PDA

View Full Version : Truck insurance???

superD
May. 23, 2011, 11:00 PM
I am getting a truck that i will use almost solely for trailering my own horse. I have another vehicle that I use for every day driving.
Does anyone know if I need special insurance? or registration? I am in Pa

Guilherme
May. 23, 2011, 11:21 PM
Regarding registration, talk to your local DMV office.

Regarding insurance, if you're not a "business" or other type of commercial operator you can probably just add it to your current policy with your auto. Some states declare trucks over a certain weight to be "commercial" by definition (CA and MA do this at 10,000 lb. GVW, IIRC). I don't know about PA. Your insurance agent should know.

G.

shakeytails
May. 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yup, regular auto insurance. I have "farm" tags on my truck, but the farm tag thing varies from state to state. For example in NY(used to be anyway), a farm tagged vehicle didn't need to be inspected or insured and could only be driven within a certain radius of home. But in NY all PU trucks used to have "commercial" tags- that was lots of fun when I went to visit friends on LI and couldn't take the expressways because "commercial" vehicles were prohibited! In KY it's really no different than any other tag.

Be sure to tell your agent that it won't be a daily driver and about how many miles you'll put on it in a year- it should save you some money as I understand that rates are tied to mileage.

deltawave
May. 24, 2011, 09:58 AM
If you know for certain that you won't use the truck for months at a time, you can drop some of the coverage for when it's not being driven. I do this with my old VW convertible which is ONLY a May-September vehicle.

pupakin
May. 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
If you know for certain that you won't use the truck for months at a time, you can drop some of the coverage for when it's not being driven. I do this with my old VW convertible which is ONLY a May-September vehicle.

Depends on the state. I know in MI you could do this without a problem but in SC (where I am now) if you drop your insurance you are required to turn your plate into them. The insurance carrier is required to notify the DMV and the DMV in turn will fine you (I think it is $5 a day) for not having insurance.

Before dropping any coverage on your truck, check with your DMV to make sure that there aree no hoops to jump through that may end up costing you more than just keeping the coverage in place.

deltawave
May. 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
OK, good to know! Guess we are lucky up here, and I apologize for the non-universal advice. :)

superD
May. 24, 2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks everyone!!! I am going to keep it insured just in case. But was just wondering if there was any special things I needed. I am waiting for everything to get finalized so I couldn't get exact quotes till I have the VIN number.

Thanks again for all the advice!!!

mvp
May. 25, 2011, 07:31 AM
Put it on your regular policy and let your insurance agent help you. It's not your daily driver and they'll ask you how many miles per year you'll put on this truck. I think you can get a slightly lower rate for a vehicle driven under their threshold. For my company, I think that was 7,500 miles/year.