PDA

View Full Version : Locking of the jaw

SomethingDazzling
May. 26, 2011, 01:06 PM
I have talked to several of my friends on this issue, but I would like to know if anyone else has/has had this problem. :confused:
When my horse gets nervous before a test she throws herself on her forehand and locks her jaw.....for the whole test! By doing this, I loose my up-round, which is very frustrating during a test! :sigh: She has been chiropracted (by more than one doctor) and her teeth floated (by a very good dentist). I have heard of people injecting jaws, but this is something I do notwant to do. Any suggestions??

Dressage_Julie
May. 26, 2011, 01:42 PM
Does this only happen at shows right before a test? If so, it sounds like perhaps you might be getting tight, and she senses that and also locks up. Mares are sensitive and pick up every little change! If it only happens at shows right before the test, then it wouldn't be a medical issue...

mbm
May. 26, 2011, 01:57 PM
are you f'n kidding me?injecting JAWS? i have heard it all now.....

if you want a horse that is soft in the jaw etc you need to learn to ride to create such a horse. no injection will change it.

find a good instructor who can help you learn to ride in such a way to create what you want.

eta: sorry, don't mean to sound harsh but the idea of people injecting and chiro'ing and etcc horses for problems that are RIDER based just really upsets me. and i have never heard of injecting jaws but why am i surprised it happens?

netg
May. 26, 2011, 02:11 PM
My Friesian cross has a tendency to lock her jaw. Really, it's a sign of her locking up her body and dropping on to her forehand.

The cure? Leg yields. Teach the horse to put its body where you want between your legs. Don't throw away your outside rein in the process, and the jaw will soften up as you get the body soft. I have yet to find horse who can be soft in the body and locked in the jaw at the same time.

merrygoround
May. 27, 2011, 10:40 AM
I tend to be with the "are you serious" comments.

What level are your showing? what level are you training?

If a lower level, forward on serpentines, paying attention to how you achieve the bend changes. They should come from the seat and leg and be supported by the hands. When jaws lock, the hind quarters are not working. Your troubles are behind you, not in the jaw.

If you are showing First, you should be at least training S/I, and H/I, which ridden correctly are excellent for engaging the hind quarters and that will lighten the jaw,

CFFarm
May. 27, 2011, 10:42 AM
One theory:

http://horsesforlife.com/RacinetFlexionsoftheJaw

stryder
May. 27, 2011, 11:59 AM
One theory:

http://horsesforlife.com/RacinetFlexionsoftheJaw

this.