PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with an entry?

Meredith Clark
May. 25, 2011, 01:26 AM
I do eventing so I'm not sure how this all works, and yes I've read through but I'm still very confused (maybe because it's 1:30am..)

I want to do a dressage show with my horse, he really needs the practice and I'd appreciate some feedback from "real" dressage judges.

I live very close to Fair Hill and DVCTA is having a show there. However I'm confused about USDA vs FEI and what types of fees I have to pay because I'm not a member of whatever organization. Also what the difference is between Sat and Sunday.

If I'm understanding it, it's going to be really expensive for me to do this show.

website (http://www.dvcta.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=46&Itemid=117)

Peggy
May. 25, 2011, 02:37 AM
Doesn't look like it's an FEI show so no worries there. Pretty sure that also takes out the CDI horse fees and the IHP (Int'l Hi Performance) fees.

If you're not a member of USEF and/or USDF you'll have to pay those non-member fees, $30, and $25. Likewise the USEF horse fees. Horse will need a USEF ID# and/or a USDF one (not sure if those are now combined--it's been awhile). You may have to pay a grounds fee if you don't pay for a stall. So, yeah, the entry fees will be less than half your total fee at the show office.

They run one set of classes on Saturday and another (sometimes identical) set on Sunday. So you enter the classes you want on the days you owant.

Hope this helps.

dudleyc
May. 25, 2011, 07:28 AM
Both you and your horse will need a USDF member, or to pay the non-member fee. You will also need USEF numbers - but you may already have these if you event.

You are right that this is likely to be expensive for you. You may consider other options - like taking some really good lessons with the best dressage trainer you can find, attending a dressage clinic, or going to a schooling dressage show.

Tasker
May. 25, 2011, 07:58 AM
I would consider doing dressage schooling shows over recognized dressage if you are going for mileage rather than trying to qualify for Regionals. Class fees are usually $25-30 and you get the feedback from the judge (verbally at the end of the test as they have a bit more time than at a recognized show) and then the comments on the test paper too.

Fix A Test Clinics are great, too as the judge can give you a mini-lesson and then you sometimes get to re-do part or all of your test with a judge coaching you through it.

JMO...but that's what I would do.

Good luck with whichever route you go!

Meredith Clark
May. 25, 2011, 09:16 AM
I didn't realize that the show was such a big deal. I just saw a blurb about it on facebook and since it was close I figured I'd go. I'm not really in the market for such an expensive show, I just paid $200 for a rec. event! :eek:

Tasker- maybe I'll come over and play with you for some dressage help

Big Spender
May. 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
MC-I also came from an eventing background. The first year I had my dressage horse, I just got him an HID (I think it was $20) for USDF and I was already a member of a local dressage association (GMO). I wasn't interested in year-end awards or qualifying for anything, so I was able to compete that way. I was already a member of USEF. The next year I upgraded his USDF to lifetime, got him a lifetime to USEF and I had to have a participating membership to USDF. It was a little less painful with all the fees, because I didn't do them all at once. You're in a great area for schooling shows, especially with DVCTA close by (I used to live in West Chester). You are better off spending less for those shows. You will still get some great judges. Maybe even join DVCTA, if you haven't already, so you can stay informed about shows in the area. Have fun!

PiaffePlease
May. 25, 2011, 02:42 PM
I agree about doing some schooling shows if you just want the mileage/judges comments. You'll be spending ALOT more money at a USDF show than at a schooling show. Schooling shows usually run be $30 a test and then I pay for trailering. Thats it. No office fee, grounds fee, etc.

Good luck!

AM
May. 25, 2011, 08:01 PM
The Maryland Dressage Association also does schooling shows up that way. They have a website and I believe you don't have to be a member for their schooling shows.

Tasker
May. 25, 2011, 08:46 PM
Anytime - happy to help you out!! And we're used to all levels/ages/breeds, so we can work out what will help you both get more comfortable in the ring! :)

I think Delaware Pony Club might have 1 more schooling show at Fair Hill still - check their website. Blue Goose (in Cochranville) has them, Rye Fox West on 926 has them...heck, we can do a 'mini' show here and fix a test with lots of horses coming and going and pretend it's a show! :) Or gradually add that stuff...whatever works best for you both!