PDA

View Full Version : Help with driving before breaking

Ski'sthelimit
May. 27, 2011, 04:50 AM
Alright so i have a 4yr old spoiled / untamed; I would say its a little of both. never ridden.

I have him going on the lunge, saddled and bridled, tried to move ground driving today.... needless to say he FREAKED! didnt want any part of it!!!

Ive never had a horse freak out so bad about this before. Guidance please.

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 27, 2011, 07:38 AM
More information is needed to give much help. What steps did you take to teach him ground driving? What part did he freak out about? What equipment/bit did you use? How did he react specifically?

JB
May. 27, 2011, 10:17 AM
And even more questions - how long has he been lunging, does he do it WELL, how does he react to being saddled and bridled, etc

2DogsFarm
May. 27, 2011, 10:30 AM
AND:
Have you tried double-lining as an intro to ground-driving?

Two lines, one clipped to each side of the bit, outside one run behind his butt, you direct him from the center.

alliekat
May. 27, 2011, 11:46 AM
AND:
Have you tried double-lining as an intro to ground-driving?

Two lines, one clipped to each side of the bit, outside one run behind his butt, you direct him from the center.
This
How is he with voice commands?
Once he will lunge with the double lines and does it well I would ask for help. Have someone lead him while you start ground driving him. Then they can gradually lengthen the lead as you do most of the directing, but are there if needed. Once he does that well I would have them unclip him but still walk next to him. Go down a straight away and then turn to the right as the handler turns the other way to the left. Good luck.

meupatdoes
May. 27, 2011, 12:25 PM
If you are anywhere near Central NJ, I would recommend you contact David Guy of Winchester Farm.

Freakin' genius with long lines.

shawneeAcres
May. 27, 2011, 02:05 PM
Here is a video that may help you a bit for ground driving (FYI this horse IS sold and no longer available). I started this filly for the owner as a four year old and this is her first ground driving session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWl7atYK64