PDA

View Full Version : Leather Surcingle with Driving Terrets?

Maude
May. 26, 2011, 04:57 PM
I am looking for a leather surcingle with driving terrets similar to the one that Bo Jena uses. I have the outrigger and leather lines, but need the surcingle. Does anyone know where I can get one? The amish tack shop could add terrets to an existing surcingle depending on how it is made. I'd rather simplify things and just get one with the terrets and rings in place. I've googled it too no avail. Any help would be much appreciated. I would love to buy the Garber-Jena System, but can not afford it.

vtdobes
May. 26, 2011, 05:15 PM
Schneiders has several options for surcingles.

http://horse-supplies.sstack.com/search#w=surcingle&asug=undefined

Tasker
May. 26, 2011, 05:49 PM
Maude - my mom took up an ancient (like 1950's) surcingle to Bartville, talked it over with Young Eli, said what she wanted to change - add Terrets and 2 more sets of rings and it was ready in about 3 weeks. That was 6-8 years ago but I *think* it was $100 for the full custom work...

It has been worth it's weight in gold and held up beautifully.

Ironically enough - the 1950's model is still going strong but is lovely to have an option. :)

Zwarte
May. 26, 2011, 05:52 PM
If you look into driving tack, you will find this part called a "saddle" and they will have the terrets where you want them.

Like this: http://www.coachmansdelight.com/ProductPagewithGuide.asp?pg=sto71&k=40&sku=PARI2-773

If this is too fancy for you, much plainer harness abounds.

pluvinel
May. 26, 2011, 05:55 PM
I have a driving saddle without the tugs. Had side rings added.

Fixating
May. 26, 2011, 06:30 PM
I bought one from Tweespan when I was over in the Netherlands, but never seen one in the states. I am guessing it would be a lot cheaper to have an existing one modified as others have suggested.

pluvinel
May. 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
To have turrets, you need a saddle tree to which the terrets bolt in. So, it isn't as simple as plopping them into a surcingle.

Go find a cheap saddle and unbolt the tugs.

red mares
May. 27, 2011, 08:21 AM
Check Saddleseat tack shops - Show Horse Tack, ShowStopper Tack, LaSalles, Terry Bennett, Fennells, Freedman's, World Champion P & S or even National Bridle Shop. They may have what you're looking for. Some sell replacement ring terrets as well.

extendedTrot.com might have something in their tack classifieds that would work.

Maude
May. 27, 2011, 09:40 AM
I did find a nice leather surcingle with rings and 2 terrets at schockemohle (sp?) in Germany. It is 95 euros and 65 euros to ship to the US. I just received one I had on backorder from Dressage Extensions yesterday. It has lots of rings, but no terrets. It is leather and was $99.00. Fairly nice quality, padded with a nice leather girth. Tasker, I spoke with young Eli yesterday. We pondered over how to attach terrets. I wanted 2 at the top on each side like the Garber-Jena. The Garber-Jena has these plus a lower one about half way down the surcingle. So, a total of 3 on each side. Eli quoted me a price of $60.00 to put two on each side at the top. Still cheaper than the euro one. Tasker, does your mom just have one terret on each side? Has she ever needed lower turrets? Eli is making me 30' 5/8" leather lines with stops for $130.00 that should be ready at the end of next week. I made my own outrigger with a metal ring, snap and replacement chin strap for a halter. $10.00 total for it at Bartville.

Tasker
May. 27, 2011, 09:57 AM
Hey Maude - if you want, give me a call and swing by and take a look at Mom's. We can always haul it up to B'ville and let them measure it again - they are so good at adapting things too - so if you want changes, they'll make it happen. :)

Mom's only has the top terrets (like where your inner thigh would be sort of) but about 6 pairs of rings per side. It fits 99% of our horses with a 28" girth - 15 - 17.3 hands, so it's been very handy.

Mom couldn't find any that she liked when she shopped around - so that's why we went with the one we had & liked most and just changed a few things.

Maude
May. 27, 2011, 10:29 AM
I just ordered the one at Schockemohle in Germany. I guess the dollar is stronger today as the surcingle with terrets and rings is $206.00 which includes shipping. It looks to be of good quality and I won't have to alter it. I guess I really don't need additional terrets if your mom's only has one on each side. I know she is the LL guru, so...Thanks! Now I just have to pack up the DE surcingle and ship it back....

LarkspurCO
May. 27, 2011, 12:04 PM
I got lucky and found a nice one at a garage sale with a crupper and fleece saddle "pad" for $50. I also picked up a Barnsby AVG for $150. And a free poop fork. I need more days like that!