PDA

View Full Version : Seeking dressage saddle advice

aWp
May. 18, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'm looking for a saddle for my four-year old Dutch Warmblood, who has slightly higher withers, and a warmblood back. I'd like a flatter tree, since the curving ones tend to rock forward on him. Right now we are in an Albion Platinum Genesis, and he is getting more and more unhappy with it. The more I learn about the Genesis models, the more I understand why!

I've ridden him in a Detente Isis, which seemed pretty good, and a Black Country Kur, which was too low in the withers for him, and the metal ring holding the billets seemed to bug him in the sides. I'd like to find something used, of good quality, wool flocked, and would love some help figuring out which makes/models might work. Sadly, I can't see the trees while shopping!

If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear it. I'm looking for a MW tree, and I'm on the small/petite side, so could take a 16.5 or 17 inch seat, and am just a hair under 5'4".

Thank you!

J-Lu
May. 18, 2011, 11:09 PM
Passier makes some saddles for flatter-backed horses and I'm thinking of the Relevant model (if they still make it) for your horse. Bates also, IMO, cater well to flatter-backed horses. I think the Custom Saddlery Wolfgang Solo is also made on a flatter tree than their other models. These are the models I can think of off the top of my head, but you might want to peruse the catalogs and websites in order to check out the models. Also, I'd call the reps - many are good at explaining which saddle model has which kind of tree so you can make informed decisions on the used saddle market. Honestly, I've experienced many reps willing to explain thier saddles knowing that the buyer was going to ebay to purchase rather than purchase "new". Give it a whirl and good luck!

aWp
May. 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions--that's a good idea to call the reps and ask some questions!