PDA

View Full Version : Sand fleas!!! diatomaceous earth?

fivehorses
May. 24, 2011, 07:56 PM
Just came back from Aiken and was horrified at the amount of sand fleas on my property there.
It was gross. All over my dog and me.

I heard diatomaceous earth would get rid of them.
The horses won't be on the pasture till fall, so was wondering if anyone had any information on how much to use, safety, etc

Or, if anyone had any other methods of getting rid of the sand fleas. yuck.
thanks

ladybugred
May. 25, 2011, 08:54 AM
I tried out DE last yr when we had a horrible outbreak of fleas. It worked well, not spectacularly tho. You have to get the gardening stuff, not the pooll stuff, VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

Also you MUST coover nose and mouth when using it!!!!!!! I slacked on that and ended up with smme breathing issues, constant coughing, almost like a respritory infectiion.

I paid about $64 foor 50lbs, shipped, most of that was shipping. I live in MD best price was coming from NV. Even with tax shipping etc.

You will pay a premium for small amounts

Good Luck

LBR

Try searching for "Fossil Shell Flour" most of what your going to find is packaged by Perma Guard

kinnip
May. 25, 2011, 09:13 AM
If you have a Southern States there, they'll have just what you need.

fivehorses
May. 25, 2011, 09:28 AM
So then you guys are familiar with sand fleas? Obviously I am not. I would put them in the same category as our new england black flies.

So DE is the way to go then, or kinnip did you mean that Southern states will have something differenet?

Anyone know the amount needed to spread on a 15 acre field? How often and when is the best time to put it down?

Can horses go out on it after its put down, or should we wait? This year they aren't there, but next year they will be.

I am glad that there is a solution.
thanks for the input.

ladybugred
May. 25, 2011, 09:37 AM
I have no idea what a SF is, thought it was reg fllea, that lives in sand. Guess not.

The horses can go out while you're applying DE, it can go on them, some eople use it in feed for worming.

There's also something called Cedarcide (http://http://www.cedarcidestore.com/cedarproducts.html), that I believe was developed by a Gulf War Vet after havinng t deall with SF in Saudi Arabia.

LBR

deltawave
May. 25, 2011, 10:03 AM
Skin So Soft is supposed to be what all the Marine recruits take with them to boot camp to combat the sand fleas.

RougeEmpire
May. 25, 2011, 02:08 PM
FOOD GRADE Diotenacious Earth!

deltawave
May. 25, 2011, 02:49 PM
Since the beasties live and presumably reproduce in sand, I'd have my doubts about their vulnerability to silicates and drying agents like DE.

fivehorses
May. 26, 2011, 09:37 AM
I have been told by a friend who has a friend in Southern Pines that DE is the way to go.
Was curious if people used it, how much, success, etc.

I am going to give it a go. The buggers are gross. Doing a search on DE it slices and dices the sand fleas.
I hope it works.

Nes
May. 26, 2011, 01:52 PM
Supposedly livestock producers will put the DE int cloth bags and hang them for the cows to dust themselves with. Can't remember where I read about that but I plan on trying.

I found DE did not work for cat/dog fleas and we had to go for the chemicals after a month of them not going away :S.