PDA

View Full Version : what to wear

colorfan
May. 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
This thread is for what is acceptable to wear when showing dressage.

I am new to showing so am looking for direction. What are the differences in what you wear in lower level dressage and hunter or jumping classes?

Please don't tell me to ask my coach. I guess I am the only coth member without a regular coach and club to ask these questions.
I did go to a show last year to scope things out, but I don't remember specifics on jacket style and do I need a collar and pin in dressage?

jcotton
May. 26, 2011, 02:12 PM
Read the entire section of the dressage portion of the USEF rulebook. Read it three times! And the ammended sections of the rulebook pertaining to dressage.
Might as well read the hunter/jumper portion, too, while you are at it.

Holly Jeanne
May. 26, 2011, 02:19 PM
You aren't the only one with a regular coach and not part of a club. I would like some clarification though. Since you say you aren't a member of a club, does that mean you are talking about schooling shows rather than recognized shows? I've done a couple of those recently and most of them stated their dress expectations in their materials. I recently bought a cheap dressage jacket but last fall I wore my hunt coat with my choker and pin. I've done a grand total of 4 schooling shows in 13 years and wore hunt attire at all but one. Got good placings too so I assume no one cared. :D

Leprechaun
May. 26, 2011, 02:33 PM
Tall back boots, white breeches, stock, black coat, helmet. Did I forget anything?

InWhyCee Redux
May. 26, 2011, 02:33 PM
From the USDF Website —

http://www.usdf.org/about/about-dressage/competition/tack-equipment.asp

"Riders are dressed formally in competition, traditionally with white or light colored breeches, a light-colored shirt and tie or choker with a black or navy blue colored jacket. Gloves may be white or black. Except for very young riders, boots are black and come up to the knee.

Except for very young riders, long hair is always tied up or in a hairnet with lower level riders usually in a black velvet helmet or derby style hat...."

Leprechaun
May. 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
Oh yeah, white gloves.

JCS
May. 26, 2011, 02:46 PM
Is a white shirt with pinstripes acceptable?

mjhco
May. 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
DR120 Dress.

1. The dress code for Training through Fourth Levels is a short riding coat of conservative color, with tie, choker or stock tie, white or light-colored breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur boots, and protective headgear as defined in DR120.5 and in compliance with GR801. A cutaway coat (modified tailcoat) with short tails is permitted. Half chaps, gaiters and/or leggings
are not allowed. Gloves of conservative color are recommended. Exception: Riders through First Level may wear half-chaps, gaiters or leggings in solid black or brown, without fringe, matching the color of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material. The dress code for the FEI Junior Tests, FEI Dressage Tests for 4, 5, and 6-year-old horses and the USEF test for 4-year old horses is a short riding coat of conservative color, with stock
or tie, breeches, and protective headgear as defined in DR120.5 and in compliance with GR801. A dark tailcoat is also permitted for the FEI Junior Tests. The dress code for FEI Pony Riders is dark coat or club uniform coat, breeches or jodhpurs, white shirt with tie or hunting stock, gloves, boots and protective headgear as defined in DR120.5 and in compliance with GR801. Spurs are optional for all of the FEI Pony and Junior Tests, FEI Dressage Tests for 4, 5, and 6-year-old horses and the USEF test for 4-year old horses. (See DR120.8)

colorfan
May. 26, 2011, 02:58 PM
see I am so green I didn't even think about reading the usef rulebook.
Which immediately brings me to the next question does that rule book apply to Canada?

thanks for lep and inwhycee, now I know what I need to look for.

the show I am looking at says it is a bronze level show. I think a club might be fun, but there isn't one in town.

mjhco
May. 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
I would look up the EC rules for a bronze show.