PDA

View Full Version : Horse country- where would you go?

JSO
May. 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
I'm looking to relocate in the next few years and would love to be in a "horse country" somewhere along the East Coast... hopefully not too far from the ocean and in a place not too farm from culture/cities. I'd love someplace with lots of pastures as well.
Any suggestions? Where would you go?

Thanks! :)

suz
May. 22, 2011, 08:50 PM
i know i'm a broken record---but i'd love to move to pei.
atlantic beaches, affordable farms, and the capitol has an equine vet school.
sounds like heaven to me!

blaster
May. 22, 2011, 10:03 PM
Middleburg, VA

MunchkinsMom
May. 22, 2011, 10:59 PM
Ocala of course. One hour drive to either coast, and more horse farms in a single county (that is the size of Rhode Island) than I could have ever imagined.

Seriously, take a 3 day weekend trip down here, you will be amazed.

Plenty of culture available, Gainesville to the north, Orlando and Tampa to the south, with plenty of theaters, museums, etc. My mother-in-law goes to see plays once a month in either Tampa or Orlando.

We also have the Ocala civic theater here in town, and the Appleton Museum.

Here is a site that can give you a bit of a taste for what Ocala and Marion county have to offer.

Plain Jane
May. 22, 2011, 11:01 PM
Ocala, Florida
Wellington, Florida
Alpharetta, Georgia
Aiken, South Carolina
Middleburg, Virginia

Soooo many options! :)

AnotherRound
May. 23, 2011, 06:59 AM
Killingworth, Ct very good prices on property, lots oaf acreage (sorry, keyboard is owonky) no backspace) and just a drive down to the coastline - Killingworth is rural, but very close to wonderful areas, such as Madison and north aMadison and Essex on the CT river. Its in the middle of the state so easy to get to NYcity or Boston, about a 2.25 hour drive ontoo Cape Cod. Easy drives to vermont for skiing. Take a look at Bing maps. Killingworth provides much of the jhome territory for cockaponsett state forest, riddled with horse trails. the Lower CT valley horse club is very active in trail maintenance and legal and local issues pereserving land use for horses. You are also accessible to lmany ;trainers and farms in CT. Do be sure to give Killingworth area of CT a look. Misty Blue lives in this town, so you can ask her about it too. I board at Top Cat farm on parker hill road extension contiguous to the state forest. Many many farms nearby. I think every 4 homes has horses. You could do very well price wise, as I said, as well. Good luck, keep reporting your progress!

Killingworth is one town "in" from the coastal towns - the towns on the coast are a bit more pricey - Branford, Guilfrod, Madison, Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook, but a town north of them finds good more rural property. Anopther good horse town to look abtwould be Bethany, north of another good town, Woodbridge. Probably find more property for your money in Bethany.

If you are looking in CT, realize that property in Fairfield County is double what it would be in New Haven County (the woddbridge, bethany areas) and three times Middlessex county (the Killingworth/Westbrook area). So don't let anything you investigage in fairfiedl county set you against CT).

LauraKY
May. 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
What kind of riding? And what price range?

judybigredpony
May. 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
Ocala, Florida
Wellington, Florida
Alpharetta, Georgia
Aiken, South Carolina
Middleburg, Virginia

Soooo many options! :)

If you like humidity and bugs IMHO...

You need to check out land prices, taxes, and how they will tax any retirement income 1st.

Do you want seasonal weather changes and some snow?
Do you like flat and sand versuses topsoil and hills?
Do you compete, whats the discipline?
Do want to ride off the property near public trails?

Leprechaun
May. 23, 2011, 11:33 AM
How about Massachusetts?
1.5 hrs. to Boston, 2 hrs. to Cape Cod, 1 hr. to the Berkshires.
34 acres & lovely home, completely turn-key, crazy low taxes & hayfield turn-outs.
Surrounded by organic farms and conservation land.
Price just reduced by $100k.

PM me if MA is interesting to you

nightsong
May. 23, 2011, 02:46 PM
How much money do you have? Some of the locations mentioned are QUITE pricey.

atlatl
May. 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
Keep going east until you hit the central coast of CA. As long as you look south, you'll have the ocean on the "right" side!!:winkgrin:

tasia
May. 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Ocala, FL.

AnotherRound
May. 23, 2011, 08:05 PM
atlatl!!!:lol: That's the right way to think! I mean, east is east, right?

MeghanDACVA
May. 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
Ocala, in a minute.
I have lived all over most of the east coast, in OK now, and even some time further west/CA.
Grew up in KY. North of Lex and Louisville. That would be my second pick.

MunchkinsMom
May. 25, 2011, 01:52 PM
Might be helpful if I actually put the link in the post - duh.

http://www.ocalamarion.com/index.asp

tabula rashah
May. 25, 2011, 02:08 PM
Check out northeastern Maryland. I am

60 mins from Baltimore
60 mins from Philly
2 hours from DC
close to Devon, Fair Hill, Radnor, PG Equestrian Center, Stone Tavern
2 hours from the beach
still fairly rural

Oh and within an hour I have at least 7 tack stores

witherbee
May. 25, 2011, 02:21 PM
Another Ocala FL fan here. Never thought I would move from New England, but LOVE it here and the bugs are MUCH less than they were in MA. Tack shops galore, horse trailers everywhere (1st time I went to Lowes there were 2 large gooseneck trailers with horses tied out to the sides of them lol). Just a real horse culture here and plenty of culture as well.

halo
May. 25, 2011, 10:30 PM
I third (or is that fourth?) Ocala. Hundreds of farms, every breed you could want. Horse activities all the time, tack shops, feed stores. Heck, horses are even often on the front page of the Ocala Star Banner.

I go nearly every Sunday morning to the beach. So it really is a wonderful place. And having lived up north, those stifling summers up there are far worse than in Florida. And the winters....aaaaahhhhh. Ever pick tomatoes on Christmas? I have.

carolprudm
May. 26, 2011, 07:16 AM
Mr P has mentioned FL as a "retirement" location. I HATED the idea...I don't do hurricane evacuation areas. I was thinking of Sedona or Sante Fe but he likes to fish. So, how do hurricanes affect the area?

halo
May. 26, 2011, 07:21 AM
I was here in 2004 when we were in the crosshairs of 4 hurricanes. I didnt even have a tree down, tho we did lose power all 4 times. I got a generator to make sure I wouldnt lose electric again for an extended time (lost it for a week, since I live on the edge of the county, the least populated area). Of course since then Ive never even had to take the generator out of the box. It seems every year some part of the country is getting a beating...this year its Tornado year.

CVPeg
May. 26, 2011, 08:09 AM
SO mentions FL frequently as well - although with the word "condo" attached. Ptui.

Well, since he's in ME, and I'm in NY, mebbe he could pull a few weeds and learn to drive a tractor in Ocala? OK, so I'll still have to pull the weeds.:lol:

Last trip - KY, VA, SC, NC. Which did little for me except cause me to fall in love with so much horsiness, and mull over Tryon NC & No VA. SO still not impressed. (But he wasn't there, so how does he really know?)

Next trip - Ocala (NOT Miami!).:winkgrin:

morganpony86
May. 26, 2011, 08:10 AM
Considering lots of things like land available, weather, job options in our field, etc, my SO and I plan to relocate to NC. That is more than enough horse country for me.

Heart's Journey
May. 26, 2011, 10:26 AM
At least with hurricanes you have warning - you know how to prepare for the storm and can leave if you want to. Tornados and earthquakes arrive at a moment's notice. Other areas have horrible flooding, forest fires, mudslides, etc

I guess having dealt with hurricanes for the past 50+ years and having no damage to deal with, I'll stick with Fla. (though I am in South Fla and will move most likely to the Ocala area).

sportinghorsepolo
May. 26, 2011, 10:44 AM
Love Monkton, MD:D

lovetojump2
May. 26, 2011, 11:22 AM
Another Ocala fan. All kinds of horse activity. Culture, good restaurants all close. Lots of top trainers even in the summer. I'm originally from the Midwest. The bugs and heat are really no worse here, but the footing doesn't get hard as a rock like up there.If you don't have to be in the Golden Corridor you can find reasonably priced farms right now

RNB
May. 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
Virginia. Beautiful horse country! :winkgrin:

fivehorses
May. 26, 2011, 07:26 PM
I picked Aiken, SC.
Having just spent almost 2 weeks there I can tell you the heat there is not the same heat as we get in New England.
It was 95 during the day, and there was always a breeze so it was manageable. Granted, the sun was very hot, and I did need protection.

Now, back in New England, I find the air thicker, more challenging to breathe. Its heavier. Although on dry summer days its perfection.

My taxes will be substantially lower(like way lower), almost non existant. Horses in Aiken, forget it, its totally horses. Its almost surreal if you come from a non horsey environment.

I think everyone finds there place when they go to visit.
So, if you can, put a bucket list together...go visit and see which one fits.

Nootka
May. 27, 2011, 04:18 AM
Middleburg, VA

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

But I must hit the lotto first

Ocala as a winter home....

Hurricanes have warning but the only thing you do need to watch is the lightning (that's everywhere in the US) Nootka was out in the field and lightning struck right next to her. Her whole hindend fell to the ground (She was ok and I saw this. I amost died watching it!) Storms can just pop up all of a sudden

Nootka
May. 27, 2011, 04:22 AM
Check out northeastern Maryland. I am

60 mins from Baltimore
60 mins from Philly
2 hours from DC
close to Devon, Fair Hill, Radnor, PG Equestrian Center, Stone Tavern
2 hours from the beach
still fairly rural

Oh and within an hour I have at least 7 tack stores

oh forgot ... and ^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

MunchkinsMom
May. 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
I was here in 2004 when we were in the crosshairs of 4 hurricanes. I didnt even have a tree down, tho we did lose power all 4 times. I got a generator to make sure I wouldnt lose electric again for an extended time (lost it for a week, since I live on the edge of the county, the least populated area). Of course since then Ive never even had to take the generator out of the box. It seems every year some part of the country is getting a beating...this year its Tornado year.

2004 was the year I moved here. I had done my homework, Ocala had not been hit with a hurricane in over 100 years, so of course it was overdue. So we got hit with Frances and then Jeanne.

We lost some shingles on the roof (which we put a whole new roof in the next year as part of the additions on the house project anyway), and a few tree branched, and had some soggy stalls that had to be cleaned, that was it. Lost power for 5 days, but we had brought our generator with us from New England anyway. We now have the quick switch box in the garage to run the stuff we need (well pump and refridgerator) until the power is restored.

FYI - high temp today is in the low 90's, but I rode this morning at 10AM, and it was fine, yes, we both (me and the horse) sweated a bit, but that is to be expected.

You learn to time your chores around the cooler parts of the day, and stay indoors for the 4 or 5 hours of worst of it. No different than a heat wave up north, actually, I found those to be worse.

tabula rashah
May. 27, 2011, 03:33 PM
It boggles my mind how many people want to live in FL- I have to be in Wellington a few days a year and that is more than enough for me- LOL :D Seriously- it's flat, it's hot, it's full of people and there aren't any real trees to be had-yuck!

Frank B
May. 27, 2011, 03:40 PM
This can help as far as the potential tax problems:
http://kiplinger.com/tools/retiree_map/index.html

tasia
May. 27, 2011, 04:06 PM
It boggles my mind how many people want to live in FL- I have to be in Wellington a few days a year and that is more than enough for me- LOL :D Seriously- it's flat, it's hot, it's full of people and there aren't any real trees to be had-yuck!

Ocala is very different than Wellington;)

MunchkinsMom
May. 27, 2011, 09:02 PM

Very much so! My in-laws (who now live with us) used to live in South Florida, in Plantation and Boynton Beach, and I swore to high heaven that I would NEVER live in Florida, because that was all I had ever known about Florida.. . . Until I discovered Ocala.

tabula rashah
May. 28, 2011, 08:00 AM

Meh, still way too far from the mountains for me :)