PDA

View Full Version : Fly predator wasps and dumpsters

msj
May. 26, 2011, 12:36 PM
I've got a large uncovered dumpster(~12'L x 6'Wx4'D) for manure etc and it's generally picked up about every 3 months. I generally don't have a fly problem in the barn as it's not really close to the stalls and I pick up the paddocks and stalls)every time I see a pile of manure (several times/day). What I do get when I dump manure in it are the little tiny flies, possibly gnats. I have at least 2 spots at which I dump the manure and then fork it around to go into the corners plus the dumpster actually sits in a concrete block bunker so there is no way to put a tarp over it.

Has anyone used the predator wasps for uncovered dumpsters, and if so, how successful was it for you?

MassageLady
May. 26, 2011, 11:15 PM
They're great...they eat the larvae, so no gnats!

Leprechaun
May. 27, 2011, 09:40 AM
Agreed - awesome.

CFFarm
May. 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
Everyone on this board seems to rave about the fly predators. I tried them last year (bought enough for more horses than I have) used them as instructed everytime they arrived and never saw where they helped at all. Some friends had the same result so I guess, like everything, it depends.......:no:

arabhorse2
May. 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
This year was the first time I've tried them, and I love them!

Definitely a huge decrease in the fly population from last year, and I'm only on my second batch of predators.

Spalding gets a huge thumbs up from me. :D

AliCat518
May. 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
We've had huge success with them too. This is my first year using them (SO has been using them for years) and ive seen only a few flies. (I can count how many ive seen on both hands) but our gnats are HORRIBLE. I think theyre worse than ive ever seen. Swarms and swarms. Are fly predators supposed to help with gnats!?!??

msj
May. 27, 2011, 12:46 PM
Based on the replies from those that didn't feel the predators were helpful, I guess I'd like to know where everyone actually purchased their predator wasps. So, if you COTHer's would be kind enough to reply again what company you purchased your wasps I would be most appreciative. :yes: Thanks. :)

I was probably going to go with ARBICO because that's where I've gotten the Mosquito Dunks. I'm going to place an order come Tuesday for more Dunks and figured on ordering the wasps at the same time.

the_other_mother
May. 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
I am on my third or fourth year of using fly predators. Obviously, I like them and feel that they have made a difference. I have no manure flies in or around my barn or manure pile. I do see the little gnat like things on the poop but they are a non issue as far as the horses go. I only wish the predators worked for horse flies, mosquitoes, etc! I have always used Spauldings predators. :)