PDA

View Full Version : Oldest stakes winner? Oldest NM bred stakes winner?

BansheeBreeze
May. 23, 2011, 11:33 PM
Does anybody know who the oldest horse to win a stakes race was? How about oldest NM bred?

My friend has a horse in her barn who is 13 years old and still running. Has been running since he was 2 and made 99 starts with 19 wins, 24 seconds, and 20 thirds and earnings of $863,381. He's no cheap claimer either, has only run in small stakes, allowances and AOC. In his only 2 starts this year he ran a second and third. He won a stakes race last year, and I'm sure he'll be back at it again this year, so she is wondering about his possible record holder status.

He is a neat old horse who shows absolutely no signs of slowing down. He gets excellent care and has been with the same owner/trainer his entire life. He is a monster on the track in the mornings, scares most of the excercise riders. He HAS to go on the track with the pony, backtrack and turn to go the right way and it takes the rider and the pony person hold him together until they can break him off and off he goes like a freight train! They have tried retirement but he hates it.

Drvmb1ggl3
May. 24, 2011, 12:37 AM
Caracciola (http://www.pedigreequery.com/caracciola3) won a couple of Listed races and finished 4th in a G2 as a 12yo. He raced in a G2 in 2010 as a 13yo, but was unplaced. He is now retired.

BansheeBreeze
May. 24, 2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks for that info. That means he would have tied the record(if it is still accurate per the info on pedigree query), wondering still if he holds the US record. I did find a 19 year old Arabian that won a stake in England but I'm not counting that lol

Madeline
May. 24, 2011, 09:26 AM
In 2005 Make Me A Champ won the MAryland Hunt Cup, a timber stakes, at 14. Peter Simple, in 1853, won the English Grand NAtional at 15.