PDA

View Full Version : Pay for occasional farm labor?

VCT
May. 26, 2011, 01:05 PM
I did a search but could not find anything. A young woman who lives about a half mile from me is interested in pitching in around the farm occasionally when I have work. She is afraid of handling horses but is familiar with farm work and I could use the help here and there to pick out pastures and such. What would be fair pay?

Also, business is picking up for me if if it keeps going I'll need to hire someone soon for barn chores, as it is right now I am working 12 hour days most days. If it's only a couple hours worth of work a day... what would be fair to pay?

foxhavenfarm
May. 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
We pay $10/hour for 4-8 hours a week of maintenance work.

paohatch
May. 26, 2011, 02:12 PM
We pay $10/hr for work which varies between 10-20 hours/wk but they do everything from heavy work to feeding.

VCT
May. 26, 2011, 03:38 PM
Ok... thats about what I was thinking. Thanks!

I want to make it worth her while since it's not a steady amount of work... it really can't be since she isn't comfortable handling horses at all.

witherbee
May. 26, 2011, 04:21 PM
We do $10/hour too and sometimes throw in a bit extra if it is a nasty job but it doesn't take a long time. I hire the teenager next door - mostly for mowing and yard cleanup. Sometimes i tell him I'll give him $30 and want him to mow x, y, x fields and pick up piles of leaves and Spanish moss. I don't care if it only takes him 2 hours....

Leprechaun
May. 27, 2011, 09:39 AM
We also pay $10/hr. $12 to one girls who's been around forever and is really good.

cindylouwho
May. 27, 2011, 10:46 AM
I pay $10 for basic labor. Usually double that if they are skilled enough to maintain and repair equipment.

Oakstable
May. 27, 2011, 10:53 AM
$10/hour.

Guy does not handle the horses other than maybe turn one out or bring one in.

His work is maintenance of the property, including repairing fences.

LauraKY
May. 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
$10/hour too. Depending on the job and the weather I might furnish snacks and drinks. And a tip for a really nasty job or stacking hay on a really hot day.

the_other_mother
May. 27, 2011, 07:11 PM
One thing I learned when hiring outside labor to do some small jobs was to pay by the job and not per hour. One guy took forever to do the smallest thing and was really running up the hours. This might not be the right solution for jobs that are repetitive every day things like feed and daily chores, but for sporadic jobs like fence painting, roofing, etc it seemed to work better for me. :yes: