PDA

View Full Version : Confo critique!

mustangsal85
May. 26, 2011, 11:17 PM
Been meaning to do this for awhile, but haven't gotten any good photos. Can you guys give me some feedback on my boy's confo? Just looking for general insight.. no issues or anything and he is well suited for my purposes. Sorry the lighting isn't the best...

Thanks! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48861364@N05/5763333601/

amastrike
May. 27, 2011, 10:39 AM
Hoo-boy, he is handsome. Nice shoulder, long humerus, big engine, nice legs. Looks like his loin is a little weak, he seems a hair downhill, and it wouldn't hurt if his stifle was a little lower. Hard to see his front pasterns and feet because of the boots. Overall, I like him a lot. I wouldn't say no if you were giving him away ;).

OveroHunter
May. 27, 2011, 10:59 AM
He looks like such a sweetie! How old and what breed?

mustangsal85
May. 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
I should've added that sorry! He is a 6 year old unraced TB! :) And thanks! He has the best personality. I'm pretty sure he was a dog in his first life.

mustangsal85
May. 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hoo-boy, he is handsome. Nice shoulder, long humerus, big engine, nice legs. Looks like his loin is a little weak, he seems a hair downhill, and it wouldn't hurt if his stifle was a little lower. Hard to see his front pasterns and feet because of the boots. Overall, I like him a lot. I wouldn't say no if you were giving him away ;).

Actually he is really built quite uphill, I noticed that in the picture it doesn't really show it but he is, I promise! haha :) thanks! i love him. i just don't have a good eye for confo although I know he looks pretty well put together overall.

OveroHunter
May. 27, 2011, 11:03 AM
He has a great hip and shoulder for a TB!

Xanthoria
May. 27, 2011, 01:38 PM
Only thing I don't like is long and low-angled hind pasterns. I recently turned down a young horse for that reason as I don't think he'd hold up to eventing.

StrawberryFields
May. 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
i love his face!!
and he seems to have nice feet...which is a MUST for me.

Fillabeana
May. 27, 2011, 05:22 PM
What a sweet-looking horse.

If you are measuring 'uphill' by withers and top of croup, he is uphill.

If you are measuring internal body balance by measuring the angle from core of loins (for a 16+ hand horse, about 4 to 5 inches under the top of croup) tot he widest part of the (cervical vertebrae in the) neck, the horse is indeed slightly downhill. Dr. Deb Bennett explains all this in Equus magazine, at the start of her current conformation series. For a Thoroughbred, he is actually not very downhill at all.
If you want to find that point on his neck in this photo (so I can be specific, here), look at the stall grill in the background of the photo. Start at the farthest right bar on the grill of the feed door, and then 'follow' it down until it intersects with the steel at the bottom of the stall grill/top of the wood stall door. This intersection is obscured by the horse's neck, but the wide point of the horse's neck is at that intersection. You want to judge the uphill/downhill when the horse is in his own natural posture, as he is here, and not with his head in the air (snort!!) or his head down (zzzzz...).

I love his expression, his big feet, his long, sloping shoulder and his big withers.

I see Xanthoria's concern with the pastern angle of his right hind. However, this leg is placed farther forward, and it looks like it has more weight on it than the left hind. His left hind-which is properly underneath him with a perpendicular-to-the-ground cannon bone, looks to have a better/stronger pastern. It's hard to see past the boots in front, but his front pasterns are fine, too. Just don't let those hind toes get long.
As for his expression, he doesn't look to have any tension (wrinkly skin) around either his eyes or muzzle- he just looks soft and happy, and involved with whoever is taking the photo. He's not 'checked out', spooked to pick up his ears, or looking like he'd rather be somewhere else entirely. Add a nice coat, and a good shoe job and this looks to me like a horse that is really well taken care of, and happy in his job.

mustangsal85
May. 28, 2011, 11:35 PM
Wow, thanks guys!!! I know, well not a whole lot about conformation and I love learning this stuff!!

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 28, 2011, 11:41 PM

:yes: