View Full Version : Finding Nearby Farms (co-op style) for Quality Produce, etc?

May. 21, 2011, 01:31 PM
Mods, I'm sorry if this is a little off topic, but I know a few COTHers keep other farm animals in addition to horses and do some selling and/or processing or livestock and/or produce.

I'll be back in Houston in about 2 months after almost 2 1/2 years in Guatemala and really would like to get involved in one of the co-op type organizations where you pay a weekly or monthly fee and get a box of seasonal fruits and/or veggies. Also am looking for where I can get pasture finished beef, ACTUAL free range eggs (like what I'm used to here!) and things of the sort. The most important things I'm looking for are produce and eggs. I don't eat that much meat, but would still be very interested in finding out more about what's available nearby.

Basically, to continue eating the way I have been here. All cows eat only grass (the farmers usually can't afford to spare corn to feed livestock, it all goes to the family's mouths in one way or another.) The chickens often don't have coops, they clean up after other animals, have a remarkably varied diet, and produce these amazing eggs with rather hard shells and very bright orange yolks (yay keratin!). Everything is local, because no one can afford to bring or take anything far away.

Can anyone point me to a general website or specific ones for the Houston area? I hope this isn't too far OT, and I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much!

May. 21, 2011, 02:47 PM
I did a search for CSA (community supported agriculture), what that is being called now, in Houston and found quite a few.

CSA Houston (http://www.google.com/m?hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-browser-type&q=CSA+houston+texas)

May. 21, 2011, 04:04 PM
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much, LBR. I just wasn't searching with the right words, definitely didn't know they were calling it CSA these days.

May. 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
You're welcome:D

May. 25, 2011, 12:31 PM
Also check out www.eatwild.com. The web site lists farms that produce all sorts of food, typically organically.

Here's the Texas list:

Daydream Believer
May. 25, 2011, 01:19 PM
Besides Eatwild.com there is also www.localharvest.org.

Once you get eating really fresh and good food, it's impossible to go back to the "stuff" they sell at the market isn't it? I can't keep my eggs in stock either...they are the true free range also.

Best of luck to you on your move home.