View Full Version : Mixing boots front and rear?

May. 25, 2011, 10:43 PM
Mostly my horses go barefoot down here. But I have recently acquired a TWH who seems to go ouchy when we hit any sort of hard surface. So I got hm some Renegade boots for the front . So now in the last 6 months he has blown 2 bad abcesses in the rear feet.

My vet is suggesting I put boots on the back if I don;t want to shoe him all around. I am limited on funds so would prefer to buy a set of boots than the regular 6 week shoeing cost.

So here is the question. I have since purchased a set of easy boot gloves for my Arabian mare. I love the gloves much better than the renagades. I would really like to put a pair of easy boot gloves on his back feet.

Do you think having different boots front and rear will affect him or his gait?

May. 25, 2011, 11:38 PM
as long as the thickness of the boot is about the same you should be fine. worst case put the thinner soled boots on the rears

May. 26, 2011, 09:13 AM

Do you think having different boots front and rear will affect him or his gait?

Nope. I do it with my driving ponies all the time - the old fashioned Easyboots go on the front (because the boot rubber is thicker on the sole and offers the greatest protection) and Gloves go on the back (easy to put on, lightweight).

JMHO, but... the Gloves didn't work well on the front - the boot sole is much thinner than the standard easyboot and ALL of my guys could "feel" the road gravel. So I use the Gloves just on the rear.

You might want to keep in mind that abscesses don't occur just from surface bruising - they can be metabolically induced. That said, it doesn't hurt to boot the rear to offer support and protection. I find my guys always go much better, with a freer natural stride, on all surfaces when either booted or shod.