PDA

View Full Version : "Modern Dressage = Horse Abuse"...article

hundredacres
May. 22, 2011, 04:51 PM
If this has been brought up here before, my apologies (I am always a day late with this kind of stuff because I really don't surf the internet too frequently). Anyway, this article on this guys site gave me a headache. There are many truths, but wow! the delivery is pretty unpaletable. It took me some time to realize this is a dressage enthusiast. In the beginning I was thinking it was either someone who hates all riders of horses, or some opposing discipline:

http://www.horsemanpro.com/articles2/dressage_abuse.htm

Some Quotes:
(using a small child to make a point....reminds me of a preacher):

"Once, when my family and I were watching the Olympic Games dressage competition, one of my children (then four years old) asked me with her innocence: "Daddy, why do the riders look so stiff and grouchy?" (Imagine that, a little four-year-old child who knows nothing about horses and riding can see the obvious absurdity of these riders’ actions, which their presence reflects. Some folks said in defense of this observation that the riders are not grouchy but rather are concentrating, and yet they compare dressage to a dance. Just how bad must a dancer be to have to concentrate on where his feet are?)
I told my kids that they look the way they do because “they, as well as their hearts, are hard as stones.” One would think that this may be a cruel statement, but here is a simple enlightened response to that. The dressage folks preach a freedom of movement and a willingness to work on the part of the horse. Well, if that’s so, why do they need all the severe aids...."

And from another article on the same site ("There is No Such Thing as Dressage Today"):

"Just for short note, the dressage is for very advanced riders only. It takes about 10 years of riding several horses per day, under an advanced rider (teacher) supervision (working, not playing) before a person can say he or she is dressage rider, providing he or she had the talent to become one. This does not make him a trainer yet, that takes another ten years. To become a genuine teacher (instructor) that takes another ten years, which then makes such person 30 years full time employment as a dressage rider and twenty years as dressage trainer before he is qualified as a teacher (old days term master)."

Dammit. I'll be 75 years old and my horse will be....dead, before I can ever "do dressage" :(.

kinnip
May. 22, 2011, 04:55 PM
I'm guessing this dude rides dressage from his computer chair.

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 22, 2011, 05:04 PM
. Just how bad must a dancer be to have to concentrate on where his feet are?)

:lol: Because,true dancers just kind of float around. They don't have to work at it or anything :lol:

CFFarm
May. 22, 2011, 05:32 PM

Looks like from under the horse:

http://www.horsemanpro.com/about.htm

And like bronc riding is good for the horse.

Let me add I think Gerhard Kapitzke's definition of "classical riding" makes a lot more sense. I can't write the whole quote here but here's some.

"The term classical could be defined as historically developed tradition. However, it signifies much more than a mere historical process-from an equestrian point of view, it is synonymous with timeless validity, highest standards of quality, examplary training methods, nonviolence and respect for our fellow beings: in short, it represents a cultural asset recognized by numerous generations, which stands for the harmony between animals and humans and is a fundamental and powerful example and guide to many."

JMHO

cnm161
May. 22, 2011, 05:46 PM
Well, not every one's a winner. Just sayin'.

ThreeFigs
May. 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
What Kinnip said.

I had a quick look at his site and have to say what a nasty misogynist he is! Hundredacres, don't waste your time on him. Searching for the "truth" in that stack of dreck takes more time than it's worth.

hundredacres
May. 23, 2011, 05:55 AM
LOL...I missed the rodeo pictures! That just makes it all the more -- odd. And you aren't kidding, Beasmom ;). What a nut.
Something else I've observed about horse related sites - it seems like the fluffier the website, the less legitimate they actually are. This isn't an absolute, but in this case all of the content, it's definitely "fluff".

Tiki
May. 23, 2011, 07:57 AM
It does have some beautiful pictures of the old Czech stables, but accompanied by a few very odd comments.

Kyzteke
May. 23, 2011, 11:21 AM

You know, amazingly enough, there are plenty of real dressage riders who aren't happy with the "look" of modern competitive dressage.

It HAS changed -- so many riders never let go of the horse's mouth, they ride the curb constantly, while driving the horse forward, forward, forward.

Horse is in a constant choke hold. Of course there are exceptions, but personally I find most modern, GP rides rather ugly today....very little harmony, lightness or expression.

Abuse? Well, for alot of us working for a living is abuse ;), but in terms of the "dance" quality dressage was always suppose to exhibit, I also find that in short supply as well.

But not sure we need to the ranting of this guy to tell us that. Mainly we just need eyes...;)

amastrike
May. 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

englishcowgirl
May. 24, 2011, 01:46 PM
hmmm... apparantly the racing industry is just perfect according to this person. Do they not know about all the break downs and problems with washed up runners going to slaughter? Gosh, this article is ignorent...

Apparantly he has not seen race riders carrying crops... :lol::lol::lol:

amastrike
May. 24, 2011, 01:47 PM
hmmm... apparantly the racing industry is just perfect according to this person. Do they not know about all the break downs and problems with washed up runners going to slaughter? Gosh, this article is ignorent...

Apparantly he has not seen race riders carrying crops... :lol::lol::lol:
I like the article about women being abusive because we like to be in control of something. :lol:

ThreeFigs
May. 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
Ooh. I missed that one.

I stopped with his attacks on poor ol' Sally Swift. Good Lord, the man is full of vitriol!

4xhoof
May. 24, 2011, 03:26 PM
This website is eerily similar to anothers (who frequents this forum and goes on and on and on about the evils of modern dressage, judging, etc). Too many similarities, makes me wonder if this type of personality seeks out riding disciplines and attacks them to get their own names out there and noticed.

The Hobbit
May. 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
His article detailing how women are weak/flawed/and inferior, and as such, seek control over something and are somehow thus responsible for the abuse of horses is rather infuriating (as is his failure to master the English language).

"Suffering from a major case of intellectual inferiority complex, which is a weakness often exploited by the so-called "progressive" ruling powers, which are men and not women. This feminine intellectual inferiority complex has been exploited by men already in my young days in all the communist countries and it finally arrived here in the states about 40 years ago (the seventies). It should be noted that the more a woman suffers from this intellectual inferiority complex the more she will desire (or dream of) respect and recognition not only by men but also by women.And so they often become some activists, often sexists, go to some school and then when debating something always referring to some researches or so-called "scientific facts". They are simply eager to become someone respected and acknowledged, or better yet, admired or celebrated, and so they have this urge to prove themselves not only to themselves but to others, hence so much of the competition (sports, horse shows etc.) in this feminized world.
In short, the feminization of the "modern world" has only one purpose, which is about the weakening of men in order to control them, and women were always used for such purpose from the times when human beings begun to seek power over one another. Remember folks that whenever you believe that some woman is in power or in control, there is always someone else pulling her strings to control men and women through her, and at the top of this unseen hierarchical tower there are no women."

Does any of this make sense to anyone else? It certainly seems to be full of logical fallacies.

These comments are also relatively telling of the writer's ignorance and bias:

"A genuine lack of awareness, as most women simply have no clue what is going on, which is mostly caused by the following flaws."

"Denial, as most women due to their judgmental nature cannot handle guilt and/or the fear of harming life."

WTH?? *sigh* So much stupid and so few places to discard bodies.

Trevelyan96
May. 24, 2011, 04:00 PM
LOL, read this site a while ago. The delivery is harsh, he's an obvious misogynist (sp?), but if you can get past your personal feelings on his abrasive manner, there is a lot of truth there.

NotABreed
May. 30, 2011, 05:09 PM
I read this site a while ago too. The guy is a sexist pig. Read any of his other rants and you can see that. I stop reading when someone allows their personal beliefs to enter into the writing, unless prefaced with "my personal belief is..."

He's an ass.

hundredacres
May. 30, 2011, 05:11 PM
His article detailing how women are weak/flawed/and inferior, and as such, seek control over something and are somehow thus responsible for the abuse of horses is rather infuriating (as is his failure to master the English language).

"Suffering from a major case of intellectual inferiority complex, which is a weakness often exploited by the so-called "progressive" ruling powers, which are men and not women. This feminine intellectual inferiority complex has been exploited by men already in my young days in all the communist countries and it finally arrived here in the states about 40 years ago (the seventies). It should be noted that the more a woman suffers from this intellectual inferiority complex the more she will desire (or dream of) respect and recognition not only by men but also by women.And so they often become some activists, often sexists, go to some school and then when debating something always referring to some researches or so-called "scientific facts". They are simply eager to become someone respected and acknowledged, or better yet, admired or celebrated, and so they have this urge to prove themselves not only to themselves but to others, hence so much of the competition (sports, horse shows etc.) in this feminized world.
In short, the feminization of the "modern world" has only one purpose, which is about the weakening of men in order to control them, and women were always used for such purpose from the times when human beings begun to seek power over one another. Remember folks that whenever you believe that some woman is in power or in control, there is always someone else pulling her strings to control men and women through her, and at the top of this unseen hierarchical tower there are no women."

Does any of this make sense to anyone else? It certainly seems to be full of logical fallacies.

These comments are also relatively telling of the writer's ignorance and bias:

"A genuine lack of awareness, as most women simply have no clue what is going on, which is mostly caused by the following flaws."

"Denial, as most women due to their judgmental nature cannot handle guilt and/or the fear of harming life."

WTH?? *sigh* So much stupid and so few places to discard bodies.

Man, I missed all of that! I had no idea exactly how messed up he is!

Western
May. 30, 2011, 07:39 PM
LOL, read this site a while ago. The delivery is harsh, he's an obvious misogynist (sp?), but if you can get past your personal feelings on his abrasive manner, there is a lot of truth there.

Agreed!:) Except he answers to the accusation that he's a chauvanist quite nicely on his correspondence page. He even says that he likes women! I just left the thread wherein Rick Gore is accused of being a chauvanist, too, & I also didn't find that with him.

ThreeFigs
May. 30, 2011, 10:54 PM
I doubt very much that there is more truth than misogyny.

I'm sure he likes women -- as long as they know their place!

It doesn't help your cause to insult and belittle half your audience.

To echo NotABreed, he's an ass.