PDA

View Full Version : Black vetrap or half chaps? A story of badly behaving field boot zippers

Renn/aissance
May. 27, 2011, 11:51 AM
The zipper on my field boot got stuck. I got it free, but the zipper's looking very questionable at the ankle. I have a show tomorrow. If I can get the boots on, I will, but I am worried they will break. I've already called my repair shop of choice and they can't fix it in time.

Boots On is plan A. In case they break, I'm trying to determine the more acceptable plan B. Which would you consider to be less of a total faux pas for an A show:

Field boots, with the broken one secured with vetrap from bottom of boot to top of boot

Black paddock boots and half chaps. The chaps have a spanish cut and tabs; from a distance, you can't tell they're not field boots. The paddock boots are a little bit beaten up (okay, a lot beaten up) but with a ton of black boot polish would probably pass for looking normal.

SaturdayNightLive
May. 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
I'd wear the half chaps. Odds are, nobody will notice.

hollynanne
May. 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
I'd wear the half chaps. Odds are, nobody will notice.
I agree.

Can you borrow a set from someone? Boots are so personal, probably not, but worth a shot...

Hunter Mom
May. 27, 2011, 01:21 PM
Plan B - Half chaps.

I was having problems with one of my zippers popping open. Took it to the repair shop and they squeezed the little pull together a little and it has stayed together since. I also took a toothbrush and cleaned out the teeth of the zipper (I wear mine for everyday, and the heel area can get muddy/dirty easily).

Renn/aissance
May. 27, 2011, 01:26 PM
I can't borrow a set, unfortunately, not a lot of 21" tall boots around...

Thanks for the opinions so far. My one concern with the half chaps is that if someone DID notice, half chaps indicate "I planned to wear half chaps," vetrap indicates "last minute accident." But if I can get my paddocks to look normal it shouldn't be too noticeable.

PonyLady29
May. 27, 2011, 01:28 PM
Black electrical tape if wound well you wont even see it. BEST solution to a faulty zipper

Smiles
May. 27, 2011, 01:43 PM
I saw several people with half chaps/paddock boots and this was aa rated this past weekend so you will be fine. If it were me I would just go that route because vet wrap is not going to secure or make the boot tight. Also vet wrap likes to roll up and fold on it self.

Leprechaun
May. 27, 2011, 01:48 PM
I'd get some 1/2 chaps.

bigeqxo
May. 27, 2011, 01:49 PM
Black electrical tape if wound well you wont even see it. BEST solution to a faulty zipper

^ This.

MHM
May. 27, 2011, 01:54 PM
My one concern with the half chaps is that if someone DID notice, half chaps indicate "I planned to wear half chaps," vetrap indicates "last minute accident."

I've seen people wear one half chap and one boot, which to me indicates "last minute accident" to one zipper.

Two half chaps would make me think the person "planned to wear half chaps." Or was too disorganized to remember their boots. :lol:

McVillesMom
May. 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
I think I'd go with the half chaps too. It seems like vetrap would be more noticeable, and probably would bunch up or roll like another poster said. Electrical tape is OK too, just be careful it doesn't damage the finish of the leather!

Funny story - my boot zipper broke at a dressage show (my own fault, really, because I'd put on a fair amount of weight and they were really too tight). I had the zippers installed after I bought the boots, so they are on the inside front of the calf instead of up the back. I didn't have half chaps with me, so I pulled out my braiding stuff and sewed the boot onto my leg with yarn through the fabric part of the zipper. It wasn't noticeable while I was on the horse, and my trainer had no idea what had happened until after I had ridden both my tests!

bear necessities
May. 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
To make sure you give yourself the best opportunity for your zipper on your boot to work, clean the teeth out really well with a toothbrush. Then take a bar of soap and run it up and down the teeth for lubrication. Do this every time you go to put them on at the show. Hopefully if you make it as easy as possible for the zipper to run up you won't have problems..maybe make sure you're standing up too so the leather stresses less across your calf lol good luck!!

TrakeGirl
May. 27, 2011, 02:21 PM
I've seen people wear one half chap and one boot, which to me indicates "last minute accident" to one zipper.

This.

Trixie
May. 28, 2011, 02:15 PM
My one concern with the half chaps is that if someone DID notice, half chaps indicate "I planned to wear half chaps," vetrap indicates "last minute accident."

I'd actually say one half chap, one boot also. Or tape it. The rulebook is fairly clear on no chaps (which the USEF once clarified to mean no half chaps) for hunters but I'm sure if your boot is broken and you made a good faith effort, it likely wouldn't matter. It's not like we can all pull perfectly fitting spare boots out of thin air.

If it's a schooling show I wouldn't worry too much.

KBC
May. 28, 2011, 02:20 PM

Makes note to buy black electrical tape for my traveling kit, thanks for the tip.:)

ToTheNines
May. 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
If there is a tack shop at the show, I think they have all learned to carry black electrical tape.

CHF
May. 28, 2011, 05:40 PM

Yes, we had a kid whose boots failed mid horse show... electrical tape saved the day! :lol:

Reagan
May. 29, 2011, 01:30 PM

Yep. :)

ktm2007
May. 29, 2011, 02:08 PM
I can't borrow a set, unfortunately, not a lot of 21" tall boots around...

Thanks for the opinions so far. My one concern with the half chaps is that if someone DID notice, half chaps indicate "I planned to wear half chaps," vetrap indicates "last minute accident." But if I can get my paddocks to look normal it shouldn't be too noticeable.

If we were closer I would loan you mine! (mine are 23"...I know what it is like to have a boot malfunction and not be able to borrow! :winkgrin:)

I think I would go with the half chaps. You could even just wear the half chaps on the one leg....that would indicate "I did not plan this" if someone DID notice. Or, someone might assume you have an injury so you need to wear the half chaps on the one leg.

Renn/aissance
May. 29, 2011, 07:04 PM
I can't believe electrical tape doesn't pull the finish off of boots! This is good to know.

Ended up being able to get them on (the boots and I had a discussion in the dressing room prior to my class wherein I described what would happen to them if they broke, and I attribute it all to that) both days of the show- crisis averted! Thanks!