PDA

View Full Version : Odd Pain in outside of calf

Puddin Pie
May. 24, 2011, 08:07 PM
Now that I have my rehab guy back to ride (and it is just a little bit at a time), I am starting to have a pain in the outside of each calf muscle, towards the ankle. Since it has been a 6 month lay up period and walking around on my old guy does not count as real riding, it may just be the muscles being sore from use. Anyone out there have similar pains or suggestions? And, yes, I am sure getting older has something to do with it.

cyberbay
May. 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
Well, I have occasional stabbing pain on outside of calf, just about where the tendon of the ankle bone starts. Unfortunately, I relate that to my herniated disc. The chiro didn't disagree, said it could be irritated. It's much diminished by now.

Fortunately, massaging out the glutes (butt) muscles, esp at the top near the spine, seems to take care of it.

GallantGesture
May. 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
Not sure if this is the same pain as yours or not, but one of the ladies in my barn was having a pain that would start midway through her ride. I think hers was right above the ankle, on the outside. We finally figured out that she was weighting her foot in the stirrup iron more on her pinky-toe side and less on her big-toe side, so she was rolling her ankle out. It happened as she started to get fatigued and (unconsciously) lazier about her position. Being aware of it allowed her to eliminate the pain by adjusting her leg position whenever she starts to feel it happening.

Petstorejunkie
May. 24, 2011, 10:20 PM
my guess is you are trying to force your lower leg on to the horse, and forcing your toes forward, but your hips have tightened from the months off causing such behavior.
make sure your weighting all of your toes, not just your pinkie toe

Puddin Pie
May. 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
I will try to not roll onto my pinkie toe today. When I am sitting here at the desk and roll to the outside of my ankle: ouch!

flyracing
May. 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
Shorten your stirrups while you are getting fit again. This will help your lower leg reach the horse and keep both sides of your foot on the stirrup. And keep in mind most people roll their foot inside the boot, not the boot itself, so it probably isn't a visible problem. But now that you know, you will easily identify it if is.

EquestrianRunner
May. 25, 2011, 12:15 PM
I dont know what stirrups you are riding in, but for me I can't ride in any sort of jointed stirrup--the outside of my ankle will start to hurt so bad that I just get off. I also have noticed that during longer rides and riding after a "break" is harder on my ankle. (I do not have any old injuries but it only affects my right side....) I know that the stirrup thing isn't just me.... It hurts my mom, and one of our friends. Some people say that they absolutely need to ride in jointed stirrups- if they dont they get pain in their knees, back, ankles etc.

good luck!!! hope you feel better!