PDA

View Full Version : TB I.D. - longshot

johnnysauntie
May. 23, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hi all -

I'm buying OTTB #3. The horse is an 11 year old dark bay/brown gelding. The owner wasn't able to read the tattoo beyond the first digit (D). However, I was told that his name might have included the word "hydraulic."

I consulted Equineline and lo and behold, there is a 2000 model Australian-bred brown gelding named "Hydraulic." He's unraced.

I know some folks on this forum have access to a broader set of TB data and am hoping that someone in their free time might take a look at that 2000 model Hydraulic's info and see what distinguishing marks were registered.

The horse in question has very little in the way of markings - nothing on his legs, and a very very faint star on his forehead. The star - if you can even call it that, it's really a patch of roaning that is about the size of a silver dollar - is off-center, more toward his left eye. There may also be a tiny tiny snip.

And for what it's worth, his build is atypical. Looks more like an appendix - no sharkfin wither and a heavier, broader, sturdier build than the more typical TB. I have no idea if this makes any difference, but when I saw him I thought "TB? Really?" When I get him fit he's going to be a tank! :D

Once the critter is in my possession I'll try to get a better read on the tattoo with a black light. But I thought I'd roll the dice with what little info I have.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!

caffeinated
May. 23, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hmm...

If he has a tattoo and was unraced, he was a young horse here in the US, and my guess would be that an Australian horse wouldn't be imported before he'd already started racing (unless he was imported as a sport prospect - but then he wouldn't have a lip tattoo at all, I don't think).

Also Australian TBs are branded on the shoulder. That must be done by March 31 of their yearling year.

So I'm guessing just based on that info that it's unlikely he's the Australian model. Not impossible, but very unlikely.

johnnysauntie
May. 23, 2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the details, Caffeinated. He doesn't have a brand. I wondered too at an unraced Aussie import.

I'll make a concerted effort to read the tat when I actually have the horse, and then I'll be able to get more details - whorls, etc. And thanks for the photo tips!

johnnysauntie
May. 23, 2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the details, Caffeinated. He doesn't have a brand. I wondered too at an unraced Aussie import.

I'll make a concerted effort to read the tat when I actually have the horse, and then I'll be able to get more details - whorls, etc. And thanks for the photo tips!

K~2
May. 23, 2011, 03:44 PM
Imported TB tattoos start with an asterisk. I would guess your horse was foaled in North America.

Xctrygirl
May. 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
10000% agree with K 2

If there is a "D" it's a US bred 2000 model (like I own)

Take pics of tat once you have him. And I know a bunch of folks can help figure it out.

~Emily