PDA

View Full Version : What level would this dressage test be in the US?

sophie
May. 26, 2011, 09:12 AM
This is the dressage test anyone must take and pass (along with other riding and writing tests) to be able to ask for an Amateur Competition Licence in France (be it dressage, jumping and eventing).

I'm just playing with these tests with my horse but was wondering which level it would be considered comparable to in the US?

(the translation is my own so let me know if something is not clear - and sorry for the formatting, I can't seem to keep it in the post)

1 A Enter working trot
2 X Halt progressively. Salute.

3 X Proceed at trot
C Track right
4 R 10 m circle
5 PL 1/2 circle 10 m
LX Go straight
XH Leg yield

6 MK Lengthen trot over a few strides
K Working trot

7 P 10 m circle
8 RI ½ circle 10 m
IX Go straight
XK Leg yield
A walk
9 F 8 m circle
FP Shoulder-in left

10 PS Lengthen walk
Before S, medium walk
11 S 8 m circle
SH Shoulder-in right

12 C Canter depart right lead
13 M 12m circle
14 MXF Curved line
15 KM On the diagonal, a few strides of trot then left lead canter
16 H 12 m circle
17 HXK Curved line
18 FS Lengthen canter over a few strides
19 H Working trot
20 R ½ circle 10m. Straight towards C
G Halt. Salute.

Here's the link to the French FFE site.
French riding tests (http://www.ffe.com/ffe/Formations-Equestres/Diplomes-cavaliers/Galops-de-Cavalier)
The above test is the Galop 7 dressage test.

cyndi
May. 26, 2011, 09:19 AM
Well, it's got elements of first, second and third level USEF tests if it's taken at face value. But no flying changes. I wonder if something is lost in translation and the 'extend' canter and trot really is equivalent to 'lengthen stride' like you see in First level. Also, as written it looks like you pick up the canter from the walk, which is not found until Second level in USEF tests. However, the circles are smaller than USEF First level circles. Also, as written, it has rider doing shoulder in and 8m circle at the walk, which is not included in any USEF test.

If the 'extensions' really mean 'lengthening' - I would say about First level - except for the shoulder-in, which is first found in second level tests.

sophie
May. 26, 2011, 09:25 AM
Cindy, you're right about " lengthening" versus " extend". I changed it. As for shoulder-in at walk and canter depart from walk, yes that's what's being asked in the test.
So mostly 1st level then. Thanks!

Velvet
May. 26, 2011, 10:29 AM
Well, it's got elements of first, second and third level USEF tests if it's taken at face value. But no flying changes. I wonder if something is lost in translation and the 'extend' canter and trot really is equivalent to 'lengthen stride' like you see in First level. Also, as written it looks like you pick up the canter from the walk, which is not found until Second level in USEF tests. However, the circles are smaller than USEF First level circles. Also, as written, it has rider doing shoulder in and 8m circle at the walk, which is not included in any USEF test.

If the 'extensions' really mean 'lengthening' - I would say about First level - except for the shoulder-in, which is first found in second level tests.

Shoulder in at the trot is in 2nd. I'd go with you on this and say it's a solid 1st level effort.

dudleyc
May. 26, 2011, 10:35 AM
agree with Velvet.

We are never required to do shoulder-in at the walk.

ideayoda
May. 26, 2011, 11:05 AM
It's essentially first because it is (seems to be) in working gaits. And at one time there was shoulder in at first as well (albeit in trot). The smaller figure (8m) in si of this test is a way of laying ground work for pure walk, lateral flexibility, greater engagement, and understanding of aids. And interesting/useful test, but even more interesting that the french are using LY.

ttino101
May. 27, 2011, 12:16 AM
That sounds like one of the developing horse tests.