PDA

View Full Version : Attire question

JCS
May. 24, 2011, 09:02 AM
I'm gearing up for my first show in five years in a couple of weeks. It's just a local show, not recognized but pointed for state awards etc. My tack is not dressage tack. I changed over from hunters so I have a Pessoa jumping saddle and brown bridle. I would dearly love to buy a new dressage saddle, but it's not in the budget at the moment.

So my question is, should I dress dressagey, with a stock tie, white breeches, and dress boots, for the dressage show? Or should I have my attire match my tack and go with a ratcatcher, tan breeches, and field boots? I have all of the hunter clothes, but would have to buy a stock collar/shirt and white breeches.

I guess really it doesn't matter in the scheme of things. Just looking for opinions on what would be more appropriate.

Leprechaun
May. 24, 2011, 09:10 AM
I think I'd go with white and dressagy!?!

cyndi
May. 24, 2011, 09:16 AM
If it is a schooling show, it will not matter a bit. At least around here. I am a 'dressage' person but save my white breeches for recognized shows and often wear light tan breeches for schooling shows, paired with pale yellow polo. I have bays and that color combo looks particularly good with them. Also, in dressage, if you are not wearing a coat, you do not wear neckwear with your shirt. If you are unsure about the 'rules of the road' in your area, call the show secretary and ask what people usually wear. Have fun!

thatsnotme
May. 24, 2011, 09:16 AM
I would not go buy alot of stuff if budget is an issue. As long as everything is clean and fits well, just wear what you have. Tan breeches and field boots are fine. I would probably get a stock tie, but other than that you'll be fine. There are actually alot of light grey and tan breeches out there, even some navy, hunter and brown coats.

AllWeatherGal
May. 24, 2011, 09:41 AM
I'm a bit short-necked and before I got a lovely suitably-sized stock from Secret Santa, always showed in a light-colored ratcatcher (even with white breeches!). I think it's a nice tidy look. I wouldn't invest in a stock tie, especially if there's a possibility that coats will be called!

Equibrit
May. 24, 2011, 10:28 AM
Wear what is comfortable.

esdressage
May. 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
You're going to be judged on your performance, not what you wear. Be neat, tidy and comfortable, and you'll be fine. I like a tucked-in polo for schooling shows rather than a show shirt, personally.

Janet
May. 24, 2011, 03:03 PM
I would NOT wear white britches to a dressage schooling show.

Wear your show hunter clothes, but just be sure that shirt is light colored.

But there are many schooling shows where the standard attire is a light colored polo, tucked into tan britches. So call the secretary and ask what is the norm for this show.

meupatdoes
May. 24, 2011, 03:41 PM
I did my schooling shows last year in a grey helmet, navy fullseats, a belt, and a white polo or white men's shirt depending on the temperature of the day.

And field boots.

It was perfectly presentable; I also wear that ensemble to clinics.

JCS
May. 24, 2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the replies! I have scribed for these shows a bunch in the past, and everyone always wears coats, white breeches, etc, the whole deal. I would definitely look too casual in a polo (although that's what I really would prefer to wear). I'll go ahead and wear my hunter gear. :)

paintlady
May. 25, 2011, 12:34 PM
I would NOT wear white britches to a dressage schooling show.

Wear your show hunter clothes, but just be sure that shirt is light colored.

But there are many schooling shows where the standard attire is a light colored polo, tucked into tan britches. So call the secretary and ask what is the norm for this show.

Really? I'm in NoVA and probably more than 1/2 the people dress in coats and white breeches at schooling shows that I've attended. I will wear a polo if it's really hot, but otherwise I go in full dress.

Bottom line... check out what others are wearing and dress accordingly for your area. I'd think hunter show clothes would be fine although I probably would put on a stock tie.

baylady7
May. 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
dont worry- I rode a test in a polo and tan britches and won handily. It is your performance that gets judged.

InWhyCee Redux
May. 26, 2011, 01:37 PM
Had the same question myself *— according to the USDF rule book, either white OR light-colored breeches are A-OK, thank god! Good luck. ;)