PDA

View Full Version : So Where Would You Look Ideally?

LuckyGirl
May. 20, 2011, 11:27 AM
I am considering purchasing a rather nice facility and am looking for some advice. I am curious about where someone might look (other than word of mouth only) if you were hoping to attract an accomplished FEI trainer to base their operations out of said place? I'm not openly looking yet, as we don't own it yet, but I'm curious what process others have used and what sort of working relationship has been the most successful in these situations.

Please PM me if you have ideas around either or both. Or would you exclusively use word of mouth?

LG

2tempe
May. 20, 2011, 11:53 AM
Just some thoughts from a client of such a trainer, and a person who has been at several barns over the years.
It depends a lot on where you are geographically. If you are in a location where there is a fair amount of dressage activity I would think that word of mouth could get you what you are looking for. In a more remote area, it may require more of an advertising approach and you will need to have or create some type of draw for the person to relocate. In my desire to access training, I have often trailered out from my boarding location to where the trainer is working - I think it is important to allow people to trailer in for lessons. Not all barns where I've been have allowed this.

In my prior life in the north, both hunter trainers and some dressage trainers moved locations fairly frequently, and for a wide range of reasons.

LuckyGirl
May. 20, 2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks 2Tempe.

I would absolutely allow for trailer-ins and have done that myself! It's a very strong dressage community so perhaps word of mouth is the best way.

I'm still curious what others have done and what has worked the best for all involved.

ToN Farm
May. 20, 2011, 12:18 PM
I have a question, rather than an answer. Why would you want to buy a facility and bring in a trainer? Would it be so that you could have full access to that trainer, and he/she would pretty much be exclusive to you?

LuckyGirl
May. 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
No, I don't personally own enough horses to warrant someone being exclusive to me. :lol:

The "why" is because it's an incredible place and might be a great opportunity for someone.

dotneko
May. 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
Well, I have a fabulous place for sale in Massachusetts.
We are New England dressage central. There are over
20 recognized shows within a two hour drive of us.
We can always use new blood :winkgrin:
Dot

LuckyGirl
May. 20, 2011, 12:48 PM
sorry - should have specified. We have found a potential place already. Just curious about how folks have developed a partnership with a trainer and also the ins and outs of a trainer partnership and what the pitfalls have been on both sides.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
May. 20, 2011, 03:11 PM
Oh bummer, I was thinking buy the historic stables in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco that have been empty for years now, renovate historically sensibly but horse friendly and make it the SRS of San Francisco. MY DREAM!!! lol. :) Or maybe, if you have spare money, give it to me and I'll do it! :)

CHT
May. 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
What about researching BNTs you like, and then talking to them to see if they are mentoring someone that may be suitable. This may increase the likelyhood of finding an "up and comer" who uses training methods you respect.

Concordia
May. 24, 2011, 07:01 PM
First, you need to make sure that you have established yourself in the equine community. A positive reputation is your best asset.

Having a well known FEI trainer will do a lot to draw clients, but you'll need to get the word out.

Facebook, believe it or not is a great way to get the word out. Set up a Business page and post the link to your professional website. A well utilized FB campaign can go viral and litterally spread your name to thousands in a matter of hours or days....

Print media in the form of brochures, business cards and signs well distributed will help get more details out.

Attend shows, clinics and other events. Overtime people will get to know you and become familiar with your facility.

Advertising on your horse trailer is also a great way as people will see this every time you are out. But keep it professional, don't let it get tacky. The farm name, name of trainer, a few basics (i.e. Dressage lessons, training and sales) phone number, address and website.

Make your website name easy to remember. Mine is (Farmname)Dressage.com. ALL of my media has this address on it.

Volunteer for different organizations, ie your local GMO board, horse shows, clinics, etc.

Listing sites like Equine.com, etc offer trainer and facility listings. My state offers many different directories - sign up for as many as you can find so you will generate leads from multiple places.

Cowgirl
May. 24, 2011, 07:12 PM
Bring in various people to teach you first, or go to them. See whose style you like. Then start the discussion.

I know someone who built a facility and allowed three trainers (her own and two others) to come in and then ended up really HATING the style of one of the trainers and the parting of the ways was very difficult. You need to make sure that you are extending invitations to people whose riding you want to see on a daily basis.