PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Soirree: food? drinks?

Mukluk
May. 22, 2011, 02:44 PM
Hi all. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier Preakness post. The Black Eyed Susans were terrific as were the crab cakes. So what is traditional fare for the Belmont and/or what will you be serving?

Mukluk
May. 24, 2011, 12:16 AM
I realize this post is probably a tad (or two or three) premature. I just get excited at the prospect of watching those beautiful TBs race and having yummy food and tasty drinks to go with. I also try to figure out which of the horses might be related to my horse, perhaps my horses 39th cousin 52 times removed!!!

DLee
May. 24, 2011, 11:21 AM
Being a NY'bred myself and having family in upstate who still owns and farms orchards, I vote for something with apples. :)

sportinghorsepolo
May. 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hi all. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier Preakness post. The Black Eyed Susans were terrific as were the crab cakes. So what is traditional fare for the Belmont and/or what will you be serving?

White Carnation
2 oz organic vodka
½ oz Peach Schnapps
2 oz freshly squeezed orange juice
splash of soda
splash of local cream
crushed ice
1. Stir liquors and soda together and pour over ice in a highball glass. Garnish with an orange slice.

Belmont Breeze
1 ½ oz Seagrams 7
3/4 oz Harveys Bristol Cream Sherry
½ oz organic lemon juice
1 oz simple syrup
1 ½ oz freshly squeeze orange juice
1 ½ oz organic cranberry juice
1. Shake all ingredients with ice and top with soda water. Garnish with a fresh strawberry, a mint sprig, and a lemon wedge.

As for traditional Belmont fare, apple pie and some sort of NY cheddar on my cheese tray will be the only real "traditional NY" food. If anyone knows of something better please tell me!

vineyridge
May. 24, 2011, 06:06 PM
Nathan's Hot Dogs. :) Egg creams. Bagels. Reubens.

Belmont is an NYC track.

Mukluk
May. 25, 2011, 02:03 AM
Drink ideas seem interesting. I am way big into cheddar cheese!!! This is going to be fun!!!

Artful
May. 26, 2011, 03:20 PM
Pizza. Because NYC is where good pizza is from.:D
Cheesecake.
Chicken wings. (OK=Buffalo. But, they're good!)
Long Island Iced Tea.

Mukluk
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:06 AM
Bump. The Belmont is getting closer!!!

Glimmerglass
Jun. 7, 2011, 03:48 PM
A nice but costly way to support fan enthusiasm ...

From today's (June 7) edition of The Wall Street Journal - A Lifelong Taste for Horse Racing (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304432304576369601068513980.html?K EYWORDS=shake+shack#articleTabs=article)

His promotional offer (initially done for the Preakness) is reiterated for Belmont: If Shackleford wins the Belmont he will give away free cups of frozen custard at Shake Shack that afternoon to close.

On Friday, he says, Shake Shack will unveil a one-day special called the Shake Shackleford: chocolate and vanilla custard with a shot of java for "lots of early speed," Meyer said. Plus, he's stocking up cups for a potential Shackleford redux Saturday.

"Maybe this one will put us out of business," Meyer said. "Of course, the best way to make sure it doesn't rain is to have an umbrella. The best way to make sure Shackleford doesn't win is to have plenty of cups on hand."

The betting window at Saratoga Race Course is now surrounded on both sides by two of Meyer's restaurants, Blue Smoke and Shake Shack. He installed the outposts last summer.

It was an excuse to visit the upstate New York track four times, and on one of those occasions, he gave a speech to his new employees right on the dirt, stopping every eight minutes or so to let the tractor roll by. He counts this among the great thrills of his life.

SunkenMeadow
Jun. 7, 2011, 04:01 PM
I second the Long Island Iced Tea.

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:34 PM
Why this drink isn't catching on big time, I don't know... :cool:

"The Tremendous Machine"

3 ounces bourbon
½ ounce dry vermouth
½ ounce Grand Marnier
Leaves of 2 sprigs rosemary, lightly crushed
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 whiskey-spiked cherry.

Fill a shaker with ice and add bourbon, vermouth, Grand Marnier, rosemary and Angostura bitters. Shake until well chilled. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with cherry.

InWhyCee Redux
Jun. 9, 2011, 01:38 PM
And since NY restaurants serve brunch all afternoon, you can't go wrong with a bagel buffet, with plenty of lox and cream cheese.

And for true NYC authenticity — bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches, preferably made with stale rolls, from the corner deli. ;)

pnalley
Jun. 10, 2011, 07:39 PM
I love a good Long Island Ice Tea!

Reubens & cheesecake get my vote. Yum!