PDA

View Full Version : Hey Chicken folks... check this article out ROFL!

ChocoMare
May. 25, 2011, 08:42 AM
http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Farmer_gives_chickens_glasses

A Chinese farmer has given his chickens specially made glasses to stop them fighting.

Zhang Xiaolong says his aggressive roosters have become much more peaceful since he gave them the plastic glasses.

The glasses are actually blinkers which prevent the birds seeing straight ahead - making direct confrontation more difficult.

Instead they have to look around the sides which makes them more cautious.
Xiaolong, of Xiamen, southern China's Fujian Province, said: "My roosters were always fighting each other - I was losing ten birds a day.

"I was inspired by my own glasses and thought if I could just block their view so they can't see each other directly, they wouldn't have fights.

"It has worked really well. They can't attack each other so confrontations have been minimised."

ladybugred
May. 25, 2011, 10:07 AM
Geez, can you imagine, hens wearing saddles (http://www.hensaver.com/index.html?gclid=CPnv6dCVg6kCFcbc4AodKT1HUQ), and your roos in those glasses???

The ultimate in chicken contraception:lol:

LBR

kinnip
May. 25, 2011, 10:11 AM
Hate to tell him, but those have been commercially available for many years.

SmartAlex
May. 25, 2011, 11:23 AM
I bought some but couldn't bring myself to install them. I think it envolved clipping them into their nostrils? Or at least into their beaks, kind of like hog rings..... couldn't do it.

2DogsFarm
May. 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hate to tell him, but those have been commercially available for many years.

:yes: Yup - trademarked as Pinless Peepers
SmartAlex:
these just clip on, no need to drill into beak

OMG - I am knowing waaaaaaay too much about chickens!

SmartAlex
May. 25, 2011, 01:38 PM
Oh I know there was no drilling involved, but I couldn't stand having something plastic clipped in my nose.

I ended up rehoming the offender instead. Man she was mean. Didn't get any nicer in the new situation either.

JSwan
May. 25, 2011, 02:02 PM
I ended up rehoming the offender instead.

Mine get rehomed into the crock pot.

Life is too short to be chased around by a homicidal chicken.

SmartAlex
May. 25, 2011, 04:21 PM
There's something oddly satisfying about a pet/livestock that is so easy (and acceptable) to behead and boil when they really need it.

Nootka
May. 25, 2011, 04:50 PM
LMAOOO (at it all actually not just the article)

mephistopheles
May. 25, 2011, 05:55 PM
I showed my mother the link, who wants to know why they didn't have those available for siblings :lol:

2DogsFarm
May. 25, 2011, 06:00 PM
I showed my mother the link, who wants to know why they didn't have those available for siblings :lol:

My Mom could tell you we didn't have to see each other to have a fight... :D

Bells
May. 25, 2011, 07:10 PM
I wonder if the glasses would help keep my roo from coming after me?!

JSwan
May. 25, 2011, 07:15 PM
Only if they were bifocals. Then when he looked up at you you would look really really really big, and really really really close.

Bells
May. 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
I already am really, really big! He is a rotten little bantam w/a Napoleon complex:) Little creep wants to take on the world.

ChocoMare
May. 28, 2011, 09:23 AM
Life is too short to be chased around by a homicidal chicken.

Jessica dear, my friend (who raises chickens) and I have been laughing ourselves silly all week over that comment. Tears, hurt belly, the whole enchilada. Thanks for the laff!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: