PDA

View Full Version : Entry Form Basics

GimmeQs
May. 22, 2011, 06:18 AM
I had some questions about my first rated show entry form and couldn't find any answers here.

What's the USDF affidavit fee?

Does my trainer really have to sign as my coach and must I list his ID numbers?

Are stabling fees usually per night or for the whole show (plus sometimes the day before)? Does one usually get a discount if not staying the whole time (doesn't mention it on the form but I'd really like for this to be true!)?

When you write out the classes you're riding, my form doesn't ask for specific dates. So do I just write the class number several times (and maybe make a side note of which day)?

Thanks!

Also, unrelated show question: can one school in the designated test/show rings when the ring is not actively being used by a judge?

dudleyc
May. 22, 2011, 07:20 AM
I had some questions about my first rated show entry form and couldn't find any answers here.

What's the USDF affidavit fee?

I believe that is the fee you have to pay if you have a USDF number but do not have photocopied proof included with your entry

Does my trainer really have to sign as my coach and must I list his ID numbers?

I always sign as my own trainer and coach and use my numbers - sometimes I have a coach sometimes I don't, sometimes at the bigger shows, I will have some unexpected trainer be available to help me warm-up...I'll be interested what others do

Are stabling fees usually per night or for the whole show (plus sometimes the day before)? Does one usually get a discount if not staying the whole time (doesn't mention it on the form but I'd really like for this to be true!)?

Stabling fees are for the whole show.

When you write out the classes you're riding, my form doesn't ask for specific dates. So do I just write the class number several times (and maybe make a side note of which day)?

Thats what I do so.."4th level 3 sat"
"4th level 3 sun"

Thanks!

Also, unrelated show question: can one school in the designated test/show rings when the ring is not actively being used by a judge?

NO!! Sometimes the show rings are available for schooling the day before the show starts. Sometimes the rings are available to handwalk around the perimeter very early in the morning. Be sure to note where the warm up rings are. Also if you are going to be lunging, there are usually designated areas where lunging is permitted.

AllWeatherGal
May. 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
Q:What's the USDF affidavit fee?

A: It looks like $5 ... see this form (which you must also complete) http://www.usdf.org/docs/ShowFlash/web/GeneralInfo/Before/Non-MemberIDAffidavitForm.pdf

mjhco
May. 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
Some shows DO offer stalls by the day or night. Or by the entire show. Ask the show secretary how long the night stalls are for. Some shows are different in how they count it.

I have paid by the night when I do not intend to be at the entire show.

joiedevie99
May. 22, 2011, 04:11 PM
If you include your proof of USDF membership, you don't pay the affidavit fee.

The person who signs as trainer is the person who has care, custody and control of the horse during the show. If you do your own care, you sign.

If your trainer is coaching you on the grounds, their numbers should be put under Coach. However, I almost always forget and no ones cares.

Around here, stall fees are for the duration of the show. It should specify in the prizelist. If not, call the show secretary and ask.

Most shows use different numbers for different days, i.e. 143 is Fourth Level Test 3 on the first day, 243 is Fourth level test 3 on the second day... If not, you should write the day in next to the class number.

GimmeQs
May. 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the answers!

A couple more:

Is the USDF card the only one I need to make a copy of (no kind of USEF documentation?)?

Is the closing date for postmarked or for in their hands?

SBrentnall
May. 22, 2011, 04:48 PM
I include the following cards: USDF & USEF (both horse and rider), local GMOs (CDS and DASC for me). It really depends on the rating of the show and should be stated on the show premium.

Likewise, closing/postmarked will be noted on the premium. It usually says "Entries received by" or "Entries postmarked by."

MysticOakRanch
May. 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
Also remember your horse's cards - you need horse ID numbers. You can pull all cards and numbers EXCEPT your local gmo from the USEF website, and submit these as proof of membership and of horse identification: http://www.eqverification.org/

Technically, a coach is anyone who is paid to provide you with riding assistance while at the show. If your trainer (or someone else) is helping you at the show and is in paid status, they must sign off as coach.

As Joie already said, trainer is the person who is responsible for the horse while on the grounds.

GimmeQs
May. 23, 2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks again!

There wasn't any specifics for closing dates, just says "closing date May 24th" but trainer thinks its postmarked, so I'm not going to Fed Ex. I called the secretary but she hasn't yet called back (I'm sure she's busy!).

I have my USEF card in a safe place ~ I just can't remember where that place is! So I'll write the number down and add on a $10 fee. :(

I have both my horse's numbers.

....Oh god, now I really have to send this thing in and actually show! :eek:

GimmeQs
May. 23, 2011, 10:41 AM
Ok, one more: there is a "non negotiable check fee of $25" for this show (it's Mystic Valley in CT, FYI) ~ if I take this at face value, I have to pay $25 for using a check (they don't take credit cards and I'm not putting $500 in the mail). ?!?!?!?

However, this could be a silly way to say a RETURNED check fee....

If I don't include the $25 will they not take my entry because I'm short?

If I DO include it, will they refund me the $25 if I over paid??

MysticOakRanch
May. 23, 2011, 11:21 AM
I have my USEF card in a safe place ~ I just can't remember where that place is! So I'll write the number down and add on a $10 fee. :(

I have both my horse's numbers.

....Oh god, now I really have to send this thing in and actually show! :eek:

Download your cards from the USEF link - it is FREE!

Janet
May. 23, 2011, 11:23 AM
The "Trainer" for USEF purposes is the person responsible for making the decisions about feed and medication both before and at the show.

In other words, the "USEF Trainer" is the person assumed to be responsible if a drug test comes back positive.

If you keep your horse at home, then YOU are most likely the "USEF Trainer".

If you are PAYING someoe to instruct you at the show, then they are supposed to be listed ascoach, and sign. But this is often ignored.

I would double check with USEF before taking advantage of the "affidavit" for the missing USEF card. There was a rule change that went into effect this year (I think) which got rid of the use of this affidavit because
A) it was abused
B) it was a major paperwork hassle for the secretaries.
The show may have neglected to update the entry form.

But I think you can download proof of memebership from the USEF web site, and include that instead

Janet
May. 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Ok, one more: there is a "non negotiable check fee of $25" for this show (it's Mystic Valley in CT, FYI) ~ if I take this at face value, I have to pay $25 for using a check (they don't take credit cards and I'm not putting $500 in the mail). ?!?!?!?

However, this could be a silly way to say a RETURNED check fee....

If I don't include the $25 will they not take my entry because I'm short?

If I DO include it, will they refund me the $25 if I over paid??

You can call and ask, but "non-negotiable check" is the legal term for what is informally called a "bounced" or "returned" check. I would assume that you don't owe it unless you DO send a non-negotiable check.

If you overpay, on that or anything else, they should refund you the difference.

GimmeQs
May. 23, 2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all your guys' help.

For anyone else with entry form questions, the online documentation website for both horse and rider USEF and USDF doc is eqverification.org ~ very helpful!