PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Shopping Therapy

pryme_thyme
May. 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
So lately I have been thinking that I should buy another saddle to train/ hack on rather than using my Bates 24/7..... and to quench my work stress.

I am really sick of oiling and cleaning leather... I want something easy.

So I have been looking at a new dark brown Wintec 500 jump saddle..... price $550 (including taxes) with leathers and girth.

Any one have any experience with these? Good deal, bad deal?

Any input would be lovely, thank you everyone!

Jumpthemoon16
May. 26, 2011, 06:13 PM
Yuck. No, no, no - horrible saddle from my experience. Puts you in an awful position and gives no security. Not to mention the gullet-change thing, which just scares me.

pryme_thyme
May. 26, 2011, 06:15 PM
Really? too forward?
My bates has changeable gullets... I swear by it.

KateKat
May. 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
how often do you clean your current saddle to make it not easy? My routine is clean only once a week, condition as needed. Pretty easy! Especially with Belvoir 1 Step-just spray, wipe and done! Takes about 5 minutes.

However...if you really do want a synthetic that you could literally hose down, Wintec isn't horrible. BUT...if you've never ridden in one, try one first. They're pretty thick, slippery, squeaky things. At least the ones that I have ridden in. I much prefer leather and doing just basic maintenance.

JB
May. 26, 2011, 06:34 PM
IME the Wintecs are flatter than the Bates, so are not very likely to fit the same horse.

TrakeGirl
May. 26, 2011, 07:13 PM
Ha ha ha...to me, saddle shopping therapy is buying a lovely older LEATHER saddle that needs a little TLC to bring back to life. Ie - a REASON to clean and care for it. :)

pryme_thyme
May. 26, 2011, 07:20 PM
Oh are they?
I figured same manufacturer would mean similiar fit. Thank you for the heads up..

My other thought was an HDR..... rather inexpensive and I wouldn't have to stress about how I am treated it.

(My idea of cleaning ...... a little buff with the shirt sleeve lol) .... Yes, laziness!

sonomacounty
May. 26, 2011, 07:21 PM
Oh?

Wintec fan here. My old dressage saddle was a Wintec. SUPER !!!
Love them.

Not slippery - at all ! Gullet change is fairly easy and a fantastic, fantastic, fantastic thing to have.

I've ridden in the close contact Wintecs also. Very nice. I'm thinking of getting one, actually. Only thing you could say I don't love about them is that once in a rare while they squeak. But not often.

Yes, it's a little different but do a search on the dressage forum for Wintec. Many dressage people love them.

mvp
May. 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
Buying a wintec was not the kind of retail therapy with saddles I had imagined when I opened this thread.

Ha ha ha...to me, saddle shopping therapy is buying a lovely older LEATHER saddle that needs a little TLC to bring back to life. Ie - a REASON to clean and care for it. :)

That's more like it for me.

This version of TLC and the OP's laziness means I should have a mail-order tack cleaning business. Everyone is happy and sane... or as sane as they will get.