PDA

View Full Version : OOPS! It's a rattler

Tangerine Farmer
May. 23, 2011, 11:56 PM
I was coming down a steep hill on my young mare this fine morning when EEK. Slam on the brakes. We finally stopped 2' in front of a rattler who was making his way across the path.

I couldn't steer her one way or the other, as I didn't think we could beat the snake across the path. So we stood there while the snake had to make a decision.

Thankfully Mr. snake thougth it best to quietly turn around and go into a squirrel hole. Whew, he must have been feeling happy, and not argumentative today!

JustTrails
May. 24, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hi Tangerine, yep, it's that time of year. Because of all the rain we got this year, they are out heavier than ever. I work with a dog trainer that puts on rattlesnake aversion clinics, we had 2 dogs back to back that had 2 bites each and survived. At least with horses you can stop them and the snakes usually choose to leave. My mare dances when she gets anxious, so I'm sure the snake thinks she is an actual herd of horses!

Leprechaun
May. 24, 2011, 08:22 AM
Yikes! I'm complaining of Black Flies turning to Mosquitos. New England never sounded so good. I hate snakes - you're very brave!

coloredcowhorse
May. 24, 2011, 09:15 AM
Yep.....out here too. Several years ago friends were riding in the hills above town on Mothers Day...came across a snake den.....got photos of probably 100 of them just getting out and warming up in the sun. Have already seen several 3-4 ft bull snakes killed along the roads (they look a lot like rattlers so people who don't know better or don't care tend to run over them.....these are GOOD snakes so it always bothers me to see them dead). Lost a colt two years ago to snakebite on his face....swelled up enough that he suffocated...found him when I got home from work.

Bluey
May. 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
I was coming down a steep hill on my young mare this fine morning when EEK. Slam on the brakes. We finally stopped 2' in front of a rattler who was making his way across the path.

I couldn't steer her one way or the other, as I didn't think we could beat the snake across the path. So we stood there while the snake had to make a decision.

Thankfully Mr. snake thougth it best to quietly turn around and go into a squirrel hole. Whew, he must have been feeling happy, and not argumentative today!

Any time we find a rattler, if they are not directly threatening us, we take time to look around, as at times there is more than one there and we don't want to move in the wrong direction and get on one trying to avoid another one.

We are so super dry here, have not had any rain yet this year, rattlers are rattled and quick to react right now.

dani0303
May. 24, 2011, 09:37 AM
In the Southeast it's Copperhead season! We found a nest in our hay barn. Eeek. I HATE snakes. So far we've killed 6 this season. I didn't even see 6 all year last year!

fivehorses
May. 24, 2011, 07:24 PM
I am not sure I want to even ask how a copperhead builds a nest in your barn or what it looks like!

wsmoak
May. 24, 2011, 07:29 PM
In the Southeast it's Copperhead season! We found a nest in our hay barn. Eeek. I HATE snakes. So far we've killed 6 this season. I didn't even see 6 all year last year!

Apparently they really like straw/hay. Guess what I've mulched the garden with! I'm very careful where I put my hands and feet.

But, this is why I have a herd of "barn cats". So far they've found a rat snake (who was on its way to the bluebird nest) and more recently a very large red-bellied watersnake.

Nothing bad, yet!

(The rat snake was relocated. The watersnake, unfortunately, got misidentified as a cottonmouth and was dispatched. Next time I will ask it to please roll over so I can check.)

suze
May. 24, 2011, 08:02 PM
Our of our border collies got bitten by one a couple of weeks ago. At the vet's office they said it was their 7th already this year. Going to be a bad summer, I think.

PRS
May. 24, 2011, 09:38 PM
I am not sure I want to even ask how a copperhead builds a nest in your barn or what it looks like!

I believe it is going to an interesting year. A local toddler was bitten on the foot by a 9" copperhead in his back yard within 20' of the house. I've already seen several rattlesnakes (one fairly close to my property) and it is dry, dry, dry here. I'm actually having to buy hay because my pastures are dry and I'm usually knee deep in lush pasture right now. I've never bought hay in May before, never.

Tangerine Farmer
May. 24, 2011, 09:41 PM
Yesterday I also saw a Cottontail rabbit chasing a very long Gopher snake through the brush. 2 Towhees were watching and hopping after the procession.

Strange little habits of animals. The snake was probably looking for nice tasty young bunny.

ColoredCowhorse: I'm sorry to hear about your snake kill!

I am now loading up my wheel barrow for the night feeding..in the afternoon when I can see if the buggers are in my hay resting and looking for rats.