PDA

View Full Version : Another Feed Scoop Use

ThisTooShallPass
May. 21, 2011, 01:00 AM
My great hunter of a stray cat (now spayed), just brought in two baby birds. I had no idea she brought one in, let alone two!

Dog runs to the door letting me know somone was there. It is 10PM, rats, it might be my drunk neighbor again. Nope, it was the great hunter of the stray cats I have taken in (& spayed). Fine. She immediately comes in. I close door. No big deal. I go back to what I was doing. Then realise there is just way too much activity in going on behind me.

Oh geez, she has brought in a baby bird. Of course the dogs want in on her action. I really do not want to touch it. What if it has lice or something?

Light bulb goes off. I just washed the feed scoop today & it is in the dish drainer. I'll use that! :)

Fine. Dispose of the poor fledgling. Clorox out the feed scoop.

Go back to what I had originally been doing.

AGAIN, there is way too much commotion going on behind me. :confused: There is a second fledling this cat is playing with, & the dogs of course are highly interested all over again.

Out comes the freshly cleaned feed scoop, again. :yes:

This is a whisp of a cat, & I did not see one bird, let alone two brought in by her! Not that I was looking. Though seriously, one should have been hard to miss, let alone two. They were fairly good sized.

So there you have it, yet another use for your feed scoop. Bird removal. :winkgrin:

Mukluk
May. 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
They also make lovely planters. Just poke in a few drain holes plant something in it and hook over a fence.

Bells
May. 21, 2011, 11:58 AM
Also good for throwing at the rooster when he gets cocky around me.

MunchkinsMom
May. 21, 2011, 04:52 PM
That was quick thinking on your part!

I bought one to use to scoop the dog food out of the 50 pound bag and into the rubbermaid containers, since it is too heavy for me to lift and pour.

I had a similar experience, 4 dogs gathered around the dead body of a mole in the middle of the front yard, no way to get the dogs contained in the house so I could get a shovel to dispose of the mole, so I grabbed two sticks, and carried the mole chopstick style with the dogs dancing around my legs, and tossed it over the fence into the woods. UGH!

At least they didn't bring it into the house via the doggy door.

ThisTooShallPass
May. 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
Last night it was one of the fattest moles I have ever seen. I am so not getting the dog door I so desperately want. I am already thinking I need a household feed feed scoop. A dog door, I cannot imagine the things the cats would bring in. They are great hunters. That is why I have them. And they love followwing me to feed the stock. But I really wish they did not play with their trophies in my living room.

BTW, I love the idea of feed scoop flower planters on the fencing.

MunchkinsMom
May. 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
Last night it was one of the fattest moles I have ever seen. I am so not getting the dog door I so desperately want. I am already thinking I need a household feed feed scoop. A dog door, I cannot imagine the things the cats would bring in. They are great hunters. That is why I have them. And they love followwing me to feed the stock. But I really wish they did not play with their trophies in my living room.

BTW, I love the idea of feed scoop flower planters on the fencing.

That is probably why I don't have house cats (well, the 4 house dogs are a bigger factor). It's bad enough when the dogs bring their prizes into the house (once it was half a dead squirrel, luckily they brought it to my DH and not into my office). Another time it was another mole, luckily this was pre-dog door days, I saw that the brittany had something in her mouth, I told her to "DROP IT" and she spit out the dead mole on the front steps. UGH!

However, with dogs, I will say that the dog door saves me from getting too much exercise, as I was getting up every hour to let a dog in or out all day long!

SonnysMom
May. 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
Oh, yes the things the cats bring through the dog door- moles, birds, mice, baby rabbits, chipmunks, frogs all in various stages of living, dead, whole and parts.
I love finding just the heart on the floor of the basement.:eek:

One time the 8 lb 16 year old cat was attacking the 80 lb lab everytime the lab went near the couch. Normally those two get along just fine. Poor baby bunny, alive and under the couch. Cat was guarding his catch from the dog (and winning). Bunny went to small animal vet to be helped across the bridge- too much kitty damage to survive.

Mukluk
Jun. 7, 2011, 12:14 AM
My kitties bring in lizards. Lots and lots of lizards! I feel so sorry for them. Some I am able to release- which always includes a stern lecture to avoid cats.... others... not so much... RIP. And in case you don't know Kitty Heaven and Lizard Hell are one and the same.