PDA

View Full Version : The Belmont...and a hint for NBC/Versus

findeight
May. 22, 2011, 10:34 AM
Far as the race, too early to say anything without knowing who is coming back and who will test them. But think Shackleford won on guts, has been running out of his skin his last 3 starts and has nothing to prove. Come to think of it, niether does AK, interesting to see if they rest him and where they go from here. I enjoyed the race, clean and well run...and well won.

But, for NBC/Versus? Two things. First, THANK YOU for the high quality of the entire broadcast, the insightful comments and interviews and resisting the urge to dumb it down with stupid celebrity comments. And, regardless of how anybody feels about the man, the Irwin interview WAS on point and thought provoking, agree or not. Like any other sports interview involving controversy and opinion.

The other? So help me, if I hear the term "New Shooter" one more time from yet another announcer, I am going to shoot the tv. No kidding, you pounded it into the ground very much like Howard Cossell did the term "Early Foot" years and years ago (not to date myself) when he used it in every sentence in a 2 hour broadcast of one of the Classics back on ABC.

When everybody "miced up" uses a term in every sentence and twice in some????? Tiresome-sound like a parrot. Try getting some more original writers or the director whispering in the earpiece how many times the term has already been used by other commentators.

But...I may start watching racing again. Looking forward to their summer broadcasts.

ivy62
May. 22, 2011, 11:02 AM
I remember in years past the broadcasting would go over the history of the races and the horses who won them. Educate people on the better parts of racing too... What happened to that, did it die with Jim Macay?
I love when they show replays of horses running their hearts out. Triple crown winners too and of course the spoilers....
ust had to say...

findeight
May. 22, 2011, 11:09 AM
Oh, I thought they did a good job with clips of some great horses in classic races, including the TC winners back as far as they exist on film.

Far better then we have been getting on race telecasts the past decade or so.

danceronice
May. 22, 2011, 11:18 AM
NBC: You own networks other than Versus, which other companies are willing to carry. Please use those. I'm not going to get crappy Dish network just for three races.

And please retire the phrase "New shooter" FOREVER. You wore it out already.

findeight
May. 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
It's more then just the undercard and replay/rehash of 3 races, they are doing the Saratoga meet too, like we used to see so we can, you know, FOLLOW the sport and not just read other peoples opinions on various horses, trainers and jocks...

Maybe if it does well with viewership, they will consider other stations.

But did anyboy else notice Indy Pole Day qualifying and a whole lot of live Motor Sport coverage is turning up on Versus as well? Everything except the marquee event itself, much that used to be on the broadcast networks flagship stations.

ivy62
May. 22, 2011, 04:30 PM
We never saw the post race show, did anyone? We cannot compete with NASCAR or Indy they are 2 of the largest fan based sports in America. I just wish theyw ould show more about the horses not thet rainers personalities....
Then again NBC has been promoting more racing then any other station these days...

MintHillFarm
May. 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
We never saw the post race show, did anyone? We cannot compete with NASCAR or Indy they are 2 of the largest fan based sports in America. I just wish theyw ould show more about the horses not thet rainers personalities....
Then again NBC has been promoting more racing then any other station these days...

There was one on Versus, it was supposed to be on at 6:30. It started late due to auto racing, that show ran late. And it was cut down to less than the scheduled 1/2 hour because of cycle racing. What can I say...

I think Versus does a good job. NBC could show a bit more of the paddock as well as the post parade though, just my opinion...

Linny
May. 22, 2011, 05:24 PM
New shooter must go and also, if you buy the rights to a race, SHOW THE D@MNED RACE!!! They owned the Dixie but didn't air it.

judybigredpony
May. 22, 2011, 05:47 PM
New Shooter..and so HATE "Connections" ewww like an electrical appliance...

WHY OH WHY did they not have breeders, and sire n dam like they used to...we love to know that stuff....

Donna get rid of the white butch "do".

Mara
May. 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
Tom Hammonds looks like a sad caricature of a drag queen. Please do something about his excessive makeup.

ivy62
May. 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
Does Tom Durkin not call races any more? One interesting fact that I found out was the Trophy for the Preakness is the highest valued trophy in sports. It was even buried during the war to prevent it from being melted down. It spends its time in the Baltimore Art museum....The winner gets a copy...

Paragon
May. 23, 2011, 01:35 AM
I recall reports stating that Durkin chose to end his tenure calling the TC races this year. He's still working otherwise.

Glimmerglass
May. 23, 2011, 05:45 PM
No Dialed In at Belmont (http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/Zito-disappointed-in-result-1390389.php)

"There are other races, you know," Zito said, referring to the Travers at Saratoga. "This is just a courageous horse. I am really proud of him and I feel bad for him."

Sandy M
May. 24, 2011, 06:44 PM
I remember in years past the broadcasting would go over the history of the races and the horses who won them. Educate people on the better parts of racing too... What happened to that, did it die with Jim Macay?
I love when they show replays of horses running their hearts out. Triple crown winners too and of course the spoilers....
ust had to say...

THIS. I am Soooooo sick and tired of the "human interest" c **p about the former jockey's trainer's friend's second cousin who is poor/autistic/broke his leg/lost his dog/was there when the horse was foaled, etc., etc. ad infinitum. Please tell me about the HORSE, his breeding, his record, the race and former winners and records, etc.

Mara
May. 24, 2011, 11:02 PM
THIS. I am Soooooo sick and tired of the "human interest" c **p about the former jockey's trainer's friend's second cousin who is poor/autistic/broke his leg/lost his dog/was there when the horse was foaled, etc., etc. ad infinitum. Please tell me about the HORSE, his breeding, his record, the race and former winners and records, etc.

Good, so I'm not feeling quite so hard-hearted now! :lol:
There was a piece about the trainer of Norman Asbjornssen's trainer and his son who lost his leg to osteosarcoma. Now, I'm glad the kid lived and that he's doing well, but really, I didn't care to see all of the family's baby pictures, footage of the son playing soccer, etc. I would, however, have liked a little information on the dang HORSE. (Who probably didn't belong there, but that's another story).

I'm sure they're great people, but people are not why I follow racing.