PDA

View Full Version : Ticks and Trails

Petstorejunkie
May. 25, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm a dressage rider by day, but I moved to this fantastic facility with nearly 20 miles of trails over varying terrain. Needless to say our daily workouts have gone from 60 to 90-120 minutes. we are doing our normal dressage workout in the arena, and then hitting those awesome trails!
SO MUCH FUN!
... except for one thing....
TICKS :eek::eek::dead::dead::dead:

I'm spraying him down with flyspray that's working great for flies before we head out to the arena, he's on freedom 45 every 14 days, but I'm literally picking 3-5 ticks off him after each ride. :no: Thankfully most are not imbedded yet, and I do take great joy in killing them.
They bother him while we are riding. He can tell when one is crawling on him, and needs to stop and gnaw at it :cry:

Other than chemical warfare, is there anything else I can do? Would these (http://www.sstack.com/Horsewear_Fly-Sheets-Sun-Protection/Dura-Mesh-Fitted-Fly-Boots/) help? I've never seen anyone ride with them on, but I'd be willing to give them a try.

tabula rashah
May. 25, 2011, 07:55 PM
The only thing I've found that really works is a good coating of Deep Woods Off on the legs before I go. I usually spray the horses' legs down and my boots and half chaps. It seems to work pretty well.

Cartfall
May. 25, 2011, 10:35 PM
Go to your local drug stores and see if they have sulfur powder. If they don;t ask them if they can order it for you.

Get an old worn out sock. Fill it with a goodly amount of the sulfur. Before you get on your horse, use this as a powder puff and dust your horse on his legs, sides and belly. Also on his tail and rump. This is an old method used for years to keep ticks off of people.

This washes off easily. You will want to wash your horse off immediately when you come in off of the trail. Soap is your best weapon against ticks.

Some people put vaseline on the legs of their horses but I find that too nasty to mess with.

Ticks can also drop out of trees.

Leprechaun
May. 26, 2011, 10:07 AM
Deep Woods Off or Ben's. Wash off w/Ivory Dish liquid and dry after.

walkinthewalk
May. 26, 2011, 10:44 PM
Great suggestions that work.

I prefer the Deep Woods Off because I can spray myself. I could probably whap myself with a sock full of sulphur but I sweat really easy and I have visions of "sulphur glue" creased in my neck and bends of my arms:lol:

Also, when you get back from riding, if you bath your horse down, buy some iodine shampoo and bath him with that.

It makes the ticks "stand up", therefore easy to find.

If you don't have time or energy for a full bath, at least bath the legs, tail, and underneath:)

Petstorejunkie
May. 27, 2011, 12:16 AM
Great suggestions everyone!
I had forgotten about deep woods, never heard of using sulfur, and the iodine shampoo is genius!

Leprechaun
May. 27, 2011, 09:08 AM
Yes, forgot to mention the tail. Treat tail like legs!

suz
May. 27, 2011, 11:44 AM
do you think a good coating of diotamaceous earth wuld work well? i have plenty of that and could coat the lower legs and belly easily enough with it.

GallopingGrape
May. 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
We have tons of ticks... finally I found if you use Bug Block (in the purple bottle) it kills them on contact. When we get back from our ride, they are on their legs, but the tics are dead... if you see any moving, spray 'em. Kills them instantly. And its cheap!

baylady7
May. 31, 2011, 01:41 PM
Anyone feed garlic? what supplement? why dont they make horse treats with it?

baylady7
Jun. 3, 2011, 01:21 PM
Btw, I found (and ordered) these, which contain garlic (and apparently smell somewhat like pizza):

http://www.hiltonherbsusa.com/products/herballs-the-natural-reward/397

I will let you know how they work!!!

Alibhai's Alibar
Jun. 6, 2011, 08:19 PM
It's not foolproof, but I've had good luck smearing Belly Balm (http://www.thetackroom.net/tail-tamers-belly-balm-p-8245.html)(aka Bug Balm) around the ankles before a ride. It's greasy but washes off easily after a ride.

Sounds like a great place to ride- congrats!

JackandMo
Jun. 16, 2011, 09:43 AM
I spray a nice even coat of Deep Woods Off and then a layer of Crisco or Pam cooking spray. We rarely come back with ticks anymore. The cooking spray surprisingly doesn't trap heat and is easy to wash off.