hand operated clippers work, too.

There are a variety of safe chemicals out there, too. They are discussed regularly around here.

Weeds in our neck of the woods drink salt water and vinegar like it's mother's milk. That makes it a waste of time and very brown.

If you've got lots of money use diesel.

G.

carolprudm
May. 27, 2011, 05:09 PM
Yup, goats love the crunchy stuff but you do need very good fences to keep them where you want them

Guilherme
May. 27, 2011, 05:25 PM
Yup, goats love the crunchy stuff but you do need very good fences to keep them where you want them

Indeed. The beauty of the tether goat is that you tie it to a fence (OK, "picket" it to the fence so we stay PC ;) ) and move it a few times a day as it consumes the vegitation. At night put it in a stall with a quiet horse. :)

G.

Tom King
May. 27, 2011, 05:26 PM
Spray them this fall when the Poplar trees turn yellow with Arsenal (Powerline). It doesn't take much, and that should be the end of them. Some may come back the next year with puny looking little leaves, but if you spray them again the next fall, that should finish them.

I don't know of anything else that will kill them for good, and it needs to be done when the sap is going down. That's why I use the gauge of the Poplar trees.

Arsenal will kill anything but a pine tree and kudzu. It's the only thing I've ever found that will kill a Sweet Gum tree.

LauraKY
May. 27, 2011, 06:01 PM
I have the wheeled, battery operated sprayer too. It's wonderful! Just bought it this year.

MunchkinsMom
May. 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
OMG! I NEED THAT SPRAYER!

While I am a professional environmentalist, I freely admit to the use of round up on a regular basis, and in appropriate quantities. There is just no other solution at our farm to the horrid invasive species problem...and goats just won't work where we are. I've been using a 2 gallon handheld sprayer, but this looks AMAZING!

I've had mine for 4 years now, and only had to replace the spray wand this year. No batteries, no pumping, the rotation of the wheels pressurizes the tank. If it starts to go slow, just wheel it back and forth about 5 times, and keep on spraying. I love it.

apcohrs
May. 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
Whatever method you use on the poison ivy, DO NOT BURN the remnants. The active irritant, urushiol, is not deactivated by death and will be carried by the smoke to your lungs. You do not want this.

Decay slowly deactivates it.

mkevent
May. 28, 2011, 10:36 AM
For everyone that sprays Roundup on the fencelines:

I am planning on using a herbicide for the same reasons as the OP. I'm giving up on the living fence idea because it's impossible to do any repairs without looking like you got on the losing end of a fight with a mountain lion!

I'm thinking of using Roundup on the perimeter fence. If I spray directly under the fenceline and on the side of the fence where the horses can't reach, how long before I can turn the horses out on the treated areas? From previous searches, it seems everyone has a differing opinion on that.

What do you guys do?

Fairview Horse Center
May. 28, 2011, 11:16 AM
Any ideas on how to get rid of buttercups?

Tom King
May. 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
Roundup only knocks stuff back. It doesn't really kill it for good. 2-4-D for Buttercups. Arsenal when sap is going down kills it for good, but that means it's useless to spray it this time of year. I don't know of anything else on the market that will kill stuff for good. Even diesel fuel, as previously mentioned, mixed with anything else is not a permanent kill. Diesel and 2,4,5,T (no longer on the market) even only lasts 2 or 3 years.

Fairview Horse Center
May. 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
So what time of year should I spray the 2-4-D to kill buttercups, and how long after do I need to keep horses off the field? Will it basically kill all the grass, and need to be reseeded? Thanks!

eponacelt
May. 28, 2011, 04:11 PM
So what time of year should I spray the 2-4-D to kill buttercups, and how long after do I need to keep horses off the field? Will it basically kill all the grass, and need to be reseeded? Thanks!

2-4-D while the buttercups are growing (you might already be a little too late this year) os what my soil and water guy told me. It will kill the broadleaf weeds AND the clover, but should leave the grass. Whether you need to reseed depends on how much you have in the way of weeds. My guy told me that my pastures would probably need to be reseeded. Darn it...

Good luck. We had a bumpercrop of buttercup this year!

Alagirl
May. 28, 2011, 05:17 PM
Any ideas on how to get rid of buttercups?

BUttercups are often an indicator that your soil needs to be improved.
I seem to recall that it's a somewhat sour to wettish.

Aside from spraying....soil test and ammend accordingly.

exie4me
May. 28, 2011, 05:19 PM
we've been using 2 4 D on our farm for several years and it doesn't kill our clover. Makes it kinda droopy but, it comes right back.

BybeeGirl
May. 28, 2011, 05:23 PM
Have you all (at least those in VA) contacted your local VCE agriculture agent?

They are a free resource that can id weeds for you, and tell you what/how much to apply, and when. Depending on schedules, they will be able to do pasture walks and make recommendations for each situation. Soil sampling is free for commercial use, and can really help you get at the root of the problem.

Use this link to find your local office:
http://ext.vt.edu/offices/index.html

katyb
May. 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
The "greenest" way to do it is a tether goat. You can use a dairy goat (and then milk it twice a day providing a convienient substitute for store bought stuff) or a meat goat (and then eat the goat when it gets big enough). Goats will not only eat honeysuckle they also eat poison ivy and poison oak. Amazing creatures.

Mechanical means exist in weedeaters and various impliments. Hand operated clippers work, too.

There are a variety of safe chemicals out there, too. They are discussed regularly around here.

Weeds in our neck of the woods drink salt water and vinegar like it's mother's milk. That makes it a waste of time and very brown.

If you've got lots of money use diesel.

G.

I'm working on my husband regarding goats...I didn't think anything natural would work on our weeds. We have poison ivy EVERYWHERE - 38 acres of the stuff. How much diesel doe sit take? I don't love that idea, but we have some PI vines that are as big around as my arm.

Tom King
May. 29, 2011, 02:18 PM

It won't kill any grass that's any good. 1 1/2 pints per acre will kill the buttercups now, but since they have already flowered by now, they will still come back next year.

Notice what the plants look like now before you spray them, and next spring spray at the first sign of any of those leaves. It'll get them before they flower and make more seeds.

They'll still come back for years though, since the seeds can stay in the ground for years until they get just the right conditions.

Tom King
May. 29, 2011, 02:20 PM
Here's the place I get Arsenal from. The price has steadily come down over the past few years.

http://www.epestsolutions.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=epestsolutions&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=arsenal-powerline-herbicide-weed-control&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=2813&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=617273656e616c2d706f7765726c696e652d6865726 269636964652d776565642d636f6e74726f6c

cyndi
May. 29, 2011, 11:34 PM
We use Groundclear on our fencelines and it does just that. Kills everything. And lasts almost a year. Each year we spray, we have less that 'comes back' even after a year.

camohn
May. 30, 2011, 01:03 AM
we spray the fenceline with something called Eraser that has worked quite well...kills just about anything. The fenceline with the neighboring nursery has been a challenge as they let their side of the fenceline turn into a jungle.

Tiramit
May. 31, 2011, 04:28 PM
Great information! Thanks everyone!

Tom, how long do you wait before letting horses on Arsenal sprayed pastures? Is it potent enough to hurt chickens and ducks housed near a pasture (as in, fumes)? Also, can you spray it around trees or just fences? We have quite a bit of brush around our trees...

Fairview Horse Center
May. 31, 2011, 05:40 PM
2-4-D for Buttercups.

What is the best way to put this down on a field? How long do I have to wait after applying before putting horses back on the field? Thanks!