PDA

View Full Version : Two part question

staceyk
May. 20, 2011, 10:20 AM
Hi,

I have a lovely pair of near-new Petrie boots (Anky Elegance) for lessons, clinics, and shows. My $70 Devonaire Freedom field boots have been great for regular riding but they are finally falling apart after 3-4 years of solid wear for mucking, riding, barn work.

Devonaire does not make them any more :-(. Can someone recommend a cheap pair of boots that meet these criteria?

-- Under $200 (and under $100 if possible)
-- synthetic leather fine
-- Comes in slim calf (<14")
-- spanish tops OR comes in tall/xtall or is at LEAST 18" tall

I've tried Saxon, their slim boot is still too wide.

Thanks!

Stacey

Piaffe11
May. 20, 2011, 11:20 AM
I ride in a pair of Mountain Horse Venice field boots (also comes as Firenze - the dress boot version). Extremely comfortable and durable! They were broken in after a few rides and I never got one blister from them. I know they come in a slim calf, has a spanish top, and is over 18" :) They're also a really nice quality of leather (compared to their older models)...

I also got mine for $175!

Anyway - highly recommend looking into them!

Good luck!

scubed
May. 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
Depending on foot size, the ovation may be tall enough and slim enough http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1-3863

You might check here to see if Devon Aires you like are still available: http://www.horseloverz.com/search.php?ss=boots&fp=&fb=&fs=&fc=&&fx=37&cp=4&so=&sf=&si=

Mountain Horse Firenze in slim/tall http://www.victorycanter.com/Mountain-Horse-Firenze-Dress-Boot-p-22826.html

CatPS
May. 20, 2011, 02:25 PM
I second the Mountain Horse Venice Field/Firenze Dress boots. I have a pair of the Venice and absolutely adore them. They've been quite durable and soooo comfortable! Great to walk around in, nice and grippy in the stirrups. If you shop around there are several places online that sell them for less than $200.

staceyk
May. 22, 2011, 07:32 AM
I'm leaning toward the Firenzes, do they run big given that there are no half sizes? Has anyone owned the tuffrider baroques? They're supposed to have a narrow calf...

Piaffe11
May. 23, 2011, 01:46 AM
I would say they run a bit bigger than average, but definitely not too bad... I normally wear a 9 1/2 (or at least my left foot does) and the size 9 fits me great!

Beentheredonethat
May. 23, 2011, 08:27 PM
I vote Mountain Horse, too. You can find them cheaper than advertised price. I have to say I also ordered some Ovation front zip boots because they were the only ones I could find, and when I found another pair on sale, I got those, two. The Ovation have been really nice and look great, too. I have a super wide calf, super wide foot, normal size, so am very hard to fit--I'm sure they go the other way.

Leprechaun
May. 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
Where are you located? Could you get to a good big tack shop? Even if the don't have exactly what you need you'd get a better feel for what would work best.

Dramapony_misty
May. 24, 2011, 11:45 AM
Depending upon what foot size you are, if you are looking for super-cheap all-weather field boots, try the Equi-Star field boots. The size 7 and 7 1/2 regualr calf is 13 3/4" and 18 1/4" tall.
http://www.smartpakequine.com/equistar-ladies-allweather-synthetic-field-boot-8967p.aspx

If you are looking for leather, the Mountain Horse ones that people have mentioned above are beautiful too.

staceyk
May. 27, 2011, 12:47 PM
Well, it wasn't that efficient but I found a pair of Mountain Horse Firenzes that are darn near perfect, though twice the price of my Devon aires. The tall/slim size looks great and the ankle fits so close to my real ankle they look custom. The 8 is a nice compromise, I normally wear an 8.5 but with thin socks these feel great, only a little snug with winter socks.

The only minor fit issue with fit is that the calf is a bit roomy. Oh, and I don't need/would rather the boot not have a fabric stretch panel which "shows" on the outside of the boot, but I knew it was there when i ordered it.

Mountain Horse DOES do a nice boot! I will definitely try their dressage boot if/when my "best boots" retire...

Piaffe11
May. 27, 2011, 12:51 PM
Glad you were able to find something that works! The Mountain Horse boots are really nice :)

luchiamae
May. 29, 2011, 08:36 PM
Love my Mountain Horses for at home :)

Blkarab
May. 31, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm leaning toward the Firenzes, do they run big given that there are no half sizes? Has anyone owned the tuffrider baroques? They're supposed to have a narrow calf...

I have the Tuffrider Baroques, and yes, the calf does run small. I am probably going to have to sell mine, because they keep coming unzipped when I ride. They are a lovely boot:), great leather, very nice cut, and overall, I love them...they just don't fit me very well through the calf (I have a very small foot, and need a wide calf).

Alex and Bodie's Mom
May. 31, 2011, 03:54 PM
I found that my Ariats ran small in the calf -- I got them originally in a 14 calf, and had zippers put in, and then outgrew them. You can get Ariats pretty cheap on eBay. Also, I love my Dublin Aristocrats -- comfortable, and wide enough for my fat feet. :)